Tele noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by East Coast Rick, Apr 18, 2019.

1. East Coast Rick

East Coast Rick TDPRI Member

I've been coming to this forum for research for years and I've finally joined. Playing guitar is my favourite pass time. I like simple things in life. I'm not a collector of things either and am happy to let things go when I don't have a use for them. Having said that I've been thinking about getting a Telecaster for a long time and have been putting away cash waiting for the right one.

I listen to a lot of jazz and love the contemporary Tele players like Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Jim Campilongo. It's Frisell though who's convinced me that I need a Tele in my life. I've played a bunch of different ones at my local guitar shop and there's just nothing like that single coil sound. I've even gone as far as considering selling my beloved SG to increase my purchase power. Not sure yet what I'll do. On the one hand I feel like having one go-to guitar gets gear out of the way so I can focus on music. On the other hand I worry about giving up a great player for an unknown. I realize in the grand scheme of things that this is an easy problem to have.

My current gear includes:

• Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb (best money I ever spent)
    • 2008 Gibson SG Special with a fat neck and ebony board in blue
    • TC Electronics Flashback Mini, Ditto looper and Mojomojo overdrive
    • And a 1966 Epiphone Century made in Kalamazoo that belongs to my wife's side of the family but I'm its custodian for the time being
    I hope to get a used American Telecaster with single coils and the 3 saddle bridge. I'd love a blonde vintage reissue but it may be out of my price range. I've always purchased my guitars used.

I'd love to hear anyone's stories about having 1 guitar and or selling one to get one.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome!

If you see a used Baja in your area, check that out as well; you may be surprised.

Greggorios and East Coast Rick like this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to TDPRI :)

East Coast Rick likes this.
  4. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

If you love the SG, don't sell it. Save a bit longer - there'll be secondhand American Pro Tele"s all over the place.

Also worth looking out for used American Specials, Highway 1's,Baja"s.

While we're talking modern jazz Tele players, check out Jakob Bro.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I would hate to see you sell the SG to get a Tele -- figure out a way to have both, as they are SO different!

I might suggest lowering your sights on the Tele so as to save$$ there instead of selling the SG? Used Am Special, Baja, other MIMs, heck, even get a Squier CV Tele new, they are all great, cheaper, options to the Am Pro :)

6. East Coast Rick

Hadn't heard of Jakob Bro thanks! Listening to his Bay of Rainbows live album now. Cheers.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

One of each. Good idea. A good used Baja can be had for around $500 - $600 US, and other Americans will be a few hundred more. Not a huge expense - but a "plannable event" for sure.

Greggorios and Grateful Ape like this.
  8. East Coast Rick

Thanks all for the Baja suggestions. I hadn't really looked closely at those and aside from the switching they seem to have a lot of the vintage vibe and thicker neck that I'm after. As for selling the SG as I said it's crossed my mind but I doubt I would. It sounds great clean through the Princenton and I've gotten to know it really well. I'll update this thread when I finally get a Tele.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome....and I admire your attitude about not wanting to buy one of everything out there, and USING what you do have. While I've never owned nearly as many guitars at one time as many have, at one time I probably had eight or ten six-string electrics. (not counting a few acoustics and a couple basses) I'm now down to probably four or five electrics, and all I really play is my Telecaster, with a PRS as a back-up. I understand some guys needing several different guitars for different applications, but for what I do now, and where I play out, the Tele does everything I need.
    As far as finding a Telecaster for yourself.....try to just PLAY a bunch until you find the one that speaks to you.....and remember.....anything you don't like on it can be changed....and I mean ANYTHING!!!! ;)

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

And BTW....I like a THICK neck, and ended up ordering a custom neck from Warmoth.....like I said, "ANYTHING".

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

S

13. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Yep, agree. Don't discount rosewood board guitars either. The 60's Baja, '64 reissue, etc ..all great.

Also, the '58 reissue, Roadworns...yeah: Don't get hung up on the model - just try a load.

nojazzhere and East Coast Rick like this.
  14. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

Welcome from Albuquerque :D

15. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

16. East Coast Rick

Thanks to all of you guys for encouraging me to look into some other options besides used American. I picked up a very mint Mexican Tele today and I couldn’t be happier. This one not a Baja Tele which what was mentioned here but a special run for the big stores called the Fender FSRSpecial Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster with Maple Fretboard Butterscotch Blonde. The neck is not too slim and it has a 3 saddle bridge plus the 50’s Tele vibe.

IMG_2020.jpg

Buying used is always tricky because you never know how much time you have to inspect the instrument. I went in thinking that it needed to have:
    • a neck that felt good
    • have natural resonance unplugged
    • and weight that felt good to me. It ticked off all those boxes.
    • I plugged into a cheap amp that buddy had there to make sure all pickups worked and it was as it should be.

Now that I’ve got it home I’ve had more time to check it out and it’s in great shape. Not a scratch on it and the frets seem untouched and smooth.The intonation is pretty good based on my clip on tuner. And best of all it feels great in my hands.

I haven't yet checked out the pickups on my own amp but like nojazzhere said "anything" can me changed so I'm not sweating it.I can’t wait to really open it up on my Princeton tomorrow! Best of all I got it for $500 Canadian—about $375 US,or $330 EUR in today’s rates. The asking price had been $600 so I feel pleased with the deal. And I still I have money left over for a bone nut and a pro-setup!

IMG_2022.jpg IMG_2021.jpg

whoanelly15 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome Rick. Good to have you here and congrats on the new Tele. Nice choice. Play her in good health.

18. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love the pickups, they’re hot twisted teles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

Welcome

20. bravescoob

bravescoob TDPRI Member

I traded my SG for a Tele and never looked back. Problem was that Tele was HH so I swapped for an SS Tele and now I am truly happy with my guitar. Single coil Tele most versatile guitar out there and my favorite.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.