Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Tele Noir with Pau Ferro fretboard, some guidance please...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mercyfulfate, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mercyfulfate

Mercyfulfate TDPRI Member

May 14, 2017
    Tornado Alley
    Thanks a Million everyone for replying, I guess since i had no memory of seeing any Pau Ferro i panicked,lol the place where i bought this guitar didnt have the Rosewood in stock and im not a fan of Maple although they dont offer it in this special run. as a side note they could at least offer a gig bag. This will be my second Tele the first being an American Special in Lake Placid blue, that thing is great after i set it up of course to my liking.
    This Noir ( i just found out Noir is Black in French) i have full intentions and have already ordered some Graphtecs for the bridge a Hot Rails for the neck and i already have Roller string trees,then it should be good.
    I have a couple of Les Pauls and a USA Strat and all my Rgs and Jacksons from the old Metal Club days.

The Magic of the Telecaster is really working on me for sure. What an amazing guitar. There are so many great Tele players that can really do the deal on one. Its a pleasure to play one myself.

Thanks everyone for your insight!

2. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    I also had an SRV signature for many years that had the pay ferro board. Like others have stated, It's a tad harder than rosewood and the color is a little lighter and has a bit more red in it. I really liked it, but I also remember that it has more texture in the grain and not quite as smooth as rosewood. With that being said it wasn't much different than rosewood overall.

3. jonton2

jonton2 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    I have a noir tele and love it. Put in some N4 Noiseless and a recent setup. Plays just as nice as my MIA. And looks killer.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2014
    UK
    I'd never heard of pau ferro until a couple of weeks ago. Could not manufacturers stain it to look a little more like rosewood? Us guitarists are quite conservative when it comes to changes in spec and it strikes me that any move that lessens the overall impact of the change (if only in visual terms) would make it an easier sell for the guitar makers. Having said that i'm more of a maple man so it doesn't worry me too much but i'm just thinking out loud from a marketing point of view.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it might be a mistake to do anything to alter the appearance of the Pau Ferro, for all the reasons associated with CITES.

I think the best tactic is to show the wood in its best natural light, so inspectors around the world can get more accustomed to pau ferro and have the confidence to just wave these guitars through when folks travel abroad with them. If FMIC made an effort to disguise it, that might cause some indigestion. We've gotten used to some extremely pale East Indian Rosewood; so I see no reason why we couldn't adapt to this wood as well.

My issue with the Noir design is, I don't crave a black headstock. Instead, I would like something such as Jackadder has done - very cool indeed! :^)

7. Mercyfulfate

Mercyfulfate TDPRI Member

May 14, 2017
    Tornado Alley
    Thanks everyone for your replies!
    I got the Noir Tele and it is awesome! The Pau Ferro fretboard is amazing! i have the Duncan Hot Rails coming with an Orange Drop Cap as well. I put on the Roller string tree which is way better than the stamped metal one.
    The Pau Ferro Board looks amazing for real, pics when i get everything done to it.

pondcaster likes this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do you think that a slight variation in color is going to throw prospective buyers off?

And I never heard of guitarists categorized as conservative.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm gonna look for a neck with this fretboard for a future project.

10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Sounds like you got things backwards. Pau Ferro, IME is far smoother than Rosewood. The pores are tighter and more closed giving a smoother feel/look

Re hardness; RW is also harder than PF. RW Janka ~2300, Pau Ferro Janka ~1960
    For reference 'Hard' Maple is ~1400 and ebony is usually around 3000

11. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2014
    UK
    I don't think it would bother me that much personally but yes i do think that a lot of guitarists are quite conservative when it comes to changes in tried and tested specifications. Look at the controversy it caused on Les Paul forums when Gibson started doing the Les Paul Standard with weight relief as standard. Many Les Pauls players hated it, and that was a change that could not even be seen but it was a change from how they had always been made so lots of people hated it because of that.

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We're taking about a fretboard here.

It wouldn't bother 99% of Tele players here, and certainly wouldn't bother 99% of first time Tele buyers.

You were claiming it was a weak marketing point using this material, but I have to disagree.

Damn no.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    It would be interesting to know the Janka scale hardness of the "manufactured wood" materials like Gibson's "Richlite" and the relative newcomer from the UK "Rocklite!" FWIW, and given my love for the "feel" of ebony, I'm seriously considering trying the "Rocklite" on the next fretboard replacement I do!

http://www.rocklite.co.uk

Just My $.02,
    Gene

14. tersec

tersec TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    So. Il.

15. tersec

tersec TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    So. Il.
    It says hot p.u.'s. Does it have Texas specials in them?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.