Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 Owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by tonyp145, Dec 6, 2014.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I've used mine on a ukulele. Great sounds from the reverb (more 'verb, less gain) and delay. Tricky to get a good, usable tone from the Plexi.

2. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2016
    New Florence, Pa.
    greetings,
    yes, i've used it with an acoustic guitar.
    fender CD 60-CE. it is just as expected. amazing. the drive is nice as well. people talk about fiz on the acoustic piazo pickups but the trick is to turn the high end on the guitar down to flat and let the pedal do the equalization.
    i ran a few different guitars into the pedal today just to see the differences in how the pickups responded to a particular setting on the fly rig 5 and the results are pretty impressive.
    compairison between the first act, sx furrian rnsssbsb, and the fender cd 60 CE running into the fly rig 5. https://t.co/41A4viaUTT
    hope it helps.

shalom

3. Vlad

Vlad NEW MEMBER!

May 22, 2009
    Moscow, Russia
    Just played with my lapsteel and a mandolin plugged in to Line6 M9=>FlyRig6 yesterday )) Sounds GREAT!;)

4. tjnugent

tjnugent Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Ridge, TN
    I use the RK5 and love it, but I would like to turn off the Sans Amp feature and use a better pedal. Is speaker emulation turned off when the Sans Amp is off? That is what I am thinking, but I would like to confirm this. I don't think the OMG section has a speaker IR built into it. Can anyone answer this?

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

I've had one for a few weeks now, but I haven't used it on a gig yet. I bought it for fly-in gigs after getting fed up with having to travel with a pedal board, and I'll be using it live for the first time this weekend in Florida. I'm looking forward to having a compact rig that will do a few things well instead of doing a lot of things just okay.

I play in a tribute band that requires me to go from clean jazz tones to jangle to a pretty hot country type tone. I use straight amp tone for cleans, the SansAmp for an overall brighter tone with a little breakup, the boost on top of that for some solos and louder rhythm parts, and the Plexi for a thick solo tone. Sounds good on paper (and in my office). I'll see how it works this weekend.

I was surprised to discover that where it really shines is for recording. I just finished a bunch of new songs, and the Fly Rig is a pretty easy way to work up some good sounding tracks in a hurry. I even used the SansAmp on bass tracks. It really brings the bass tone to life.

I'm really happy with this thing, and I haven't even used it for what I bought it for yet.

- D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

Update after the gigs...

I think I've found a better way to use this thing than I'd originally planned.

I was using the SansAmp as the primary tone with the boost and Plexi sections as different types of boost for solos, but I wasn't entirely happy with the SansAmp tone. It just sounded a little fake, and I couldn't get the right amount of gain for the primary tone.

After messing with it at sound check, I switched it up and started using the Plexi section (with minimal gain and the tone dialed back) as the primary tone. Plexi + Hot gave me a bit more push for solos, and then adding the SansAmp on top of the Plexi gave me the ability to tune in more sustain and gain, with the added flexibility of the tone controls and the SansAmp drive for more of a singing sustain. Hitting all three results in a tone that sustains, with a little bit more 'hot' on top.

This worked really well for what I was playing. I was also able to tweak the delay to get it to sound really chorus-y, which will free up the modulation section on my amp (Mustang III) for a different mod effect. Cool.

- D

7. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

In.

[​IMG]

I only record/play for my own enjoyment, found the tech 21 does sound more amp like into the DAW. I was going direct and using the DAW software only before the purchase. Impressed so far it appears to be a really great product, got this Cali version on Amazon for just over $200 new. It comes in a nice tin box. Good to know when I step away from the office my tone can go with me in such a small package :)

SolidSteak and Chunkocaster like this.

8. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2009
    Okinawa, Japan
    Love my FlyRig. I use it all the time for recording and live playing where an amp isn't available or practical. In a word, it is very consistent. Built like a tank and no worries.

Chunkocaster likes this.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Nice score at that price. I'm waiting on delivery of a used rk5 version. I planned a small pedalboard around the flyrig and am thinking of putting a ep booster after the flyrig because it does nice things to my amp. Have you tried running other pedals with yours?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

10. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

@Chunkocasster

Yup, $214 was a good price and it was brand new. Lots for sale on Reverb too, I think I might get the Plexi one also.

As you probably know the fly rig has a boost (21db) built in that is independent of the dirt section effect, you might not need a boost after.

As for adding other pedals I only have a tuner, looper and EQ right now. There is no 'effect' loop input for outside pedals but internally the onboard verb and delay is mixed in parallel.

Here's the manual below with the signal chain :

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I've used a silicon Fuzz Face in front of the Flyrig 5 (i.e. before the input) and it worked great. Also tried a Dano Spring King in front of the input and it reacts the same way reverb does into the input of any amp: the verb gets messy when I enable the drive section, but sometimes that's the effect I'm going for. Sometimes I get really crazy and do Dano Spring --> FF --> Flyrig. That gets out of control in a cool way, since the verb signal is getting so distorted. Very adjustable with the guitar's volume knob too... one of the great things I love about the Flyrig.

I think overall the Flyrigs were designed to have effects in front of them, but I guess you never know until you try!

Chunkocaster likes this.

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Thanks for posting that. It will come in handy.

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I'd like a fuzz, octave and phaser in front too at certain times. I read somewhere that some have probs with certain pedals running after the flyrig. As you say I will have to just experiment. If all works it should make for a small in size but very feature packed pedalboard.

SolidSteak likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.