Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21 Trademark Club 10, 30, 60 +

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Steve G, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    That's a tricky one to answer as there don't seem to be any 10" 4-ohm speakers that will fit in the cabinet - see post 212 above. Using an 8-ohm speaker will reduce the power stage's output. Best I can suggest is experiment with turning the bass and mid eq down. The controls are active and a little adjustment can make a big difference.

2. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    On Thursday ordered a new TM 60!!

Excited! First quality ss amp in yrs (since my old pre transtube Bandit)

davidchagrin likes this.
  3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    This definitely helped me a ton - I often use a Tweed/Clean/US setting at a low volume that sounds fantastic, but when I crank it up the speaker gets all flubby. I owned the amp for almost 2 years before figuring out that I could just turn down the bass when I need to turn up the volume and then it sounds fine :D

Tony474 likes this.
  4. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Congratulations; enjoy! It does pay, I found, to read the manual and learn exactly what the controls do, because they're effective but a bit unusual. The brand-new speaker may take a little time to sound its best. The TM60 is a terrific amp and one of my favourites.

RyCo1983 and Doug 54 like this.
  5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I accidentally bought a TM60 off of reverb.

Oops!
    Now I'm the proud owner of the 30 and 60 models!

Might be time to let the 30 go!
    The 60 is a killer unit!

I can't wait to work it out with a full band.

6. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I wouldn't part with either my TM60, that I've had for years, or my TM30, acquired recently. The little amp is so light, sounds great and is just so cute that I'm using it for all my gigs at the moment, lined out into the PA. But the TM60 is the daddy.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  7. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    Well, I've had my TM60 for 9 months now and I am extremely happy with it. I've learned how to dial in the sound, no matter what room we're playing in (although some rooms are more difficult than others). I always use the SansAmp XLR out straight to the mixing board, and it sounds great. We used one sound company where the guy gave me the hairy eyeball when I told him that I wanted the amp run direct, rather than mic'd, but once he heard it he said he couldn't believe how good it sounded. I don't feed my amp signal back through the monitors (never liked it), so the amp has to fill the stage without any help, and it's plenty loud enough for that. The boost feature is great for boosting guitar solos. The Accutronics reverb is very nice sounding, and I leave it on all the time.

Does anyone that has one of these amps ever engage the "Weep" button on channel 2? I haven't yet found a use for that feature. The manual says that it works best with individual notes, but it's too much of a bother to engage it before a solo, and then disengage it for rhythm playing.

Cheers!

8. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    The weep feature seems to add compression. I don't really care for it because I use a lot of variable pick attack dynamics.

9. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2011
    With the TM60, my amp journey may have found its final stop.

After parting with my Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr head and 2x12 cabinet a few months ago, I demo'd a multitude of different amps. Why ditch the Maz, which I had considered my Holy Grail? I realized that 1) the Maz was simply too much amp for the rooms I play; I was only using a fraction of its practical volume and 2) lugging 80 pounds around for gigs and jams started getting pretty dang old after several years. Drummers and bass players, I feel your pain. So in early November 2016, the search was on.

Back to the Fender Mustang III (had one, liked it, traded it in to get the Maz)? Nope. Too many options I'd never use and a bit too reliant on Fuse to get the tones where I wanted them to be. Return to the Blues Junior? Nah, not enough clean headroom for gigging and I've dialed up that old flame's number a few too many times. Fender Super-Sonic? Too heavy, and not enough mojo (for me) on the Burn channel. Various Blackstar amps? Good sound, but not great feel. Supro Tremo-Verb? Lordy, awesome tones, but again... not much clean headroom for gigging, and I do love my distortion pedals. Orange Crush Pro? Solid, yet "meh". Various Orange Terrors? Nope, just not doing it for me. Quilter Tone and Pro Blocks? Boring with humbuckers, passable with single coils into a Quilter 1x12 cabinet or Mesa 1x12. I did wind up up taking home a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 10-inch combo, but returned it (effects loop tone suck and channel switching quirks were deal breakers, amazing tone though - and LOUD and LIGHT!).

So, cash still in hand, I found a gently used TM60 through Guitar Center's national used bin; this one was in New Mexico, I'm in New Hampshire. $300 plus $25 shipping, including footswitch, and based on the cosmetics, it looked like a more recent version with the Celestion Seventy 80 speaker, which would mean I'm getting it for less than half the cost of a new one (usually around $600). Nearly a full refund (no mulligan on the shipping charges) if I don't like it, sure why not...

Whoa. Where has this amp been all my life?

It is indeed a more recent TM60; it can't be more than a few years old. Tactile clean tones from Channel 1 (Bite engaged), and it eats pedals any pedals for any meal of the day plus a midnight snack. Channel 2's grind is wonderful, so articulate without being muddy, even at full gain (Weep off, and I've got the Growl set to about 2 o'clock). I've almost never used an amp's dirty channel, but I simply can't ignore this one. Completely worth adding a few extra cables to connect delays to the effects loop. Tasteful reverb, awesome implementation of master Low and High, super-functional boost, giggable output and it's super portable.

I had always heard the rumors about these amps. Now I know. And holy smokes I'm glad I found it.

Now... with the cash I saved by finding it used, let me see if I can find a used Power Engine 60... :)

davidchagrin, stax and Tony474 like this.
  10. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    UK
    I've a couple of slighty tatty TM60s I picked up cheaply used. The clean channel set to just a little break up (that can be cleaned up easily from the guitar) with boost and verb from the switch has served me well when I've wanted something unfussy and easily portable to play some bluesy funky rootsy type stuff in gig environments where levels can be quite an issue. That they can be tweaked to sound decent and fairly responsive over a wide volume range (and I guess easily put though PA if more were needed) makes them a really practical gigging amp for me. :)

Walker likes this.
  11. Hollywoodroxxx

Hollywoodroxxx TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Torquay England
    I just bought a TM 30 and a RK5 flyrig , my plan is to run the flyrig through the fx return. I notice I have to turn the level right down on the flyrig , another guy on here uses a similar setup and I wondered if this is normal. When I run the flyrig into my Marshall 8240 fx return the level is usually about noon on the omg and sansamp , but then the Marshall has a volume control on the fx loop.

I have not had much chance to try it out yet , they are both like mint condition and the reverb on the tm30 has a May 2016 date on it so I don't think it's too old , both came in original tin/ box with manuals stickers etc.

I am hoping to use it for jam nights, band situations etc , I rely on public transport so tech 21 stuff seemed ideal.

Cheers.....Paul

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Congrats! I had the TM30 for all of about 24 hours a while back...it was a used purchase but had something electrical going on with it, so I just flipped/returned it promptly. BOSS has since come out with the Katana series and I picked up a K100 - it reminds me a lot of what I liked about both the Yamaha THR10 and Trademark 10/30/60 series. So I'm happy with my amp, but I do have a soft spot for the Trademark series and think they're incredibly well-made and feature-laden amps for what they cost. Enjoy!

13. Hollywoodroxxx

Hollywoodroxxx TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Torquay England
    Well, I'm afraid I too am not happy with my tm30 , I was so looking forward to it, wanted one for years but , I am not overjoyed with the amount of noise. I love my rk5 flyrig but the tm30 will have to go back if they will take it, I bought it second hand from a retailer so if the uk rules are still what I think they are , I should have 14 days to cancel my order from the day of receipt which was Saturday . I so wanted to like it it was just what I needed at that weight with the xlr out. My other amps are so great sounding compared ( Marshall AVT20x and 8240 valvestates) the 20 is still quite heavy though . Ideally I could do with a small lightweight SS amp to use as a monitor for my flyrig and as an amp in itself. The flyrig totally rocks. Hope I can get a refund on the tm30

stax and foundjoe like this.
  14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Someone posted a while back that a Fender Mustang Cover is an exact fit for the TM60.
    Anyone know, What model Mustang that would be ?
    Thx.S

15. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I don’t know, but it should be easy enough to compare specs from the respective websites and see which Mustang model has the same dimensions. My TM60 has the original Tech 21 cover which wasn’t too costly and is of good quality.

Shango66 likes this.
  16. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 1, 2011
    Far N.E. Philadelphia
    I have TM60 - pretty well made, and the price was reasonable.

17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Waiting on the arrival of a TM60 and a PE 60 this coming week.

Owned a TM 60 about two years ago. I had issues with excessive hiss when using my pedal board in the front of the amp. I've read hours worth of discussion here and at TGP about the TM 60, and no one reports this issue (except one person, but it was with the reverb cranked) so I think it was a fluke. Worst case scenario? Use the effects loop.

I've noticed a fair percentage of users swap the speakers. The one I had previously had the Tech 21 labeled speaker. It seemed like the speaker was a weak point of the amp. Maybe that's why they started using the Celestion 70/80. Maybe not.

Anyway, I'll see what I think once they arrive. I've always found the Cannabis Rex improves *any* amp it is put in. So I'm seriously considering putting one in the TM and PE both.

I'd love to hear from other users, as well, I'll read through all twelve pages here in the TM club and see what people have to say.

18. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2010
    NY
    Here is my little Tech 21 TM-10. Poor little guy had a bad case of particle board rot when I picked him up a few years ago. Gave it a new home in a finger-jointed pine box big enough for a ten inch Weber which I covered in tweed. Mucho improvement from its former self. Tech 21-1.jpg Tech21-2.jpg Tech21-3.jpg

19. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I haven't used my TM60 for a while, but as I write I've just come in from a gig where, as I frequently do, I used my TM30 slaved up through the PA. Totally satisfactory as usual.

Nubs likes this.
  20. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The TM 10 and 30 are very different from the TM 60 from what I've read. As is the TM 120. I almost bought the 120, but decided the TM 60 and a PE 60 would be a better bet. There's hardly a bad word about the TM 60 anywhere I've read.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.