Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Noir with Pau Ferro fretboard, some guidance please...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mercyfulfate, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mercyfulfate

Mercyfulfate TDPRI Member

May 14, 2017
    Tornado Alley/OK
    i am thinking of buying this all black MIM Tele as i really like it, it has the Pau Ferro fretboard wich i have no experience with,

does anyone know if its a good fretboard like Rosewood? And of course please comment on the Special Edition Noir Tele.

Thanks...

MadRocker and Twang Banger like this.

2. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

3. Mercyfulfate

May 14, 2017
    Tornado Alley/OK
    no link^^^ but its the new special edition Telecaster they are calling the Noir with matching headstock.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    It is also known as morado, and seems to be fairly common. I checked the physical specs. On average (there will be overlap), it looks better than maple and a little worse than EIR.

5. Mercyfulfate

May 14, 2017
    Tornado Alley/OK
    thanks Tony, i appreciate it. im just trying to figure out if i can do the Pau Ferro board, Its always been Rosewood or Ebony for the last 35 years,never tried or even seen Pau Ferro. is it as nice as Rosewood or Ebony? not sure, is it as hard/smooth?

6. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    It is a sharp looking Tele ! ... I don't think that you will notice any difference in the Pau Ferro board . Disclaimer : I have not personally played one either .

7. Tony Done

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    It is harder than maple, and maybe a bit softer than EIR. It seems be mostly fairly plain, and maybe a bit paler than EIR, but oil and age will fix that. You probably have seen it a few times and not realised that it wasn't EIR. One spec mentioned that it has a good tap tone, and finishes smooth. I personally would be happy with it, especially now that there are strong CITES restrictions on the true rosewoods. - But I've had enough trouble with ebony boards not to want any more to do with it. :)

IIRC there was an SRV sig model with a pau ferro board years ago when it was less common.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

8. Mercyfulfate

May 14, 2017
    Tornado Alley/OK
    Thanks a million Gents for your replies!

is it really a tighter grain? ive read it could be a little harder than Rosewood? would that be a good thing?

9. Tony Done

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Harder would be better, but I bet there is a big overlap in properties with EIR. Things like stability and proneness to cracking could be more important in the fretboard context. Martin have been using it since before 2004, and it could be a lot longer than that.

10. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana
    I'm sure we will all come to like Pau.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    hellopike likes this.

11. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    Can't speak to current Fenders' pau ferro boards, but I've been off rosewood for years, using pau ferro instead. I love it. In my experience so far, for the same price, the pau ferro is usually a much smoother, nicer looking piece of wood and it's plenty hard. There is still really glorious rosewood out there, but not at the price you'll pay for a really glorious pau ferro board. Go for the pau ferro and I'm sure you'll love it. It's not a step down in quality. It's a step sideways.

12. Tony Done

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Fixed the original, can't do the quote though. Maybe you would like to fix that.

13. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana
    Done

14. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Ka-Pau! I just used a Pau Ferro board on my latest neck - no complaints about grain texture (smooth), hardness (yep, hard), workability (good, a little brittle)....my only knock on this particular piece is its in-between colour, not dark like Rosewood, not light like Maple, which would suit a light coloured body better than this darker one....

IMG_7409.jpg _DSC5579.jpg

15. Horsin Hank

Horsin Hank Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    Green River Wy
    Hey Mercyfulfate, I recently purchased a Noir P-Bass.
    The board is nice, a bit lighter than Rosewood but looks good and feels good.
    Problem I had with mine was the fret work. Worst fretwork Ive ever had on any Fender product made in Mexico or US.
    All 21 frets need work both top and bottom. Very sharp and pointed like they were snipped off with nail clippers and never finished. Very disappointed in that.
    Not sure about the rest of the bass yet. Gotta clean these frets up before I can even give it a good try out.
    Sure hope your Tele comes out better.

16. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Pau Ferro was used for the SRV signature Strat fretboard. I don't think there is a significant difference from rosewood, except for some swirls in the grain.

17. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Are you kidding?

That fits BOTH light and dark bodies. It's gorgeous.

Is that the standard look/color for this wood?

I freaking love it.

18. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Ten years ago people paid extra to get pau ferro on their suhrs :D

Minivan Megafun likes this.

19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    I own a Stevie Ray Vaughan model Strat which has a Pau Ferro fretboard.It is a really nice playing and sounding guitar and you would easily assume it is a rosewood fretboard.It is a bit harder in texture compared to rosewood and perhaps gives off a bit more brightness to the tone.It is a great choice for a Fender style guitar where it is a bit brighter than rosewood but smoother than maple which is brighter.

20. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I have a Warmoth neck with a Pau Ferro board on my homebrew Tele and it's a beautiful neck.

To me, the Pau Ferro falls between rosewood and ebony in hardness and tightness of the grain. It has a very smooth feel.
    I like mine a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.