Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele hybrid, kinda...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jds009, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jds009

jds009 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Hey ya'll, im a junior in high school and am building a tele at the moment, close to being dont too! thought i would show you guys what you have helped me (with or without your knowing) build, thanks for a great forum! :)

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Howdy, Let's see... :eek::D

3. jds009

jds009 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Kansas

4. jds009

jds009 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Kansas

5. jds009

jds009 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Kansas
    i cant see the pictures, can anyone else?

if not, the whole album is here

http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/jds009/

The nice, finished guitar i cant for the life of me remember where i found the picture, but im hoping to get it finished like that
    the top is a spalted burled maple i found on ebay, body is ash
    neck is a squier i got from a guitar shop around here cheap
    the body will soon be routed for 2 humbuckers
    its going to have a top loading tele bridge from guitar fetish, thats where i got all my parts except for the wiring kit, which i havent bought yet.

can anyone spot my BIG oopsie?

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

7. TheDev01dOne

TheDev01dOne Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2007
    Wollongong, Australia
    Looks like it's coming along well man.

I have 2 guesses at the "big oopsie":

1: The grain of the body is sideways instead of the usual latitudinal way?

2: You routed out the cavities from the back of the guitar instead of the top? So you'll have to glue on a 'backboard' as well as the fancy Spalt drop-top?

Am I even close? I like this game.

8. jds009

jds009 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Kansas
    The first guess was right, i wasnt thinking too clearly when i glued up my ash... lessons learned eh?

i routed out the back instead of the front for a control cavity & the hollowbody part, its like a two-fer. i'm just going to route another shallow chanel around the cavity and set a peice of walnut into it

9. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

great work....stick with guitar building ...you have the gift ..and don't forget to ask Ron Kirn if he needs an apprentice...:)

10. TheDev01dOne

TheDev01dOne Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2007
    Wollongong, Australia
    You won't notice the grain too much anyway since it will have a spalt top.. Just make up some story about it being uber rare, reclaimed, ultra flame, antarctic ash wood if anyone asks.

Looking great for a first build. Will be cool to see it finished and see what your next build is gonna be. (It's gotta be just as addictive as buying guitars)

11. misnomer

misnomer TDPRI Member

Oct 20, 2008
    london UK
    looking nice! not everyone's cup of tea I know but I love the look of spalted - got some build plans myself in that direction

finish?

personally I'd go satin or matt with black hardware

12. jds009

jds009 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Ha, thanks for the great story idea. :idea:

I wont be able to work on it much till next semester but it should be done here pretty soon. im hoping to stain only the ash red, or even paint it red. like a goldtop LP or something, except without a goldtop. then just stain the top very light or just straight clear it..

13. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2005
    Santiago, Chile
    Great job, looks great. Keep building....

14. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    Let me see if I can help?
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    Lets try another !
    [​IMG][/IMG]

16. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    When using Photobucket, highlight and copy the IMG line below the thumbnails. Paste that into your post. That all there is to it.

......[​IMG]

Yep, you've got the grain running the wrong direction but aside from that ....... Good job. [​IMG]

It's a shame to paint ash but I would paint this one to hide the grain orientation.

One suggestion for your next one............. Glue the tight grain edges together. The joint line will be less noticeable.

17. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    jds009 - Go to your picture at photobucket , then highlight the info in the "IMG Code" box then copy ( ctrl + c ) , then come back to this page in the "Post Reply" and select the [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] button and paste it in the popup .

18. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2008
    Asheville
    How did that happen ? jwells I guess you were just a little quicker on the draw than me .

Did I show the wrong guitar ?

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    mrothacker ............. with Photobucket you don't need to use the[​IMG] button. Just paste the IMG line into your post. That's why the pictures you posted have the [​IMG]

20. eltoroburacho

eltoroburacho TDPRI Member

that top is something else, do you mind if I ask how much it set you back?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.