Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Ted Greene guitars for sale

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tiktok, Nov 19, 2010.

1. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    Saw these in the Lark Street Music ad.

[​IMG]

As I recall reading, Ted's Tele is routed paper thin in the back under the humbuckers. I believe Fender also used a number of Ted's blackguards as reference for the initial '52 RI back in the day.

Most of Ted's guitars seemed to have a bunch of switches and sliders for accessing a variety of pickup and tone capacitor options. Last night I was looking through his book 'Chord Chemistry' and noticed a picture of a 50's goldtop LP, with the stop tailpiece, P-90's...and some Fender-sized single coil in between the neck pickup and the fretboard, plus a half dozen micro switches.

2. I would have never figured Ted for a guy to own a guitar with over 12 switches on it! (That red 335-style guitar). I always thought he just let his fingers do the talking. Guess he was a tinkerer, eh?

3. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    That ES is strung through the body!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    well, I'd take that Blackguard, change the pickguard and bridge plate.

6. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    When I was studying with Ted, He lent me a Broadcaster to take home and play. The strings were beyond coroded, so I changed them. When the strings were off, I took the pickguard off. It looked likeTed had taken a screwdriver and gouged out a place to mount a HB under the pickguard. I asked him WTF, Ted. He said he was experimenting, and said he liked the (I don't remember the model, a Fender that had the PU's mounted under the pickguard. the Marauder?) and wanted to see what a Tele sounded like with that arrangement. He was an explorer!

I understand that Ted's brother inherited Teds guitars and amps and has sold them all off.

7. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2010
    Colfax Ca.
    I'm trying to confirm if this is legit over at http://forums.tedgreene.com I'm pretty sure that Ted's long time partner Barbara Franklin knows where all of his guitars are. Also, searching the lark street music site for the phrase "Ted Greene" comes up blank.

But if it's true then oh my gosh, I'd love to have both of those.

8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    buzzy is a standup guy - I would venture they are legit

9. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2010
    Colfax Ca.
    The Gibson appears to be similar to the guitar on the left side of the original cover of the MCP book. If I remember correctly, the inside back cover had another picture that showed he had another modified Gibson. This may be that 2nd Gibson.

[​IMG]

10. tiktok

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    Lark Street has it under 'teddy greene':

http://larkstreetmusic.com/cgi-bin/stock.cgi?file=justin.txt

*'53 TELECASTER & '59 ES-355, formerly the personal instruments of the late, great,
    Teddy Greene of "Chord Chemistry" fame, both guitars heavily modded by Ted but both
    have heavy provenance - the 355 being the one on the cover of his book, the Tele
    well known as well, serious inquiries------will be welcome!

11. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2005
    bloomington, in
    That's a new one on me too.

12. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2010
    Colfax Ca.
    Barbara says yes, those are in fact, Ted's guitars. She wasn't able to get all of Ted's guitars and she's quite sentimental about the Gibson which she thinks is the one Ted was playing on the cover of Chord Chemistry.

Let's hope they go to a player who respects Ted as much as his fans do.
    [​IMG]

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

If that's the same ES as on the book cover, someone did a great job of hiding the Bigsby holes...

I love the string-through mounting on the ES though. As for the switches, I'm not going to be the one to accuse Ted Greene of being too fussy about his tone. :lol:

14. Guit-jitsu

Guit-jitsu Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sure what he tinkered with more, his guitars or his beard styles?

15. I was just thinking: we need more beards these days. Why should the terrorists have all the best beards? :lol:

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Those are beards?!? They're both outdoor shots, so I just thought squirrels were eating his face. I wondered why he seemed so serene about it.

17. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    :lol::lol::lol: If it will help me to play like Ted, I will gladly grow a beard that makes me look like I have been surprised in the act of swallowing a stoat.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    ditto.

19. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

They may have valuable artist associations for many people, but as playing guitars I wouldn't be interested in either due to all those mods.

20. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    When I saw that the 335 was strung "string through" my 1st thought was the strings are bound to be binding against the back edge of the bridge body. Then I looked closer... Did you guys notice that the saddles are all set fully back? I assume to prevent that very problem.

21. tiktok

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    The saddles on the Tele are also back there a ways. I read that Ted would use a really heavy gauge (.017) at least sometimes, and then be tuned down, so maybe that also factors into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.