Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele neck quandry

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by slickoneuk, Apr 16, 2018.

1. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeovil
    Hi All

So, i bought a Chinese Tuff Dog last year and put it on the wall. It looked great. Last week i decided to give it a play. Needed a neck adjustment. Allen key in, turn turn, oh that feels a bit tight, turn BANG! So i gots a busted truss rod.

So now i have decided to use and repaint the body and fit a new neck. After routing the neck pocket there is very little meat to drill holes to attach the neck. The Tuff Dog had a set neck design with quite a cutaway.

So my question is, what glue would i use to glue in the new neck? Or should i rout out the cutaway completly, glue in a complete piece of wood, then re-route the neck pocket correctly? Would it be strong enough and again what glue?

Thanks in advance

Rob

2. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Titebond. Just glue it in. But how little meat is there for the screws? There might be enough...

slickoneuk likes this.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Get shorter screws if you can.
    Do not use option 2. Cutting out the neck pocket and replacing that wood is just asking for issues down the line.

slickoneuk likes this.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Post a picture of what is left before you do anything. This is off the net and doesn't look like there would be much of a neck pocket.

tuff dog.png

slickoneuk likes this.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's not really the glue, it's the structural integrity of what you're gluing the neck to... in reality any of the modern wood glues will be fine... but we gotta see what you have to work with... Photos please...

rk

slickoneuk likes this.

6. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeovil
    Cheers for the info. I will get some pics when i get home from work later.

7. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeovil
    Hi again folks. Please see pics above.

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    LutherBurger and Mike Simpson like this.

9. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeovil
    Line on neck pocket shows where full thickness of body is available

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Wow, how far away from the butt end of the neck is the furthest point of the flat part of the beck where you can actually get a screw in?

I would not feel confident about the structural integrity of such a bolt on assembly, but maybe it will work.

I'd be inclined to attempt to glue in a new neck so that more of the remaining pocket lumber could provide structural support to resist string pull, if I was inclined to restore the problematic body to new life. Not sure how well that would work either though, or if a neck heel is big enough to fit a glue joint without first gluing more wood on first.

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Then there is always threaded inserts and machine screws.

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I'm with Telemnemonics. I would not be happy with so little pocket whether screwed or glued.

I would get some pg material and cut a new one after routing in another 3/4 inch or so in And install with regular Tele neck pup. ???

Edit:- Maybe 3/4 inch too much. Try taking the measurement for having the neck join from the 16th fret at the upper horn. I've done this on several builds (obviously with a square pocket) and is not a problem unless you really need to use your 21st or 22nd fret a lot. :p

slickoneuk likes this.

13. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

slickoneuk likes this.

14. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeovil
    Thanks for all the input guys. I will do dome measuring later. I like the idea of pushing the neck and bridge further in to allow more meat to glue to or screw into. I will keep you updated. Cheers. Rob

15. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yes, I sort of jumped in feet first there a bit. :D I was thinking more of a new build. However, I don't see much of a problem doing that, apart from having to relocate the string through holes and having two lots on the back. :confused:

slickoneuk likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.