Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Modern Player P90s, AlNiCo or Ceramic ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Teleterr, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I ve been around the web, but can t find out if they are AlNiCo or Ceramic. Demos are thru too much processing to tell for sure. I like Ceramics, but I m looking for AlNiCo for this guitar. Anyone know what the magnets are ?

2. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Can you find pictures of the bottom of their pickups? That would allow us to tell you.

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    P 90s are enclosed such that you can t see the magnets. I m hoping someone w one can just tell by listening. I ve yet to come across a video where its clean enough to tell.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I removed a set from my old MP Thinline, but sorry to say I don't know about the magnet. If there's any way to check visually let me know and I'd be glad to look later. I have them in the basement somewhere.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Thanks, Hawk, but from what photos the web has they re totally enclosed. Why did you replace them ? I m thinking that they might be ceramic, since no review has mentioned AlNiCo, and any more thats a selling point.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I know there's next to no information out there on them - maybe an email to Fender?

You know, in retrospect I wish I hadn't been so quick to change them, mainly because I spent a lot of money and ended up selling the guitar anyway.

The Thinline Deluxe was pretty dark. The conversations I had with others ranged from people swapping the pickups to swapping the 250k pots for 500k and changing out the capacitors. I got a case of fancy p90 fever and just pulled the trigger on some Fralins. I also changed the last pots, caps, and wired it 50's style. It definitely wasn't dark anymore and sounded pretty good. Still, the guitar sat (switch was dodgy and it needed a level) and I didn't want to throw any more money at it.

Afterwards I read a whole bunch of posts saying that boutique p90's are a waste of money. I'm sure there are folks that disagree with that of course. I just wish I'd swapped the pots/caps first and then pulled the pickups later if needed.

One thing I seem to remember is that these pickups are taller than other p90's?

Teleterr likes this.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Thanks for the reply. I ve searched ebay and found lots of cheap AlNiCo so the question might be moot. Its just I ve always liked Fender stock pickups in Teles and I have an Alder Strat Clone body w P90 routes, so maybe p-ups designed for an Alder Tele ,"Special Voiced", might be good in it too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.