Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele-Dano

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SheppO, Oct 12, 2017.

1. SheppO

SheppO TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    UK

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I_build_my_own likes this.

3. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    But is the neck pup a lipstick?

4. SheppO

SheppO TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    UK
    Totally agree a non-tele headstock would be ace - ill need to give that one some thought
    Would a lipstick in the neck pair nice with standard tele type in the bridge you think ?
    Cheers chaps

5. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France

6. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    I've also been thinking of building a Tele-Dano hybrid. I think I will one day.

Your design looks really cool. (I would just slant the upper side of the pickguard a little)

I agree with the others for the lipstick in neck position, or a strat sized lipstick.

I'll watch this thread for sure

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Would a Danelectro lipstick in the neck position go with a standard bridge pickup?, does Indian tonic water go with Bombay Sapphire gin?. Mmmm G&T.

Yes, they go very well together.

As to the headstock, go coke bottle with some angle on it. See early Evets Corp reissues for the difference between an original and a reissue. The six-aside 'dolphin' heads on a body that looks like a Tele would just look like someone tried to get away from the Tele shape by carving a Tele head down.

8. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Have you thought of a Tele built like a Dano, i.e. 2 sheets of Masonite mounted on a poplar frame for the body, two lipstick pickups and a Tele neck? :)

fenderchamp likes this.

9. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I like the shape.

I recently picked up two Tele bodies done in that style. Masonite top and back on a chambered pine body. Still deciding what I'm going to do as far as layout goes, but the first will likely have a Tele-style bridge and a larger route under the pickguard. I've had good luck with the GFS Kwickplug system on a couple of recent projects and feel like that set up would give me a lot of easy options.

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Wow, I wish TDPRI had something more than "like" to mash to this one. "Freakin Cool," maybe?

I disagree with the posters who want a dano head, but I get what they are saying. My vote would be for a snake head. It would still be a Dano style but would retain that Fender vibe. There's a post somewhere on this forum where a guy walks you through his snake head build.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I like the body shape...a tele neck, Dano construction, (hollow, using a funky, phenolic top & backside), tele bridge & lipstick neck, pickups

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Here is my argument. Most hybrids you see with tele necks are legitimate bodies...ie, LP, Jazzmaster, Firebird, V, etc. The bodies aren't altered, therefore....on an altered body, which is what you are doing, you must use one of the Dano peghead shapes.....:) It's really that simple.

fenderchamp and songtalk like this.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Book ‘em, Dano!

songtalk likes this.

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Lipstick neck...tele bridge with tele bridge pickup, control plate with dano knobs.

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

16. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

17. SheppO

SheppO TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    UK
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    I think a snake / dano pro head would be cool. Thing is, this is my first build and I’m on a budget so ideally I’ll be using an off the shelf neck. Any suggestions for a cheap but decent neck with a paddle head i could cut ? If not i might need to just go with whatever T style neck I can find for reasonable money - I’ve been thinking an eBay squire might be a good thing to get to cannibalise for parts ...?

18. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm with everyone else in that I think the shape of the body is totally cool-looking.

But I have always hated most of Dano's headstocks.

19. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'd also go Tele style for the body construction, just for simplicity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.