Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Drop

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Spec4Harper, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

Hey gang, my Telecaster (profile pic) took a hard fall this weekend. Someone accidentally knocked it out of my SUV. The fall was so violent that my case was busted apart. The guitar appeared to be fine, but now I am having difficulty keeping it in tune. My first thought was the truss rod is knocked out of adjustment, but is there anything else that could cause this new development? It's an American Tele, less than a year old. Thanks in advance!

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    It’s also possible that the fall knocked the neck out of alignment. Or maybe even loosened it. What I would do is tune it up to pitch and then partially loosen each of the neck mounting bolts just enough that it can move. You might hear a click is it adjusts itself. Remember, just loosen them enough that it can move. Then, snug everything up. It also wouldn’t be a bad idea to check and make sure that the mounting screws for the bridge are still snug.

brogh, Piotr, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  3. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

Great! Thank you, will try this evening!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You’re gonna tickle our a**es with a feather and not give us the whole story?

5. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

My son... he's only 19 and he's also my bassist. He was trying to help load the car. He didn't know the passenger side door was open, so when he shoved his amp from the other side, my Tele popped out the opposite side. I don't want him to know about the damage. It really would hurt him to know he did this. He's a very good boy and it was just an accident. Could have happened to anyone, but he would be crushed, so all he knows is the case busted.

wblynch, marc2211, Ira7 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The guitar is not hurt, so your son already knows the full extent of the damage caused by the accident.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, it’s a tender, loving story.

I thought it was going to wind up more interesting, like you later dumping someone wrapped in plastic off a bridge and into the river.

rickthescot likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    :lol::lol::lol:

9. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

I like your positive vibes!!!

Wally likes this.
  10. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

HAHAHA... We just aren't that exciting in WV... now Detroit or Cleveland, maybe

Ira7 likes this.
  11. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Check the that the neck screws are still tight.
    It could be a crack in the wood, or an unglued wood joint, most likely between the neck and fingerboard.
    Examine it closely for any crack in the finish, which will show up right above the crack in the wood. Around the neck joint is a likely place, also up on the peghead to neck transition.

If you find a crack have a repairman evaluate it. It could be so hard to repair that it would be easier to replace the neck or the body. This is actually one thing that Leo bragged about, the ease of replacing a part.

Piotr likes this.
  12. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

Thank you... I have an appointment with the local doc tomorrow!

13. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    I’ve been surprised a few times at the abuse a telecaster can take. Fell down right on top of mine in its soft shell last week carrying a bunch of gear. Barely took any damage. Good luck, it is cool to hear that you’re gigging with your son. Hopefully it wasn’t that beautiful Tele in your picture?

14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I'd like to see the case damage.

15. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    I'm sure you checked over your Tele like a fine tooth comb. I'm no tech but I would take the neck off check the pocket for cracks and rescrew it back on. Do a setup and mess with the truss rod. Is there anyway we can get pictures of the case and guitar?

16. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Albuquerque
    Thank the powers above for good guitar cases

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    It comes from experience. I have had people bring me guitars which are much more fragile than a Tele while fearing that a little bump or drop had changed the entire geometry. When..in fact...there was no way that the neck had changed its geometry since it was glued into a dovetail joint and the joint showed no signs of movement. The m8nd can play funny games in times of fear!!! (;^)

Got a tech?? Has the guitar ever been professionally set up? Have the guitar restrung and checked out if it will help you feel better. If you want to check out those neck screws yourself...and I do advise that you do....then check to see that the holes through the body were drilled at a sufficient size to allow the screws to actually pull the neck to the pocket before they tighten up in the body. Many made in Asia guitars have small holes through the body that will tighten up with the screw and not allow the neck to ever get pulled into good contact. You should be able to insert a screw in the hole in the body and have the screw move through that hole freely to reach the neck holes. If you have to screw the screw out of the body with a screwdriver, the holes going though the body are too small.

18. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

Yes, it was the one in the pic. But it's all good. Simple adjustments and loose screws!

src9000 likes this.
  19. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

Attached Files:

20. Spec4Harper

Spec4Harper TDPRI Member

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.