Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tele bridge pup/tone in a strat?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bigben55, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, I know due to construction and the metal bridge plate design of a telecaster that you cannot NAIL that tone on a strat. BUT, how close can you get? Using specifically what????

2. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2010
    NY, NY
    Similarly, there's the DiMarzio Red Velvet. I have no personal experience with it though.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Seymour Duncan - Twangbanger

Harmonic Design - STP

O.C. Duff - Two Timer

These are some Strat bridge pickups that claim "Tele voiced" status.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Or an actual Tele if you have an exacto knife, a file, an emoryboard and like to live dangerously. Or wait, if its not a trad old school rout, then just sand the guard opening and drill new mounting holes. You could even cut off a p/up slot mount from the bridge section of a Tele bridge for the magnetic effect. BUT a Strat whammy bridge vs Tele body-thru fixed is the main sonic difference, Strat vs Teles. I've used Strat, Tele bridge p/ups in custom guitars and other than the Tele being a little fatter sounding they are very similar.

6. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2009
    north alabama
    a david allen johnny blade is exactly what you want!!!

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    My "strat" is actually a 93 G&L Legacy. Stock neck and middle. When i got it, it had a JB Jr. in the bridge which didn't do it for me, so i put a dimarzio virtual vintage blues in it, in like 1999. Nowadays, I just rarely use the bridge pup by itself. Thinking a change might do me good. Gotta be a 4 wire, cause I put the mini toggle expander switch in for neck-bridge.

I think the Legacy has a bathtub route.

8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    I love the sound of Tele bridge pickup in a Strat! It sounds a lot better, (to me) than a Strat bridge pickup.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Which of the aforementioned pickups are the least noisy? The low noise is the one thing about the VV Blues that I really like.

10. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2009
    north alabama
    the david allen johnnyblade is noiseless

11. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    I really respect the tech I've been going to, lately. I had him re-install the original '57/'62 pups to my AVRI Strat. He told me that, should I ever feel the need for a fuller sounding bridge pup, the Twangbanger is the ticket. Very high on it. He's a fan of the original set, as is, but said the Twangbanger balances really well with the set.

I've heard Sir Hiland on those Johnny Blades and they sound awesome (well...I think he's got some say in that sound as well, lol).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Twangbanger for the neck? I thought it was generally a made for bridge pickup.

13. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    My bad. Meant to say bridge. I'll edit it. Thanks.

14. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Like this

[​IMG]

Tele pickups are situated at exactly the same length on the centre line as are strat pickups. The tele neck pickup fits straight into the strat pickguard with splayed screws.

The bridge pickup needs some careful adjustment to the strat pickguard, the hole needs to be widened and twisted towards the headstock at the bass side and towards the bridge on the treble side. Measure twice, cut once. I overlaid a tele bridge plate template and filed it by hand. I do not remember that any woodworking had to be done, the Aria STG-3 has big pickup routs.

Tone wise, this can nail a tele, or be a super-powerful strat

The pickups are AmSer07 bridge, which has no back plate and so is fairly stratty, and a Baja06 Twisted-tele neck, which is very stratty. Middle is a Kent-Armstrong Vintage Strat neck (because tele and strat are opposite polarity, this makes a RWRP set)

Guitar is Aria STG-3 cheapo clone with genuine strat pickguard (aged white (cream yellow) with matching knobs), Wilkinson Vintage tremolo bridge unit, Fender 5-way, replacement pots and jack socket. Mostly bits from my O&S parts bin.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  15. railroadman

railroadman TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2013
    N.J.
    I've got an '11 Deluxe Player Strat that's ended up with a set of Texas Specials. Using this guitar's push/push switch to play the neck/bridge combo got me wondering how much like a Tele I could get it to sound. Added a Callahan steel baseplate to the bridge pup, and she's pretty close...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.