Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele 3 way wire diagram?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mrstrat, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,
    Can someone take me by the hand and tell how to wire up my Keystones? Or show me a picture of the wiring? I can solder good. I just don't understand the diagram.

Thanks for any help. :confused:

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=standard_tele

O.K.
    The white wires in the diagram are the same as what you have with the Keystones so just solder them (Neck and Bridge) on the terminals shown.

Your BLACK AND BLUE wires (from BOTH pickups) solder to the back metal of a pot for ground.

Then you need a "jumper wire". That is the continuous wire the runs thorough the two top terminals on the LEFT, to the two bottom terminals on the right.
    That "ties" them ALL together electrically.
    Then that bottom terminal on the right has a wire to the volume pot.

3. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,

This is going to sound stupid but ears on the switch are on the other side or opposite no matter witch i turn the switch on the diagram.

4. sjtalon

like this Stew mac ?

Attached Files:

5. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England

6. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    The Telecaster 3-way is actually TWO three-way switches on one lever (like when you grab two light-switches at once)

Each switch (or "pole" as it's called in the common jargon) has a terminal and three lugs. For each position on the lever, a lug on each pole is connected to it's respective terminal.

If I understand your question, you're wondering which end the terminal is on for each pole. The answer is: It depends on the switch.

If it's an open switch like the Oak-Grigsby that Fender uses in their USA guitars, you can kind of tell just by looking. If it's a closed-box switch, you either need a diagram from the manufacturer, or else you need to do a little testing to know for sure which lug is which.

7. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    I would highly recommend looking into a 4 way switch. It gives you one more option which is both pickups in series, rather than parallel. You lose nothing, and you get one more very usable sound option. It gives you a little more output and a slightly different tone.

I did it on my SX when I installed Keystones (great pickups, btw) and I am happy I did.

Do a search for 4 way switch and you'll find plenty of info including wiring diagrams.

8. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,
    Hear is the Switch. http://www.warmoth.com/3-Way-Blade-Switch-P721C80.aspx

9. sjtalon

Somethin' screwy with what they sent you ?? If you had received a actual CRL switch like in the link you post (Warmoth), there shouldn't have been this issue with the offset (stagger-ed)terminals or this "backwards" deal.

The CRL would match most of that diagrams out there, like the one in my 1st post.

Compare this pic and see the difference in the STANDARD CRL (the terminal on the left is at 8 O'clock not 9 like the Stew). CRL is what is in Fenders.

http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/stewmac_vs_crl_3w_sw.jpg

Not that any of this matters, you have what you have, just pointing out the differences.

10. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,
    My switch looks like the Standard CRL.

11. sjtalon

and when you flip the switch upside down (viewing the bottom, so the sel. lever is AWAY from you) and hold it vertical like the pic in my second post, the top terminal on the left side of the disk is LOWER than the one on the right ??

12. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,
    Looks just like the Stewmac Switch except the spring is on the top.

13. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,

The one on the right is the switch.

14. sjtalon

it's the same switch, just pics of both sides

so you say, when you look at the view on the left, the left terminal is stagger-ed TO THE LEFT of the one on the opposite side ??

15. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

May 14, 2010
    MA,

16. sjtalon

ya that's the best bet.

not to beat a dead horse but that switch of yours just doesn't seem right for a CRL.

Whatever, it is what it is. That scheme in the link you posted (& jefrs)corresponds with your terminals.

17. Flaskan

Flaskan TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Sweden
    I'm stealing the thread a bit and ask a question, I tried wiring after Seymoure duncans wiring schedual:

Buy my switch has the little loops the other way around, if you just reverse it, so the four on the left of the image is the "top" ones and the four on the left is the "bottom" ones. I think Stewmac switches is that way? I have a switchcraft one I think. Do I still wire it this way? Or is it some other way? Please help!!

[​IMG]

18. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

sorry for dredging up this old thread - i received some fender brand strat/tele 3 ways with an esquire i am assembling and noted the tags are different to the above diagram - same as the spewmac ones - the offsets are different
    ie: the first tag on the left bank is behind the first tag on the right bank not in front as per the above pic -

i pulled out an oak grigsby 3way and it looks the same as the above diagram. the switch seems to be the standard switch throughout tele dom - except at fender and sprewmac

didnt have time to convert arlo mod esquire wiring to this odball switch - i just used the OG jobby

can any body help this?

diagram for standard would be helpful as well

19. PaulHCantillon

PaulHCantillon TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2010
    UK
    I know it's an old thread, but thanks for posting! It helped me sort my Mex Tele after replacing a broken jack output socket and like a total amateur, I didn't take note of which way round the wires go. Of course, I guessed and got it the wrong way round which caused a massive BUZZ (hardly surprising really). More haste less speed :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.