Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele hardcases

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RLee77, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:34 PM.

Tags:
  1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    So I just returned from a GC store visit (and also the local Starving Musician store) empty-handed. I had a small hope that I’d be able to find an acceptable-quality hardcase for my built tele for under $60 or $70. Cheap, but not junk. I just need something to protect it during a 4 hour drive in a small moving truck (I’m packing up all my gear and guitars to move to a house in Reno, 4 hours away).

I’m not that surprised that I didn’t find anything in the local stores — I figured I’d be ordering used/online — but what did amaze me was the absolute crap GC was selling at ridiculous prices.

The cheapest offering was a foam and nylon rectangular case from Road Runner, $80. This was just pure junk, nothing more than some hard foam loosely wrapped with thin nylon, with a zipper and handle. I put a tele in in, and it flopped around in there. Again, eighty bucks! A guitar would be better off wrapped in a thick blanket secured with masking tape.

The next cheapest was a Gator, I think, at $100. This was thin wood and foam, and a step up in quality, but a very small step. The tele flopped around a bit in this one as well. I might have considered this on impulse for $60 or $70; never for $100. It looked and felt like it would fall apart in a stiff breeze.

For $120, there was a pretty nice sturdy tweed roadrunner case, and that one held the tele firmly in place, with nice padding and it had decent hardware. However, it’s a bit of overkill for my needs. Also, Sweetwater sells real fender pro series tweed cases for $120 online.

What do you all prefer for budget hardcases for your teles? I’d be perfectly happy with a beat up used case, for a decent price, like $40 or $50. Or am I out of touch with reality here?

I see that amazon has the plain black fender pro series cases for $80... I may just go for that, seems a decent price for decent quality.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    You do indeed seem to be out of touch with reality on this issue. A $100 case these days is barely adequate for light duty.

I also don't understand how you complain about the lower priced cases not holding the Tele firmly...but once you get to a case that does holds the Tele firmly, then it's "overkill."

For your purposes (a 4-hour road trip), I would simply go with the idea you mentioned: wrap the guitar in a moving blanket or two, and secure them tightly with packing tape (not masking tape). Even better, place the wrapped guitar in a bass shipping box for the move. G.C. might give you one from their dumpster; my local one has always obliged when I've asked.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Call Sweetwater. You can always use a good case for your guitar. My guitars get cased up whenever they leave the house

4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Just ordered a fender pro series tweed case on amazon for $114, free shipping. Not the best, but not the worst deal. Shrug.

coloradojeff and String Tree like this.
  5. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    I find plenty of new cases over here black or tweed for around the $50 mark on all of the usual market places, which will fit a strat or a tele well enough - surprisingly second hand no brand cases are actually more expensive

6. Tuneup

Tuneup TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2019
    USA
    It's BS that injected plastic cases cost so much, check out ebay they have a selection in the sub $100 area.
    Rondo music (agile guitars) also sells cases cheap, they are "OK".

RLee77 likes this.
  7. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    RLee77 likes this.
  8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the suggestions... looks like eBay has some decent offerings. I may get another case for my strat that’s in a thin soft shell case currently.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    GuitarFetish carries one of those hard foam/zippered nylon for $30-40. A Tele fits snugly and it's a lightweight, protective case.
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Fe...DED-StratregTelereg-Gig-BagCase-_p_21067.html

10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I dislike the plywood cases wrapped in tweed that get sold these days, they seem to be all looks and offer very little protection...especially if there is a light rain. I have stocked up on the key-shaped cases Fender used in the '90's. They fit well, are much smaller so they both carry well and store easier, and can be had for about $80 on the auctions sites. The poly TSA cases are also very nice, but I don't need that much protection for my occassional 30 minute trips.

11. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 12:17 AM
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I have a g&g brown tolex case, a g&g copy tweed case and a SKB case with the TSA latches. The SKB is the best for protection imo but they are still pretty poor quality for the money. ie slight gaps in the aluminium seal, not air or water tight but they hold the guitar the best out of the three and the latches are better than the others.

13. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    Try Craigslist. I've found excellent cases for Fender guitars at sensible prices there for years.

brookdalebill and dented like this.
  14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Hmmm.... The only hard case I've paid over a $100 for at GC or any where was the one for my acoustic, and the cases I buy hold the guitars securely and are more than adequate for the kind of transport I use them for, or you are describing. Most are from Roadrunner. Maybe the prices are due to your location.

15. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I will only buy roadrunner until the day I die. Customer loyalty based on first hand experience.

A couple years ago I took my wife camping for her birthday with all of her friends. My Jeep Patriot was filled to the brim with everyone’s camping stuff, tents and what not, plus me, three girls and our dog. Didn’t leave room for my acoustic guitar so I used some bungee cords to strap it to the roof as we weren’t going that far.

We were almost there when I heard the wal-mart bungee cords snap and I see my guitar flying end over end in the air through the rear view mirror as I was doing 75mph down the highway.

Tons of road rash on the case, the tolex scraped down to wood.

Guitar was just fine though. Damn thing was still in tune even :)

richiek65, RLee77, Blue Bill and 2 others like this.
  16. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    RLee77 likes this.
  17. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    I've had both the tweed (currently) and the black tolex (previously).
    The black Tolex (exterior) is as nice as any G and G case (I've got two of those), especially the latches.
    The interior on these Fender cases is not on the par of a G and G, but a GREAT buy.
    I'm thinking of ordering a black Tolex and I don't even need one right now.

18. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Sadly, I agree with Esquire. I've done some recent shopping for cases and what you describe is accurate. This is just what stuff costs in 2019. One would have to go used for a better deal.

For new: I have one of the Gator "lightweight" nylon and plywood/foam cases for a Tele that are supposed to fit both Teles and Strats. (GC here has got 'em for about 80.00) There is about a quarter inch gap at the tip of the head stock where the guitar "could" shift slightly but not enough to cause any damage. Granted, I'm not a working musician and don't travel much with the guitar but it provides better than adequate protection for home use and taking it out of the house from time to time. What's nice is that it's significantly smaller and lighter than most cases. This may sound silly but once you put a guitar in those lightweight seemingly "flimsy" nylon cases they don't feel so flimsy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 9:43 AM
  19. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    For my baja I use the Gibson gig bag , my Les Paul studio came with . It's perfect ... don't mind about the GIBSON lettering .

Perhaps you can find a used one ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.