Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tele neck pickup that sounds like a Strat?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bugo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. bugo

bugo Tele-Holic

I love all Fender guitars in every pickup position, but I'm partial to a Tele bridge pickup and a Strat or a Jazzmaster/P90 style pickup in the neck. Are there any Tele pickups in the chrome housing that sound like Strat pickups? As far as the P90 route, I could get a humbucker equipped Tele and switch pickups. Has Fender ever made a Tele with a traditional Tele bridge pickup and a P90 neck pickup? I know they make the Modern Player Thinline with 2 P90s.

2. Tele-b-blaster

Tele-b-blaster TDPRI Member

Try a Twisted Tele p'up.

3. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

+1 on the Twisted Tele. Very Strat-like, but still retaining Tele-ish overtones. Great match with conventional vintage type bridge p/up, (Fender OV for example).

Rick J

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I had a GFS "Fatbody" tele neck pickup that I put a tele nickel silver chrome cover on. Very straty sounding for low $$. The Bill & Becky Lawrence Keystone neck pup is on the straty side of the tele neck pup spectrum. The Twisted Tele and I believe Done Mare's "Stelly" are specifically designed to sound straty. As for what specs tend to achieve a straty sound, 42 AWG wire, rather than the standard 43 AWG for a tele neck, and taller magnets/coil structure help. That is the recipe I have used for straty sounding tele pickups I have wound, and it works. I believe it is the way they make Twisted Tele and Stelly pups.

6. kmac

kmac Tele-Meister

Twisted T is the way to go. GREAT pickup.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Another yes on the Twisted, and it's all setup for a 4-way switch (with separate cover ground wire).

Have one in my VB CV50 with the stock 8.8k bridge pup and 4-way switch. Great combo!

Roll off the tone knob and it sounds a lot like an OV neck pup.

8. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Harmonic Design...

or just put in a strat pup.

9. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Joe Barden Danny Gatton neck pup, problem solved.

10. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

don mare stelly (underwound a touch) or fender nocaster.

11. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

install any strat pup - pull off the cover, wrap a bit of common black electrical tape around the coil, and yer good to go. yes, an uncovered strat pup will fit inside a tele pickguard routed for a tele neck pup.

[​IMG]

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The Twisted Tele makes a very good strat neck pickup, squeezing the American Tele (AmSer) bridge pickup into the strat was a bit more of a problem, I had to enlarge the hole obliquely.. Result, very powerful strat-like telecaster pickups, in a strat.
    [​IMG]

13. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Wow!, Rob, That is so cool. I put a strat pickup in my tely a long time ago using another pickguard and enlarging it's hole... I went back to the tele pickup, but this info about the string around the wire.... How clever.. could be very useful. Thanks. R

14. artandink

artandink TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Fender Twisted Tele.

15. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Bill Lawrence's L202TN and Keystone neck pickup are available with a chromed cover that has no effect on the tone, and are clearer than almost all Strat pickups on the market while getting classic Fender sounds. I don't think you'll find other pickups with chrome covers that don't alter performance.

16. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Twisted. I have one in a mid 80´s MIJ with a Stewmack Golden Age in the bridge. Love the combo.
    And yes, it´s pretty strat like.

17. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the GFS FatBody!

... just installed one along with a 60s Hot Alnico in my SX wigglestick today. -- Still tweaking height/balance, but definitely a stratty sound comes out of the neck -- I like it a lot!

18. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

...and another +1 for the GFS Alnico Fatbody (with a silver-nickel add-on cover, if you need that look); I actually have real Strat pickups in one of my Teles, but my Thinline with the Fatbody sounds just as Strat-y as that one.

19. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

The Twisted Tele neck pickup is the closest sound to a Strat's neck pickup I've ever heard in a Tele-style pickup. By a mile.

20. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Just taking the cover off my stock p/up got me about half way there already. I like the look with the cover much better but the with the cover off the clarity is vastly improved. I would love to try a real strat p/up someday.

21. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

yes indeed - there was a reason why the tele neck pup was designed with that grounded metal cover (and added treble sucking tone cap). the coil materials, how it was wound, and that metal cover, were part of an integrated design for a special purpose that is not needed these dayze, 60+ years later. a modern tele neck pup has that "vintage look", and it sure has that "vintage sound" that wasn't intended to be a guitar. rather than remove that metal cover, replace that "vintage style" neck pup with one that's more conducive to the tone you seek.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.