Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele and Wolf of Baltic Birch plywood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gangreen, Apr 17, 2016.

1. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    It was inevitable really....

The last big thing to exit the shop was this:

[​IMG]

A kitchen full of maple and birch cabinets.

And I had several of these left:

[​IMG]

In 12mm and 18mm thick with many scraps too.

And then Helmut sends me this picture....

[​IMG]

What am I supposed to do?!?

I_build_my_own likes this.

2. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    I cut 18mm plywood into 1-7/8" strips 20" long with the exterior grain in alternating directions as indicated by the lines in the ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this makes a pretty solid block of wood.

[​IMG]

With 19 layers it is just big enough for one of these.

[​IMG]

3. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    For the neck I cut 1"x30" strips from both 12mm and 18mm ply and laminated them to make an ~4" wide strip. Not sure this will hold up but it's worth a shot.

[​IMG]

Here's a volunteer from the studio audience for reference.

[​IMG]

Going to use the ply in a more traditional direction for the Wolf. 3 layers :12mm + 18mm + 12mm = 42mm or 1-5/8".

Both of these "body blanks" are heavy so I'll chamber them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wolf will have a maple neck.

fuffydingo, Blue Bill and roffe like this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Be sure to rough up the glue surfaces with sandpaper before gluing them together, especially the neck strips. I built a couple of guitars with this orientation on the necks and regular pancake direction on the bodies. The necks were _very_ stiff without any need for truss rods. Later I did some other glue ups that did not glue well, the A surface of those pieces had extra thin laminates, more like a lattice it was so thin and the factory adhesive left very little of the A surface wood free for my gluing - I could tear apart those strips by hand.

Pictures you have show great potential for nice looking and playing guitars.

5. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    Nice work on the kitchen! I bet you have earned major brownie points for that one :D

How are you planning on finishing these bad boys? The Tele, in particular, is Endgrain City.

My very limited experience with baltic birch plywood was that it was pretty nice to work with and the face plys stain well, but it's a little frangible when cut with a saw and not exactly the hardest stuff around, either - but you've clearly got bags of experience of that in doing the kitchen. Can't wait to see how these turn out.

6. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    Cool! Great use of scraps!

I used Baltic birch ply on a Dano style body. It works well, but as you stated, is HEAVY! I chambered mine to the point that it was really nothing but the outline of a tele body capped with hardboard and it still weighed about 4.5 lbs. In comparison, I did a pine and cedar body (no chambering) that weighed less than 4 lbs!

That laminated neck should be stiff enough (even without a truss rod) to park a truck on!

John

apacitto likes this.

7. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    Cross hatched areas will come out. This is the middle of the sandwich.

[​IMG]

With some furnishing...

[​IMG]

8. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2012
    Ohio
    Looks nice. I'm itching to finish mine, but lately my son's kept me running to hockey, lacrosse, band rehearsals, and my doctor appointments have me spending more time at the BP station refueling than I do at home!

9. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    :):):):);)
    I am glad my picture submission is part of the inspiration for these new axes .:)
    I like that fine tuner bridge!!!

10. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    I'd still like a piece of that 1/4" stenciled protective plywood for a top. May have to visit the guys at Intermountain Wood!!

11. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Sure why not !!! That board I have should yield 3

12. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    Cut out the chambers from the middle section. Used a fine-toothed blade in the jig saw and went slowly to avoid splintering. Will route the pups when the three layers are laminated. Lined up the back with the middle and chambered halfway into the 12mm back. Same with the front.

[​IMG]

I_build_my_own and HockeyPop98 like this.

13. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    Back glued to center. Wiring channels routed and shielded before the top goes on.

[​IMG]

lbridenstine likes this.

14. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    Necks and fretboards. For the Wolfgang I am using a quartersawn maple neck and maple fretboard. 25 1/2 inch scale. 22 frets. Telecaster is getting the plywood neck and vertical grain cherry fretboard. 25 1/2 inch scale purity 22 frets. Both neck blanks weighed 30 g. Hmmmm. ... Coincidence?

[​IMG]

15. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Routed the neck pocket 5/8" deep with no incline. Strings will be ~11mm at the saddles. Trip around the bandsaw and sander. Weight currently is 4#5oz.

Fretboard on the neck blank.

16. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    Debated whether to drill holes through each piece at each end and clamp all the body slats with all thread. I had some 1/2" aluminum channel in the shop. Lined up all 19 slats, clamped them in place and cut a 1/2" channel in each end with a dado blade on the table saw for alignment. Fit is tight so they should line up well when it comes time to glue. Had visions of 19 pieces skating around. Top view showed the areas that will be hollowed out. Transferred the hollowed sketch from the top to the sides of the slats. Will leave 3/8" top and bottom and angle the ends of the voids to match the void lines on the top. This is what the voids will look like on each side of the slats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    [​IMG]

I'm sure it was shortly after something like this that someone had the inspiration to invent a CNC.

18. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Aug 4, 2012
    Montrose, Colorado
    [​IMG]

It's plain to see how this all fits together as a telecaster from this view. Created the voids with 1-1/8" drill bit.

19. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York

20. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    ^^^+1,000!

Very clever! I'm enjoying where this is headed!

John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.