Tele 1975: if you were in my place what would you do?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by asquinet, Apr 26, 2019.

1. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Hello, I would ask your kind opinion about this.
    I have seen a Telecaster of 1975, very attractive. But, there are several "but"...
    Firstly, some picts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The issues:
    - bridge pickup not original;
    - potentiometers and condenser was changed;
    - has a stripping on back of body, athough it it is not ugly to see (at least on my eyes);

The good news:
    - the neck is more confortable;
    - the neck pickup sound is very amazing (bridge pickup I have NOT considered, even sounds good...)
    - has correct original hard case shell
    - price is 2000 € (about 2227 Usd).

Cost of an original bridge PU could be around 300 usd....pots I have not found...

Please....what would you do if you were in my pants???
    Thank you!!!!
    Claudio from Italy

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd get a nice new USA telecaster for half the price, but that's me. I've had old vintage guitars and other than the mojo, they were just old guitars. After the chase and ownership for a couple of years, they got sold off. There was a time in the late 80's and 90's when CBS era Fenders were just used guitars with poor quality control. Time heals all wounds I guess. :). In the end, do what makes you happy.

3. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

To my mind there are four reasons to buy a vintage guitar.
    1) it is better than a new one. My 40s Martin falls into this category.
    2) you can flip it for money.
    3) that guitar isn't made anymore, so if you want one it has to be vintage.
    4) It is cheaper than a new one.

If it were my purchasing decision, I would play it and see if I liked it better than a new tele. A friend of mine has a 68 Tele that is all original and I like my partscaster way better. If you don't LOVE the way that guitar plays, looks and sounds then don't buy it. Or as Guitarbuilder says, do what makes you happy.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I bought a '73 Tele many moons ago just because I thought I needed an older Tele. It was a good guitar but far from a great guitar. I never really clicked with it. I just recently sold it - for a fair bit more than I paid for it - and am glad I did. I just finished building myself a replacement that i like a lot more. So, if I were in your shoes, I would probably pass. But that's just me. :D

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Would you buy a 1975 Fiat? Would you buy a 1975 Fiat in only fair cosmetic condition with replacement parts of unknown origin installed in it? Would you pay a premium price for it? Would you buy it if it was a Spyder? Do you think the Fiat will be worth more ten years from now with additional wear? If you answered YES to all of these questions, buy the Fiat. Let someone else buy the Telecaster.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Me too!....I'd probably BUILD exactly what I wanted for a THIRD of the price. I simply don't hold a vintage guitar (unless it has historical significance) in reverence.....now, if it plays well, sounds good, and feels right....and is a GOOD price, I would consider it. Otherwise, I'm good with my "perfect" partscaster. ;)

Greggorios and Piggy Stu like this.
  7. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

From collectibility perspective because of non-original neck PU the value drops. But everything else check outs. I think it's a reasonable deal.

8. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

2200, to me is a little steep with all those changes. that back look does not look like just plain buckle rash

VWAmTele and ScribbleSomething like this.
  9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

IF you go ahead , make sure to see under the pickguard if there are any extra routs. The current pickguard is a lousy fit around the neck , pickguard also changed ?
    So , changed out bridge pu , pots and someone started to strip the back of the body ?
    A 75 in perfect condition wouldn't even be worth that price to me , others will think different , I wouldn't pay near that for the one you are looking at
    I would consider paying the same or more for a better and maybe older guitar instead.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It suprises me every time how much that shallow bass side shoulder, of the CBS era Teles, stings my eyes :eek:
    that's enough to make it a no-go - at least for me.

but...if it plays well, sounds good, and feels right....and is a GOOD price, as @nojazzhere said, why not?

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I would fix the strap button and put a don mare pickup in the bridge to make it sound nice. That's all I would do.

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

The wear and tear on the front looks original but the belt sander job on the back would kill it for me.

Greggorios, VWAmTele and Midnighttoil like this.
  13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

All about how it sounds and plays to me. Mid 70’s Fender can be sketchy too but tele’s less so than strats in my experience.

I can buy a dream tele for way less than $2200 that I might like a lot better.

Neck looks nice tho, tough call only u can make.

I like the Spyder analogy above. Had a hot rodded 71 124 Spyder in college. It ate more valve cover gaskets than I ate cheeseburgers at the time and I ate a lotta cheeseburgers

14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you like it that's not a terrible price. Pickups of that vintage can be microphonic and the 1 meg pots do no favours. Maybe acquire a wiring harness for resale but I wouldn't. That's the sort of guitar I'd buy because I could just get Duncan's or some other vintage-is-cool type pickups wire them with 250k pots and a four way and make it mine.

You could easily get someone to shoot the sanded back - mostly the finish is stuffed on 70s Teles there and worn through anyhow. If it were mine I'd take the rest off - looks like nice ash.

As long as the neck is sound with fret wear left.

Yeah - partcasters or new ones will be cheaper and maybe play or even sound better but you can lose 50% or more on them. Build ten for a grand apiece and you do five grand cold. They're a false economy. In Europe a $1000 US guit is closer to $2k.

There aren't any more 70s Teles being made and despite what people say there's little real difference between a 66 and 76. They'll keep incrementing up but are still available at merely outrageous not obscene bucks. A good one is still a good one - try getting Micawber off Keef.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    tele12 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

100 per cent no on pictures. Playing it might make me think otherwise but prob not when there are AVs going cheap

16. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

If I were in your pants I would get on my vespa, go find an hot Italian girl, take her to dinner, make passionate love, then take the 1500 dollars or so and get either a used AVRI, or AO

17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I would find out the weight. My 1970 tele was a boat anchor.

2 Headed Goat and t guitar floyd like this.
  18. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

In my opinion there's nothing special about a mid 70's Tele. I wouldn't even want one. It's not worth $2,000 +, not even close.

S Mac

VWAmTele and Piggy Stu like this.
  19. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

On the guitar alone, maybe not so much. Also, we don't know what kind of music you play, whether you collect guitars or will this be your only electric or just what.

If math is correct, then in 1975 you were 15 - no? Was there some musician you admired that played a similar telecaster? Basic web research says in 1975, Fausto Bertoglio wins the Giro d'Italia, Claudia Cardinale appeared in the Immortal Bachelor and Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren in La Pupa del Gangster. Marcello was busy that year. If 1975 was somehow some magical year for you, then maybe.

Otherwise, not so much, unless after playing it and studying it, you just really, really, really like this particular guitar.

There are so many other excellent choices to be made with that price amount that you "should" (dovresti ) have a compelling story that connects to the time of this guitar. Some of the visuals are nice, sure, but some of the condition doesn't really look like natural wear.

Yeah. So no.

But, it's your choice. good luck with whatever you decide.

20. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

One more vote for the "If it makes you happy..." school of thought.
    Price seems a bit high, I don't like the belt sander damage, but it'll
    be yours, not mine.
    Life is just too short.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.