Teisco maybe? Help identifying please.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by amx4080, Jun 15, 2012.

1. amx4080

amx4080 TDPRI Member

No logo on the headstock, but the bridge and tailpiece scream Teisco to me:

[​IMG]

A small sticker says EG-17, the only other clue for ID I have.

2. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Does it have a 6 tuners in a row Fender-style headstock or the 4 + 2 "fishhook" style?
    I've got a few mid '60s Teiscos that use the same control knobs and pickup, too.

3. amx4080

amx4080 TDPRI Member

6 in a row, on a stamped metal plate. String tree, zero fret. Black painted headstock, much like my Tulip.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

70's Teisco, I believe. Sometimes you never know where these treasures were made.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide Tele-Afflicted

Definitely looks Teisco-esque.

One thing that's important to remember when it comes to MIJ guitars of the 60s and 70s is that often plants churned out huge numbers of these generic sorts of instruments and then different distributors would buy up a certain amount and have them "branded" with a certain name ala Teisco. Often you'll see identical guitars with different names and logos on the headstock. You might see four of the exact same guitar made in the same plant around the same time, but one may be a Teisco, one may be an Conqueror, one might have nothing at all on the headstock, and one might be branded with the name of a chain of guitar stores that contracted with the manufacturer to purchase a certain number of this model with thier company's name on the headstock.

In other words, Teisco wasn't its own maker--they weren't a manufacturer. They were an import and distribution company, although there were also times that Teisco would create their own specs and have one of the well-known Japanese factories make models specifically for them.

The same thing often happens today. There may be one plant that manufactures guitars for a large number of different "brands". Sometimes these are more or less generic instruments that get branded differently; sometimes a company will create their own designs and specs and contract with a manufacturer to build and produce specific models.

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

The Teisco Twanger's Paradise hasn't been updated in awhile and doesn't show every model of Teisco guitars, but it looks a bit like the E-100. It seems like Teisco was making it up as they went along and there is considerable variation, depending on parts supply, country destination and buyer.

7. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

I have a "Harmony" branded guitar with the same body and hardware, 2 of those pickups, 6 a side headstock, 2 string trees, and no zero fret. "Made in Japan" on neckplate. Nice little guitar for slide. I'll have to take some pics to post. Tiesco? Maybe, hard to say from the available information.

8. amx4080

amx4080 TDPRI Member

I know the same factories kicked out the same thing will all kinds of badges (Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!). I own a one pickup Tulip, and it's nice in it's own way; it sounds pretty good actually! The simplicity of a single pickup leaves no excuses for my playing. :lol:

Piecing together the history of what was badged what when seem like an impossible task since these were built 30 or more years ago, they are an interesting curiosity now. But it sure is fun to speculate.

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

"Treasures?" I owned one of those, super microphonic pickup, plywood body and a longbow kind of neck.

Nope, a treasure it certainly wasn't.

10. amx4080

amx4080 TDPRI Member

I think "treasure" is meant a bit tongue in cheek.

They are what they are. They are not a finely crafted tool. But I bet there are a lot of folks who had one as a first guitar, and would want it back today simply for the memories of being 12 again in 1966 (before I was born!).

My Tulip has a plywood neck, and I can attest it's as straight as my high other "treasures" that cost a bunch more. Yes, it will feedback horribly with a loud amp. Yes, the pickups are microphonic. Even with the drawbacks, there is a charm about them.

Making an automobile comparison, some folks disrespect a Rambler in favor of Chevy/Ford/Mopar, but the Rambler had it's own virtues (not to mention front seats that folded back to make a bed. Maybe the nerds who drove Ramblers on dates knew something the cool kids didn't?).

11. Phat-o-Caster

Phat-o-Caster Tele-Meister

I'd date it a bit earlier if it is a Tiesco they had the engraved pick guards by 69/70 but most had the truss rod adjustment above the neck pick up too. Looks like the original pic up was swapped out so it's lost some originality-These can make great slide guitars-try an open tuning and you might be surprised how good these old Japanese cheapos can sound-Brian

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you've said it exactly. i think it would be near to impossible to find examples of every tiesco guitar sent out in to the world. i honestly think that they would come in to the factory, grab together whatever parts they had the most of on that day and then slapped 'em together. some that went out the door were complete unredeemable dogs and some were fairly decent instruments.

i've been trying as long as i've been on the internet to find one like i had when i was a kid. i'll see a bridge here, a pickguard there, and maybe a body shape something like it, but never that same exact guitar.

anyhow, to the OP: tiesco, for sure.

13. amx4080

amx4080 TDPRI Member

The more I look at it the more I feel it has to be a Teisco. Look at the little indicators on the volume and tone, almost an exact copy of the Tulip I currently own. Thanks for the replies, it's been a fun discussion.

14. RocketRadio

RocketRadio TDPRI Member

Teisco maybe?

Hi there.
    Last week I bought this guitar for next to nothing in Cape Town. The ad said that it is a Silvertone Hawk. I have found evidence online of a silvertone that looks just like this guitar but not one that says "Hawk" on the headstock.

I was just wondering if anyone else has perhaps ever seen a "Hawk" like this and if there is anything that you can tell me about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

15. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

"Treasures" was most definitely tongue firmly planted in cheek! I know they're low quality guitars, but I have a soft spot for them anyway.

16. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

We had those in Uk back in early 70`s. we used to call them woolies specials. as they were sold in stores like Woolworths, s mall department style store.
    they were branded Zenta/Jedson or Kay in this country.
    blooming awfull things.
    its a wonder that any of us actually learned to play after having one of those as first guitar.
    in fact here`s a pic and price of one from an old Bells musical instruments catalogue.
    http://personal.inet.fi/surf/lorse/bellcatalogue/24.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.