Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

tele on Chain Of Fools

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by soul-o, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    Chain Of Fools is one of those oft- butchered bar band classics that it's easy to forget how amazing the original version actually is. Listening to Aretha tonight, I am struck by the tremolo guitar part played by Joe South. It sure sounds like a tele to me, but the e string is tuned down to a low C- Either that or it is a baritone guitar, but those low notes sound a bit floppy to me. Anybody have any insight? I think it was cut at Muscle Shoals if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure some of you must have played it over the years. I always tune my E string down to a C, but maybe I'm just weird that way. Also, the song so firmly in C minor, but I believe Joe plays a C major triad right before the vocals kick in. Anybody else hear that major 3rd?

2. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was too busy swapping pickups and trying to figure out if my body is made of one piece of ash or three to have time to learn to play a song!

3. Jim Flannery

Jim Flannery TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Greenup co. Ky
    Funny you should mention that old tune, soul-o........we did that song years ago....it was one of my favorites to play in that band.
    Unfortunately, I never got to tune the E string down to C.........the lady who sang it, did it in A. So we just played it standard tuning.

You mention the major/minor aspect of the tune: I always heard the subtile major thing going on in the background. I used variations of A sevenths for much of the rythym work.
    (with major 3rds)

And the guitar used on the original recording? I hope someone will enlighten me with the correct information, but somehow it sounds like it COULD have been a mustang/jaguar or other fender guitar. There's something about the tone that seems 'out of phase'

Of course, if I remember correctly,Joe South played with bare fingers.......sometimes playing that way creates a slightly out of phase tone.
    But that last is just a guess........I hope someone has the right answers!

4. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I read somewhere years ago that it was Duane Allman playing on Chain of Fools, and that he used a strat, not a tele.
    I know he was a full time session musician at Muscle Shoals, and recorded a bunch of stuff with Aretha.

5. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2009
    Foat Wuth, Texus
    Duane Allman did record with Aretha Franklin, but I think it was Joe South who picked on Chain of Fools. Aretha has a boxed set with the original, longer version of CoF. To me it is no where nearly as good as the edited version. Check it out!

6. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    See, now that's interesting (about you playing dominant seventh chords with a major 3rd- like a Mustang Sally thing). Aretha is totally laying into the minor 3rd in the melody, but you may be right about the guitar part. Also, the thing about Joe South using his fingers is helpful. It definitely has some twang to it.

7. rustybucket

rustybucket Former Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Durham
    Hehe...

8. Jim Flannery

Jim Flannery TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Greenup co. Ky
    Soul-o, I always liked tunes that were sort of 'ambiguous' (I think that's the term) as to whether they're major or minor. I could switch back and forth from maj to minor on that tune and it gave me much more room to improvise chords and solos.

I found that if used pentonic 'blues' scales for everything, I would sort of....run out of licks........adding the major 3rds really opened up the harmony of the tune to the point I could improv on it for 5 minutes and never play the same lick twice.

Every once in a while, when I felt like using some really 'outside' tones, I would do a phrase or two with minor 3rds and 6ths........just minor 6ths........it fit right in if I used as a quick passing tone.

9. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Nashville Tn.
    For What Its Worth...

I'm 99% sure that it was Joe South....on a Gretsch Country Gentleman!

Bill Hullett

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.