Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele neck pickup is dead, kind of.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by iamdro, Nov 7, 2018.

1. iamdro

iamdro TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2014
    San Diego
    I took my neck pickup out of one guitar and into another. It was working in the old guitar.
    Blah blah long story not working in switch so I pulled it back out and now I’m testing.

When I was putting it in the guitar it was a squeeze to get the wires to the cavity. So I had to pull pretty hard (I used a guitar string to pull it through.

Now I have the pickup in front of me, and my multimeter is mia so I’m plugging directly into an amp. Using wires I can prod with

It’s a custom shop Texas Special. So 3 wire. The yellow wire, the one to the cover did get knocked loose, I took it off for now, but I still should be getting sound.

The winddings (the little magnet pieces coming off, what’s that called?) is connected properly. )

Using my mcgiver method I can test connections by creating shorts and having the hum stop. The white and black wires are both connected properly.

The weird thing is, I gave up, came back plugged it in and it worked, so I tried wiggling stuff around, and it got dead again. So I’m lost.

Connecting straight to the little brass pieces also doesn’t work so I’m lost. Does anyone have any ideas

I’ve checked all the connections, and they work.
    I don’t see any places where they could be shorting but I suspect that’s what’s happening.

2. iamdro

iamdro TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2014
    San Diego
    Figured it out. One of the copper wires is slightly lose. I’m gonna try to bridge the connection.

Nickadermis likes this.
  3. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2009
    gainesville, ga
    Great save...my clawhammer and prybar mentality has gotten me into a lot of jams.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.