Tele Guitar Abbreviations

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rocks2oldies, May 25, 2019.

1. rocks2oldies

rocks2oldies TDPRI Member

Hi as an owner of a new Tele & a Strat, who doesn't play yet, I was wondering if someone would help me figure out some of the abbreviations you all are using in your posts. When you also talk about pickups, coils, and all that stuff, what are you talking about? I know the parts of the guitar, but not the lingo you all use. I already have some on the Strat, so I am asking for the Tele.

Thank you!

2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Google is your friend.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

We tend to use the terms without thinking. It would be helpful if you could list a few of the abbreviations you don't understand. Someone will be able to clarify them for you.

Pickups sit under the strings and convert string vibration into an electrical signal that can be amplified. Guitar pickups are basically coils of wire (thousands of turns of very thin copper wire) with magnets inside the coil.

Traditional Strat and Tele pickups use one coil of wire per pickup (single-coil) and most Gibson type pickups use two coils so they can minimize the hum caused by electrical interference (hum-bucking)

[​IMG]

Strat pickups usually have a plastic cover over their coil, with six magnets visible poking through the top.
    Typical Strat pickups:
    [​IMG]

Most Teles use two different singlecoil pickups- a small one near the neck (usually with a metal cover), and a larger uncovered one by the bridge. Typical Tele pickups:
    [​IMG]

Humbuckers often have a rectangular metal cover with six adjustment screws visible over one of their coils.
    Typical humbuckers:
    [​IMG]

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I suspect the abbreviations that are a mystery are avri av fsr drri and so on?

As someone said above, Google them backwards with the word Fender and it is sure to show up

Be careful! You might find within 12 months you bought an AV 52 and DRRI if you enter into the whirlpool, and want an AV 64 and 58 to complete the collection.... With a couple of SF amps

Fellow members, don't you think membership should include a health warning? 'GAS can cause serious damage to your wallet'. I never knew what an AV was before I came here, then nearly got a 52 and 64, and still search for a 58

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

IIRC the AV line always had 7'25" but the AO has 9'5". Same for CPs. I'd rather go RW but am a bit put off by the relic job. TBH a plain CS (50s or 60s) would do the trick, better still if lacquer. But does it have PIO caps? IDK. Anyway, any Tele is heaven thru a PR, DR, V-lux, SR, TR or what have you. Not to mention a plain good ole 5f1 or 5e3!

That what you mean? :p

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

butt-crack:the gap sometimes found on teles due to the bridge pick-up route being slightly wider than the bridge plate.
    [​IMG]

7. MikiLoving

MikiLoving TDPRI Member

All of my teles show butt crack on the bridge.

8. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

This one is not purely related to Teles per say, but the abbreviation you really need to know is G.A.S.... Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Many here on these amazing forums have it (including myself).

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the "Tele" world.

Just wait until you get into the alder/ash, rosewood/maple and the brass/steel/titanium/aluminum discussions.

Or the, should I put a humbucker, P90 or Strat pickup in the neck position.

Just have fun.:)

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention the “vintage 3/saddles bridge” vs modern 6 saddles (and for the most rabid, vintage 6 saddles!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.