Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Custom 2 nails Thunders tone

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Guitandanza, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    I’ve had this guitar since it came out in early 2000s. Image1523822775.684142.jpg One can buy a LP jr, or a Soecial, but for small change, these Duncan Designed p90s sound better than the USA Duncan P90s. Sometimes, I think I count 5-7 pieces of Agathis but as long as it’s not plywood, it really don’t matter much to me. Perfect weight too. I swapped the perfectly ok maple neck for one w a rosewood board. Plays like a thousand dollar guitar.

marklk, MonkeyJefferson and Mincer like this.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Yep... it's a gem... ;). One of my favourites. In fact it was this model that got me hooked on the P90 sound...

Guitandanza likes this.

3. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    Not made anymore. I was surprised to find one on eBay today for $395. It was $225 new. I paid less.

4. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Got mine new on sale for $160. Such a great, balanced, versatile guitar. I own many “nicer” guitars, but the old banana is just exceptional. Had it for almost 10 years now. If you’re looking for that “Ya-ya” Midnight Rambler bleat, that’s your ride. Mine just grabs and groans a shade under breakup on the amp. Real gem.

Guitandanza likes this.

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    What do you mean "nicer" guitars... equally nice (like a CV for instance), yes. but nicer? Really? :lol::D:cool:;)
    There are some Squier guitars that will never have their pickups removed by me. This one is definitely one of them.

VM Custom II VB.jpg

I actually have both the Vintage Blonde and the black one, because I like them so much.

At some point (like 2004) there were Squier Affinity telecasters and Standards. This Standard was available in some different versions at that point (like original SS, SH and even an HS version with a strat neck pickup, called a "special" but with "Standard" on the headstock). They had a Korean Double Fat Deluxe tele (love it because of the jumbo frets). When this dual P90 guitar and his "brother" with two humbuckers were released, they were not marketed as "vintage modified", and they had the "Custom" name on the headstock. Hence the names Custom and Custom II. Both models were made in Indonesia with an IC prefix in the serial up until about 2008, and with an ICS prefix for the later years. Reason for this is "S" is the Squier brand because at that point the same factory started making Fender-branded guitars as well with an ICF-prefix (with "F" for Fender).

A few years later (2006) the Vintage Modified telecaster series was born with two Indian models, an SH and SSH. And these were "remarketed" as part of the Vintage Modified series, but retained the "Custom" print on the headstock. (I noticed recently thet it was In the same font as on the '72 Custom).

I got both at a very reasonable price both well below 200 euros. In fact this model seems to be the most sold second hand Squier tele on the market on this side of the Atlantic, even more than the Affinity.

But in essence: they just sound like heaven! :)

Guitandanza and MonkeyJefferson like this.

6. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    My pots on my Custom II are crackly from the gallons of sweat and beer and dust, but as of today, I haven't replaced a thing- and NEVER would I replace the pickups. I've taken it out of my gig rotation mostly, but I've earned my money back there tenfold. No other guitar I own gives you a better "new string day" than that thing - it just sings. I've also owned the SSH Indian Squier, traded it, though I loved the mini-humbucker sound. It was ridiculously, cement-like heavy, ungiggable. I regret that trade now, as that neck was a winner despite the other problems. I've alway traded in Affinity models, I wasn't personally impressed, but my Custom II, just a modern classic, I think.

Guitandanza and nicod98 like this.

7. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    (I'd also like a black one)

Guitandanza likes this.

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Look on the right... ;) At least you have a picture now.
    Squier Custom Twice.jpg

not counting the '72 models (custom, thinline & deluxe), but the true VM(odified)-models the dual P90 is the best, but the others are quite good too...

Guitandanza and MonkeyJefferson like this.

9. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    The rosewood neck looks gtreat with the black finish!

I've had this blonde one for over 10 years now, it's my cheapest and possibly favourite electric, all stock and still sounding fine. Using the guitar controls is key to getting the best sounds out of it.

[​IMG]

10. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Mine just feels solid and rugged. Like you can drop it off a roof and it’d still be in tune...

Guitandanza likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.