Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Neck pickup help

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Blair R, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:47 AM.

1. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Hey guys, i own an American special Tele with a Dimarzio chopper t in the bridge and a Fender Texas special pickup in the neck but I would like to change it for something a bit different like a humbucker, single coil sized humbucker or P90.

Ideally i would like to stick with Dimarzio but I'm open to other suggestions.

I would like the pickup to have clarity and articulation under gain and on the clean channel and it also cannot be muddy when playing rhythm and lead on the lower frets. I play mainly hard rock, Classic rock, blues and big band jazz so it would be great for the pickup to sound good in all these genres.
    I have e-mailed Dimarzio already and they suggested the Satch track for the neck position, but i would like to get your opinions on other possibilities.
    I would like the pickup that pairs well with the chopper in the bridge as i am keeping that pickup in there.

Cheers.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Chopper T in the bridge, and you'd like to stay with DiMarzio. If you hadn't said you wanted something like a humbucker or P-90 in the neck, I would have said Twang King neck pup. Richie Kotzen sure sounds good with that combination.

I have a tele with a vintage style bridge pup paired with a P-90 in the neck. I sure like that combination. I don't know how a P-90 neck pup would do for hard rock. If that's a primary consideration, then I'd be inclined to go with DiMarzio's suggestion. But I play some classic rock, and by that I mean '50s early rock-n-roll/rockabilly, as well as '60s rock. I also play a bit of blues and jazz standards, and I like the P-90 equipped for all of that.

Mine isn't a DiMarzio, but I believe the DiMarzio soapbar would be a good choice. I have a set of Twang Kings in another one of my teles, and it's my favorite set.

3. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

May 13, 2015
    Columbus
    Hey man, I have a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the neck and it's great. (Seen here) Cheap and purty.

Slight output imbalance but makes my tele super versatile. IMG_5397.JPG Def get that

4. theripper

theripper TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Hauntingmidsville, Illinois
    Fender vintage noiseless, not too muddy, sounds real good. Not too expensive.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're trying to cover a lot of musical ground there.

I would think that since you want to keep your bridge pup, whatever you put in the neck should be high output. Sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of bridge only and neck only playing.

Or if not high output neck, raise that sucker until it's almost kissing the strings.

6. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    I would put the TS neck back in and remove the greasebucket-done problem solved. :)

The TS neck will then bring you "right" where you want to be and with more clarity than a bucker or P-90 yet very similar in output and impedence.

The circuit will also be quiet though not noiseless. The noiseless will work also as with a rail- lil 59 etc. You lose the sc-dynamics imho though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:26 AM

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Whew!
    That's a lofty goal for a pickup to attain.
    I predict you may need to audition many.
    Install some of those spade clip or
    some such quick change device on the neck pickup wiring.
    It'll save you tons of time and solder.

What amp are you using?
    Have you tried swapping tubes and speakers?

8. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Thanks for the replys

What value pots are you using with the 36th anniversary?

I play hard rock the least so it isn't too important that it sound good with that, the my main styles are classic rock and jazz.
    My amp is a solid state, 60watt orange

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Get an 0.047uF capacitor and put that in series with the hot lead of your current neck pickup. You can clip it in right in the control cavity so no pickup removal or string detuning necessary. This will brighten up your current neck pickup and maybe get what you are looking for. You can try higher or lower uF caps this way for more or less control.

Changing the pot to a different (measured) value than you have can change the whole guitar up/down but it seems you like the bridge as-is. So the cap on the neck may do it. Worth an experiment or two at $0.10 a throw.

Blair R likes this.

10. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

May 13, 2015
    Columbus
    I stuck w the 250k pots. The PAF isn't THAT much louder but there is a difference, and I think it is perfect for jazz. That's what I use it for, or a blues sound...or to push the amp when I am turned up in a rock setting.

Blair R likes this.

11. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Just out off curiosity, anyone had experience with the twang king in the neck position. I know Richie Kotzen uses one.
    Is it a good pickup for lead playing?
    Also does anyone know if it is similar to the Texas special?

12. Bird Dog

Bird Dog TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Jefferson City, Mo
    That Satch Track may work for you. For me it would kind of depend how it sounded split. It has 4 conductor wiring, so it has that option. In the neck position it may sound good split, or it may sound thin. Hard to tell unless someone here has experience. Up in the neck position, my guess is it would sound fine split. That would give you a lot of versatility. Without splitting, the Area T neck might work. It's output is listed as bit higher than the Twang King. I have a G&L Strat with a Chopper in the bridge and it's volume and the Area 61 I have in the neck are pretty close at their current heights.

If you weren't married to Dimarzio and could invest in another pick guard, a Fralin P92, Fralin P90 in humbucker size, or as someone said Lollar El Rayo would be just killer. Beware though, once you go down the Fralin or Lollar road, you wont ever want to go back to stock Fender, or Dimarzio/Seymour options.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    Blair R likes this.

13. frank4001

frank4001 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Maybe look into 4 way switching. I discovered this last year. Better late than never. It's been working great for me.

SonsOfMoog and Blair R like this.

14. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Do you reckon it would sound good with the humbucker and the single coil as most teles ive seen with 4 way switching have 2 singlecoils ?

15. frank4001

frank4001 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2005
    Memphis, TN

16. Blair R

Blair R TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Scotland
    Yes, humbucker in the bridge and single coil in the neck, with a 4-way switch

17. frank4001

frank4001 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2005
    Memphis, TN

Well I guess it coud work.
    I hope some more electronically savy persone chimes in but the point of the 4 way, to my knowledge, is to put two coils into series, like a humbucking pickup is wired, in order boost the signal. It may quiet down the guitar too. Not sure in all cases. This it does well.
    Now you're talking three coils or maybe two with coil splitting and I'm not sure of out come or what you're going for.

You might think about calling Dimarzio to duscuss.

18. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Love the Chopper..Got one in my Super Tele..
    You might like the Rose Freedom T90 in the neck..It's wound like a P90 but fits in with zero mods to the body or pickguard..
    I also have that in another Tele..

Blair R likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.