Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21 Trademark Club 10, 30, 60 +

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Steve G, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I had a TM60 for a couple years, replaced it with a Katana 100W 1x12. I think I enjoy the extra versatility of the Katana. Then a friend gave me two PE60's! They are just sitting in the back room waiting for something to hook up to them.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    You're absolutely right. The TM60 is up to a point fully capable of standing alone in terms of its power, while the TM30 is nowhere near loud enough by itself, but comes into its own when connected to external amplification. The controls also work very differently on the two models, but since my requirement is for the optimal clean(-ish) sound I can ignore the provisions for umpteen kinds of distortion. From my point of view the tiny size and very light weight of the TM30 are huge assets – although I do sometimes use instead one of my many other amps, if only to justify my possession of them...

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Up tp a point - I've read this from a number of TM60 users. That's why I bought the PE 60 as well. I imagine I can still maintain a completely clean sound at stage volume using the two together. The TM 60 is still very light for me. Especially compared to my 80 pound Rivera.

davidchagrin likes this.

4. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I can really appreciate that. I'm not getting any younger, and not long ago I very reluctantly parted with the Music Man 112RP-100-EV I'd owned and loved for very many years, because I could no longer cope with its weight of "only" 65 lbs. These days the two heaviest amps I own weigh about 44 lbs each, while my TM60 is a little under 40 lbs with the Celestion G12K-100 speaker upgrade I installed. My gig case of leads and other bits weighs nearly that much...

I'm completely in agreement regarding clean stage volume in conjunction with a PE60, but if even that won't do it (unlikely), then the beauty of the TM series is the XLR Out feed, by means of which stage volume is limited only by the capability of the PA. I've used it most successfully once or twice with my own TM60 on outdoor festival-type gigs rather than miking up.

Jim622 and davidchagrin like this.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I've played too many gigs in the last two years where the amp wasn't mic'd and there really was only enough PA for vocals. I'll certainly use that when and where I can, but I also need to have enough raw power for those times I don't. The *other* beauty is that I can run yet another PE 60, if need be. And they are cheap on the used market.

davidchagrin and Tony474 like this.

6. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Sounds fair enough to me.

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    As Firesign Theater put it "A fair for all, but no fair to anyone!"

8. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    TM60 arrived today. I've had some time to fool around with it. Very, very nice. Currently between bands, so trying it out onstage may be a little bit in the future, so I have no idea what the stage volume test might reveal.

The sound is incredibly smooth with the bite switch off. I have no idea how anyone uses that for a clean sound. The mids/punch control gets barky as h*ll before it gets to noon. No idea how anyone uses that either. I tested it with the punch control at noon, and my Dachshund in the other room, down the hall went ballistic. Youch.

It really does sound great. A couple of little niggles, though. The clean comes across a bit compressed. I have to adjust my compressor down because of this. I don't set the sustain control past 11:00 to begin with. I'd rather the compression came from the pedal. I've run into speakers that do this, so I wonder...

Having said that, the Tech 21 speaker creates what I can only call high end frequency 'hash' with my blues breaker clones. I use two, one of each version of the original Mk1. This doesn't happen with other amps. I wonder if a differently voiced speaker would eliminate this. I have some WGS G12C/S speakers I am going to sell. I could use one as a test.

It's been said that Tech 21 doesn't recommend using a different speaker because the original Tech 21 speakers were intended to work with the amp specifically. Yet they themselves eventually changed to a Celestion that *wasn't* designed to work with their amps design.

Regardless, I am very pleased, and hope a new speaker (Cannabis Rex) will improve an already great sounding amp.

Jim622, emisilly and Shango66 like this.

9. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    First of all, happy new amp! I don't know whether the original manual came with your TM60, but it contains a number of suggested settings for various generic sounds. These are useful to the extent of being starting points which you can then fine-tune to suit your tastes and circumstances of use.

If I have one minor gripe about the "Bite" switch, it's that the difference between "on" and "off" is too great and a bit of fiddling with the EQ is called for. The "Punch" control isn't just a midrange control, but increases gain as it's advanced too. It's one of the things that make the first channel so versatile, going from clean to well overdriven depending on settings. For the cleanest sounds "Punch" is best left either off completely (a bit thin with a single-coil Tele or Strat) or advanced no more than 9 or 10 o'clock. After that, as you say, it imparts a hard-edged bark not suitable for the kind of clean-ish sounds I want to use.

The two EQ controls are very sensitive and a little adjustment goes a very long way. The recommended setting for a Twin-like clean is with both at 12 o'clock, but that didn't quite work for me. But they don't have to be moved far to make an audible difference. It might take a while to get it just so, but it can be done.

I've never really had any use for the setting whereby the boost and reverb can be footswitched on and off together, so that's turned off on mine. I don't use the footswitch anyway as I don't use channel 2 at all. However, I normally keep the Boost about halfway up, as it provides that bit of extra clean headroom.

The TM60 is a nice amp once you get used to its rather quirky controls. It's long been one of my favourite amps (I own lots) and it's served me well over the years. I hope your example brings you equal pleasure.

Jim622 and Shango66 like this.

10. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    Congrats on the new amp. It took me quite a while to find what I like on the amp as far as settings go. The bite switch can be useful with dark hb pickups. Regarding ch1 compressed sound, I found that raising the gain close to 3 o'clock opens up the sound a bit more. The punch control is very dynamic and i usually never had it past 10 o'clock.
    I'm a player that uses guitar volume a lot and I liked to use both channels separately for that. I treated the tm60 as two different amps. If i jammed with another guitarist who had a British voiced amp, I'd use channel 1. If they had an American voiced amp, I'd use ch2. This allowed me to always have a distinct voice in the mix.
    Best of luck to you.

Jim622 likes this.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    The Power Engine 60 was designed exactly for that. If you like your flyrig, the PE60 is a good clean power amp to run it to. Or any light solid state amp with an effects loop so you can just use the power amp input.

If you were running the flyrig into the input of the TM30, that could be the reason you had a lot of noise or hiss.

davidchagrin likes this.

12. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The manual is available for download online as a PDF. I went to that after just working with the amp, flying by the seat of my pants, as it were. I actually found the controls fairly intuitive. You're right about the bite switch. I'm not sure I find much use for it, although I'll experiment, as it's always good to know what the limits and capacities are of any piece of gear.

Interesting that the boost allows extra clean headroom, that's good to know. Typically the boost will drive an amp into breaking up, as I'm sure you already know.

13. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'll try that with the gain control. I assume you mean the drive control, right? I've noticed it seems to also affect the fullness, warmth and responsiveness, or lack thereof for the clean sound.

Do you use ch 2 for a clean sound, or overdriven? I could see using it as a different voice if it stayed clean. I'm mainly after clean sounds here.

davidchagrin likes this.

14. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    I do mean the drive control on ch1. I'd set it to where it starts to break up, then roll back my guitar volume for clean tone.
    I work ch2 similarly, though ch2 has no purely clean tone with the guitar volume dimed. I set it between 9 and noon for overdrive then pull the guitar volume back until it clears up.

15. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I've typically used the amp with the "Bite" switch on, as it seems to provide sufficient apparent extra loudness to cut through the on-stage mix. The marked extra brightness can be tamed by judicious setting of the high EQ and the "Punch" control.

The "Boost" knob, we are told, brings in up to 9dB of additional gain but seemingly without overdriving the power stage to the point of distortion. I've never needed to turn it all the way up, but I haven't noticed any break-up with it set about halfway.

16. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Right. Yet I noticed that having the bite on causes the amp to more readily break up if the drive control is up to 2 o' clock or beyond. The first thing I did after reading your post was to go experiment with the bite. I had to turn the high EQ all the way down in order for it to suit my taste and set up.

17. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    I'm a player that uses guitar volume a lot and I liked to use both channels separately for that. I treated the tm60 as two different amps. If i jammed with another guitarist who had a British voiced amp, I'd use channel 1. If they had an American voiced amp, I'd use ch2. This allowed me to always have a distinct voice in the mix.
    Best of luck to you.[/QUOTE]

Good way of putting it. I've had mine about 15 years or so and I've always approached each channel as a different amp. It has its oddities, but once you figure them out, it's a fantastic amp. Mine goes, I'll look for another. Which may be alittle harder now.

davidchagrin likes this.

18. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Okay, let me see if I am understanding this correctly - the Trademark does not send a set level to the PE 60. The volume of the TM 60 affects the volume of the PE 60, that is. Then the volume of the PE 60 can be further determined by the output control of the PE 60's level control.

That's what seems to be happening. I'd read quite the opposite elsewhere.

Two Cannabis Rex speakers arrived, and will go in the TM and PE in the next 24 hours.

19. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    UPDATE:

The Cannabis Rex will not fit in the TM 60. I'm going to have to see if any of those GC currently has are the later model with the Celestion 70/80. Those you can drop replace a different speaker into. The Tech 21 labeled speaker is an odd, smaller size, and other speakers will not fit.

If GC doesn't have a v2 TM 60, then I'll have to return the TM and PE 60 and just go with the DV Mark Frank Gambale FGC 121. Looks like I may be starting a new club possibly.

I can't believe Tech 21 went with such an obvious design flaw. Of course, if they'd managed to design the eternal indestructible speaker, it wouldn't a problem. More than a bit short sighted on their part.

20. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    That's a bummer. If you lived closer to Michigan, I'd sell you mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.