Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21 Trademark Club 10, 30, 60 +

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Steve G, Aug 26, 2009.

1. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    Has anyone with a TM60 swapped the speaker for an Eminence Lil Texas? I'm curious about how it might shape the overall tonal spectrum.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Can't tell you about that particular speaker but I've read some good reports about the Eminence Wizard in that amp. Me, I've replaced the standard Celestion G12P-80 (Seventy 80) with a G12K-100. Adds a little to the weight but the sound is improved, with stronger bottom end and smoother upper mids.

3. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    It's worth mentioning that the early versions like my one require a bit of work getting other speakers to fit as the cutout in the baffle is too small.

4. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

Jul 4, 2010
    Mobile,Alabama
    I like my TM 60(had it for years) but it always has a hum...no matter what i do.

5. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    I put an Eminence Red Coat Governor in mine. Less bright, more low end. I liked it better than the Seventy80 that was in it.

6. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    Howdy! New member and owner of a brand new Trademark 60 here. I bought this amp a couple of months ago to replace my Rivera Suprema 55, which is way too heavy for my 60 year old back to schlep around.

I played the TM60 exclusively in my living room for the first month. I was immediately blown away by the tones I could get out of this thing. I experimented with different settings, finding so many cool sounds, but I knew that when I got the amp out of my living room and into a club with the band, things would be very different. And they were.

The first gig was a little rough. I frantically tweaked until I got usable sounds, but I could not settle into my comfort zone. I knew the tones were in there, though. I just had to find 'em. The next gig, after some more adjustments, was much better. My girlfriend said I was grinning from ear to ear all night. The third gig was in a room that I knew was difficult to deal with acoustically. I was somewhat worried about that going in, so I got to the venue in the afternoon to set up early, and within ten minutes I had tamed that room. At the end of the night, one of the bartenders told me that we'd never sounded better, and I like to think that it was because of the amp.

I use the clean channel much more than the 2nd channel, but that is more a factor of the music that we play, rather than because of the sound of the 2nd channel. I play a Deluxe Nashville Tele for the most part, through an old Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal. I sometimes kick in the compressor to get a little more sustain, especially on the clean channel. The 2nd channel gives me a great clean-ish distortion by itself, but if I need more gain I kick in the BD-2 emulation on the pedal board and the amp just sings. If the distortion gets too muddy, there's a 'tone modify' selector on the pedal that I have set to boost the highs and high mids. Boom. Cuts through the mix nicely.

I have yet to fully tap into this amp's potential, but I already know that the amp is a keeper. Quite likely the last amp that I'll ever buy. Anybody wanna buy a Rivera?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    davidchagrin likes this.
  7. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Just picked this fella up yesterday!
    Pots and jacks got a quick cleaning...
    I'm very impressed!

Have any TM30 users found a suitable replacement speaker that is flat but a bit more efficient and louder?

Attached Files:

8. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    It took me a little while to make live adjustments as well. I recently used the xlr out on a gig. Imo, it sounded even better than being mic'd. The TM60 is a great gigging amp.

9. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Sure is. I used the XLR out of mine some time ago at a big outdoor gig or two and it worked a treat. In fact I usually take a line out of either my TM60 or my Roland Cube to the PA on most gigs - not so much for volume, of which both amps have plenty for most gigs I do, but for spread, so that the sound is much the same wherever in the room the listener is located.

As it happens I've just "won" a TM30 on eBay. I know it's not very loud by itself but with the XLR out to the PA that shouldn't matter. Once I've received it and tried it on a gig I'll report further.

davidchagrin likes this.
  10. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Well, the amp duly arrived, in virtually brand-new condition complete with a basic but nice dust-cover. I got it for well under half the cost of a new, shop-bought one. Here we are a couple of months on and I've been gigging the TM30 regularly in that time. It's bloody great!

I did have a problem to begin with in that the amp suffered from volume drop-out. However, with the knowledge gained from this forum I first tried a patch lead from the effects-loop send to return sockets and then followed up with contact cleaner and rapid repeated insertion/withdrawal of a jack plug (oo er missus) and that seems to have cured the problem. I keep the patch lead handy, just in case, but haven't yet needed to use it again. In fact I wonder whether the previous owner, not realising how fixable it is, might have sold the amp just because of that well-known (but not, apparently, by him) fault.

Anyway, as I suspected the TM30, with its seemingly inefficient and fairly weedy 10" speaker, is by itself conspicuously lacking in sufficient clean headroom for normal gigging purposes - a task for which, fair enough, it wasn't really designed in the first place. However, use the XLR Out into the PA and the whole scene changes. It took a little while to get the EQ and speaker emulation settings to how I like them, but it works an absolute treat. At first it was a little strange not really hearing my guitar sound coming from an amp behind me during a gig, but I've now grown used to hearing it in the monitor instead. A side-benefit is that it's now easier to set the volume balance between guitar and voice.

Altogether I'm delighted with the TM30 - it's small, light, sounds excellent... What's not to like? I won't be selling my Cube 60, TM60 or any other of my several million amps just yet, but I'm extremely glad I added this one to my armoury.

Tommy Biggs and RyCo1983 like this.
  11. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Great to hear! My TM30 is my primary practice amp. I want to play it out a bit at some point though!
    I do plan on a speaker replacement at some point.

12. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I've had a good look but there doesn't seem to be a suitable replacement in 4 ohms that will fit in the cabinet. It's not a major problem for me; the stock speaker is OK for indoor use and is largely redundant and therefore irrelevant when the amp's slaved up on a gig.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  13. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I don't need to swap it either. But I have a hard time not modding everything that I buy!

Tony474 likes this.
  14. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    :D

15. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My wife was having a yard sale recently and I couldn't help with the pricing, so I got on CL and looked at yard sales in my area. There was one about 4 blocks away that listed a guitar amp. I got there and was shocked to see this Trademark 10 in almost new condition. I asked the guy how much and when he said $15, I nearly tore the back pocket off my jeans trying to get out my wallet. I use it almost daily for my headphone practice. Great sounding little amp and super portable.

2015-08-15 11.07.05.jpg

16. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    I took my TM10 to a Traynor YCV40 fight. At certain moments, I got the distinct impression that if I pulled on my guitar cord, there would have been no amp at the end of it. Other than that, it was a fine amp. I sold it to a jazz player who plays background while people drink booze.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Wow! Let's put it this way...if I already owned FOUR TM10's and I came across that deal, I'd pull the trigger just as fast. Haha.

The Trademark series continues to fascinate me - I bought a used TM30 and had it very briefly. It had some type of electrical short or problem with it, and rather than risk sorting it out, I returned it hoping to find another one. So not TM's currently in my collection.

The reason I still want either a TM10 or TM30 is that they have an insane amount of features in a size of amp that usually cuts those features out. It's hard enough to an FX loop on any affordable 8" or 10" combo - both of these offer that, plus a direct out, headphone jack, and reverb tank! That's amazing to me.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  18. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Plus it was made in USA! How did they do it?

19. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Extremely well, it would seem...

20. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    What's a good replacement speaker for a TM30? Mine is sounding awful muddy & I could use something that can take the volume this amp produces. I play mostly classic rock & blues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.