Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tele Input jack

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GMAN715, Dec 1, 2008.

1. GMAN715

GMAN715 Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2006
    Texas
    Hello! Wanted to know opinions on jack replacement. Maybe with a switchcraft & Electrosocket cup or has anybody done a Les Paul type Jack setup?

THNX Cheers

2. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

Definitely Electrosocket - it might be one of the nicest, least expensive mods that you can do to your Tele. There are some milled jack cups around out there, but they can get pretty pricey compared to the Electrosocket.

Dean

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I have used the LP jack plate on my Affinity and my patscaster.Both had screwholes from a different plate anyway , if not I would have used the socket instead

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I use the Electro socket too, I don't go anywhere near the "traditional" cup unless someone threatens bodily harm...

Ron Kirn

6. Staggered Mag

Staggered Mag Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2008
    New England
    Electro Socket for sure.

7. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2008
    Glendale, Az
    The Electrosocket is certainly the best looking option. If you adjust the jack so it just comes to the top of the threads in the cup, you'll find it a lot easier to plug your cable in without having to fumble around.
    Match it up with a new Switchcraft jack. An old input jack in questionable condition will always fail on you at the worst possible time, guaranteed.

8. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I've done the Les Paul jack and the ElectroSocket, and recommend the ElectroSocket...not that the Les Paul jack is bad, but I just think the ElectroSocket is better...

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I like the electrosocket too... I have one in my pinecaster.

On my Squier I drilled 2 holes in the stamped cup and used a couple of pickguard screws (like an electrosocket) to stop it from coming loose... didn't cost anything...

10. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Another one for the ElectroSocket here. I have them in both my teles... I think they are just more sturdy than anything I've seen. And they look nice.

11. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 28, 2004
    Maryland (US)
    For my use an old style jack cup with a properly installed quality retainer works fine with no reliability problems, and I like the looks.

If I was choosing another style jack support, I'd choose an Electrosocket over an LP style. If you install an LP style and later someone wants either an original style or Electrosocket on that body, the old screw holes from the LP style will be left showing. If you install an Electrosocket and later someone wants an original style on that body, the old screw holes from the Electrosocket won't be left showing.

The original non-Switchcraft jacks on my Teles all work well. I bought a a Switchcraft for my partscaster I assembled not having a spare jack. Switchcraft jacks have a good reputation for reliability, that's what I'll buy again when I need another.

If you get an Electrosocket jack holder be careful to match the threads on it and the jack you plan to use.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I've never had a guitar that needed an input jack. :D

Sorry - I couldn't resist. :oops:

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've used just about every one you can think of and I like the electrosocket the best.

14. Billm

Billm Friend of Leo's

Mar 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    I just built a custom Tele for a client and used the Electrosocket, but I was disappointed in the finish. It looks like it's right off a CNC lathe taking a fairly smooth cut, but it doesn't shine. It looked dull and out of place against all of the chrome accents on the Tele.

So I chucked it up in my lathe (1940s, definitely not CNC!) and polished the cup with 220, 400, 600 grit, and finally mag wheel polish. It gleams now. I know it'll get scratched up by plug tips, but at least it hangs in there with the chrome.

Attached Files:

15. telefunk

telefunk Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Electrosocket OUTput socket for sure. Unfortunately the one thing Leo didnt get right.:p

16. GMAN715

GMAN715 Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the help! I'll go with the Electrosocket. By the way is there specific part # for the switchcraft jack?
    THNX Cheers

17. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking of the Electro socket, though, so far so good on the Am Std. The MIM tele jack failed -came loose and fell out- in the first week, and its getting thrown out soon as I have time to do it... its the only black mark on a overall good mass-production guitar.

18. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    chicago
    I've never had any issues with my stock jack or socket cup. If it ever needed replacing, I'd probably go the Switchcraft/ Electrosocket route, respectively. I've just heard good things all around. Are there any other advantages besides durability...ie: tonal advantages?

19. Billm

Billm Friend of Leo's

Mar 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    Tonal benefits? No. A connection is a connection. As long as the plug isn't falling out of the guitar, they're all going to sound the same.

20. Injun Joe

Injun Joe TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2007
    North of Carolina
    Electrosocket (polished as billm suggests) and I like to use a stereo Switchcraft jack... The extra claw, though not wired, adds some extra grip to the cable.

21. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

The elecrosocket is simplicity in itself. It is easily fitted and easily taken out and it doesn't interfere with the original look.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.