Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ted Greene intro or ending in C.

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by klasaine, Feb 24, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Ken, what's the suggested fingering for the G7sus? Index finger across the third fret and ring on the fifth fret?

2. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Yes. That's how I play it. Just don't hit any of the stings/notes that aren't marked.

Ted wouldn't draw the 'barre' into chord diagrams a lot of the time. He wants to make sure that you know which notes are the chord tones to play in the particular voicing.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Yeah...above my paygrade...lol

4. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Practice it and it won't be ;).

I know that some of these TG vids I do employ grips that are both uncommon and a little difficult at first but I swear to god they will get easier with a bit of focused effort.

For those of you who really liked this one and didn't necessarily bond with some of the others ... go back to some of the others and see if 1) they play easier and 2) they maybe make a little more sense to your ear and/or musical sensibilities.

*I sincerely appreciate all the comments and discussion and the new youtube subscriptions. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Nickadermis likes this.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I have the double curse of 1) average-size hands and 2) laziness.

But you're right, it's amazing how possible it is to progress on this stuff if you just give it time. It's always amazed me how I can work on something for hours, getting almost there, but not quite. Then, giving it a few days rest, and it magically being there fully-formed when I come back to it. The brain is an amazing thing. Sometimes it does its best work when we're asleep. :)

6. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    I'm a big proponent of visualization away from the instrument. I put myself to sleep at night thinking about (working on it in my head) a tune or a line or couple of chord voicings I'm struggling with. This is not an uncommon technique for musicians, especially classical musicians - playing the piece in your head, many times. If you can see and hear yourself doing it ... you will do it. I think that's called psycho-cybernetics ala "the inner game of tennis" from the 70s. It friggin works!

brookdalebill and televillian like this.

7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    These videos have helped me far more than I ever thought. My hands are/were physically not well suited. Short large fingers have become short just larger than average fingers. But I have large palms.

But the lessons have given me.

1. Ear training combined with new chord voicings ( I have to adapt some of them to my limitations)

2. Motivation to continue beyond just what is in each video. (What sounds good next or before what is demonstrated)

3. Improvements in my general playin, and this has been A marked improvement. My finger picking of just the strings which need to be plucked has become more natural and flowing. My ability to use full bar chords other than the E and A type is much more natural and my ability or willingness to just use partial chords has improved greatly.

And this has come even though my progress on some of these actual lessons still requires slow deliberate practice.

I certainly appreciate your efforts to enlighten us !

klasaine likes this.

8. klasaine

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    My pleasure!

There are so many morsels of gold in this post quoted above that I'm bolding them and will elaborate ...

1) "adapt some of them to my limitations". Yes, perfectly normal, acceptable and even recommended. *Trust me, nobody (not Lenny, not Chet or even Julian Bream) could do it exactly like TG ... nobody.

2) "what sounds good next or before". Exactly the point. And there are always several possibilities. Use these as a starting block or ending block. *This vid is titled 'Intro or Ending in C'.

3) "fingerpick just the strings marked". Great for right hand technique and not sounding sloppy on any type of guitar music. *It's a real benefit to be able to voice a chord on just the 5th, 3rd and 1st strings. Some fantastic voicings lie there. For example; Fmaj7 - X 12 X 10 X 12

4) "progress on actual lessons still requires work". Always. A few of these that I've done I've had to practice them for a day or two before I felt they were ready for me to share. And believe me, some of them I listen back to and think I coulda/shoulda done it better.

E5RSY and Nickadermis like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.