Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele GAS fulfilled

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by robbsaul, Jun 8, 2018.

1. robbsaul

robbsaul TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    I've been having GAS for a Squier Tele for about a year +

I'm getting an Affinity in BSB. My question is about the saddles. Can they be changed to the classic Tele type compensated saddles and fit with an ashtray?

tery and blille like this.
  2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Hello and welcome... You came to the right place!

This question has passed here a few times before. To be short you could install a vintage bridge, if you don't mind the original bridge screw holes being visible.
    A popular mod here is the Bubba mod where the 6 saddles are replaced with 3 barrel saddles. You need to drill some extra holes in the original bridge plate for this. Try searching for Bubba mod on this forum.

If you are in to telecasters you really will enjoy yourself here... try browsing some older posts on this website for hours and hours of tele fun!

robbsaul likes this.
  3. robbsaul

robbsaul TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I put the three vintage threaded on the original bridge and never could get even spacing on the strings, sometimes even needed to be on top of the height adjustment screws.
    Not terrible, but last time I put on new strings I put the original saddles back on. YMMV

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Congratulations ! ... and Welcome to TDPRI :)

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    robbsaul,

I'm going to ask a fairly stupid question, but here goes;

Instead of buying a guitar with substandard features, and then making plans to modify or alter it,
    why don't you just take the time to buy a guitar that has all the features and qualities that you covet,
    and buy it instead?

It seems like that would be a cleaner approach, and then your guitar would be perfect from jump-street, and it would hold its resale value much better years later.

Bone-stock = desirable used guitar later on.
    Modified guitar = less value later on.

Just a thought.
    ;)

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. robbsaul

robbsaul TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Point taken. I did that with my Strat and bought what I wanted. I wanted a Tele to pluck on and experiment with different styles. I'm not looking to break the bank, hence an Affinity. I like the vintage look. Watched some videos on YouTube and the only issue I'll have is a few extra holes under the bridge. Uh, who cares.

I'm not going on stage and performing with this guitar. It's a home use only, so a few cheap mods for my wants and for what I need, it's NOT sub-standard.

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    No offense intended robbsaul.

May God bless you and this Telecaster.

I guess that's why painters put globs of primary colours on their palette, and then swirl them around together.
    In doing so, they can create interesting new hues, shades, and emotions.

I get it, sir.
    And again, my apologies if I came off as judgmental.
    :)

9. robbsaul

robbsaul TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    None taken Sparky! I was just explaining my rationale on upgrading a roughly $100 guitar. Sorry if I came across too defensive, because it wasn't my intention at all.

I look forward to getting to know some people in here and can give me some good advice regarding my intro to the Tele!

10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    If you haven't already bought the affinity, you might consider looking at Harley Benton. They are the house brand of a German store called Thomann and they are stupidly good guitars for the money (which is about in the same range as an Affinity even after shipping, maybe a bit less actually). I like them so much that I've bought two (so far) and to me they feel pretty comparable to Classic vibe Squiers I've played, much better than an affinity (or most MIM Fenders for that matter). Plus the BSB model has a three barrel ashtray bridge out of the box (which I might add arrived perfectly setup on mine).

robbsaul likes this.
  11. robbsaul

robbsaul TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    I had some GC gift cards laying around that funded it. Thomann and Harley Benton have been on my radar for a while. I watched a lot of YT videos about them. They seem like a winner!

12. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Hate to say it, but I have yet to see one Harley Benton that can beat the Affinity (especially the one mentioned here before) qualitywise (tunes, bridge, saddles, pickups, electronics)...

I have tried TE-30, TE-52 and TE-70. The pickups on the TE-52/70 were a lot better than on the Affinity, and that's about it (but I don't know about the new Roswell Pickups). The tuners sucked on all of them. Not that the Affinity has the best in the world, but I never had one that didn't hold tune. The TE-30 doesn't even have equal spacing between strings and I played through the neck finish in a few hours of messing around with it. Also those pickups were very cheap (but that's understandable for a guitar half the price of an Affinity).
    Also I have yet to see the first HB that has a tele shape that takes a standard pickguard and still looks like it fits (if it "fits" at all). The horn shape has been "off" on all of the ones I saw, leaving at least unequal spacing to the pickguard going from 1 to almost 10 millimeters, and in some cases - as mentioned before - making it impossible to fit a standard replacement pickguard.

All models look good (and some a lot better than an Affinity), and the paint finish has been flawless on all HB's I've ever seen. (which is a lot more than just the three mentioned above). I also don't know about the TE-90 models (that also look great on pictures), and have been trying to convince me to buy one for three or four years now, but my previous experiences are holding me back.

I'm a big fan of Thomann house brands like T.Bone microphones (love that SC-1100 and SC-450 and even the MB-85Beta, they are hard to beat at that price point), T.Rack, ... but HB is the one house brand that cannot convince me (but I've only tried T-models). Of course if you are not such a nitpicker like I am, it might be the best guitar in the world for you.

robbsaul likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.