Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 Owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by tonyp145, Dec 6, 2014.

1. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    I've had mine a few weeks now, used it for a couple of rehearsals and a gig and I just love it. Works great through an amp or direct to PA. I like to keep the Sans Amp section pretty clean (drive about 12:00 with low output pickups) and just a bit of reverb. Then I set the delay for slap, sometimes I'll tap tempo depending on what the song needs. I don't use the Plexi much but I copped a pretty good Santana tone this afternoon with the tone set about a third up and the drive dimed on the neck pick-up of my Albert Lee MM90.

Anyway I play a lot of jazz, blues and 50s rock/rockabilly -- all mostly clean. But I like a hint of breakup and that can be hard to achieve with a tube amp without turning up louder than is practical for me. The Fly Rig gets me there every time, no sweat. It sounds fine through my Bose L1 Compact, but even better with my BF Fender Vibrolux.

So I hope to hear how other people are using theirs and how they like it. Is it an integral part of your sound or just a backup to your pedal board? Be cool to hear about the new RK model too. Haven't seen a lot of info about those yet.

2. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    Now live I use exclusively my flyrig5. I just wait that the rk5 will be available and I will buy it

3. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    (Covering my ears and yelling "la-la-la-la" at the top of my voice) -- I don't want to hear about the RK5, I have enough GAS as it is!!!

(however for the purposes of this thread it would be impolite of me not to invite those with experience to share! ;-)

Glad you're enjoying your FR5 Shanghai. What's the rest of your rig? Are you running direct to PA or using the FR5 in front of an amp?

I'm actually appreciating the simplicity of it, after having gone through way too many multi-fx in recent years -- most of which were overkill in terms of options and underwhelming in terms of tone.

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to hearing from other owners.

4. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I've had the FlyRig 5 a few months now and I love it. Live, I've used it going straight into a Fender '65 Princeton Reverb. With the Princeton I set the Sans Amp EQ flat, and use the Princeton's EQ controls. I do however use the reverb on the Sans Amp as sometimes the amp's reverb can be either too much or not enough.....depends on the tune at the time. Using the Sans Amp's reverb is just easier. I also use the drive on the Sans Amp and the Hot Button to push the front end of the Princeton when required.

I have also used the FlyRig straight into the effects loop return of an Engl Screamer combo....so I'm only really using the power tubes and speaker. In this case the Flyrig is doing everything, and all the features are getting used at some point. With the delay, I usually tap the tempo in as the drummer counts the song in, and engage it when required. I keep the drift control at about 1 o'clock. That what, when I sustain chords with the delay on it can do it's chorus thing. Every time the Flyrig gets a great tone. So easy to set up and tweak. I've even used it through a Boss DI Box and into a desk for recording. Again, great results.

Right now, my "pedalboard" (which is really just some thick cardboard covered in gaffa tape, with some velcro stuck to it) consists of the FlyRig 5 and a Korg Pitchblack Tuner.....that's it, throw it in my bag and go. With the FlyRig I know never have to worry about what amp I'm using, as I know it will get me a great tone. I also don't need to worry about taking a backup amp as I know that in the worst case I can always go direct into the P.A and get it back through the monitors - I carry one of those new Fender Micro D.I boxes incase I have to go the XLR route.....Great piece of gear!!

5. rickslick11

rickslick11 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2011
    FL
    Does this color your amps clean tone at all when you have the sans amp on?

6. rickslick11

rickslick11 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2011
    FL
    Does it color your amps sound when using the sans amp on the clean Chanel of a combo amp? I would like to use it for reverb only but you have to engage the complete channel.

7. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    It does, it sounds good, I'd put this in front of a clean Fender any day, but it's definitely going to color the sound. There are better choices if you just want digital reverb in front of your amp (or better yet in the FX loop).

8. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    Hey Tony

I use my flyrig or direct to the PA or in the input of the amp in the rehearsal room. Both situations I get vey good results.

Fly rig is my minimalistic and most practical rig.

I use also a boss gt100 with in its loop a tech 21 blonde or British or Liverpool according to the tone i want to get.

I use a tech21 power engine or a laney irt-x to amplify them.

I love tech21 products

9. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have been considering "simplifying" to a FR5. My present rig is direct-only consisting of a Boss pedal tuner > Fulldrive II > Tech 21 Leeds > Boss DD 7 > Boss FRV 1. I love the sound, but I am having frequent "partial loss of signal" events due to a loose connection that I cannot locate. Every time it happens, I start wiggling wires and it goes away before I can find it. I have had problems with the DD 7 in this regard, but I think this one is elsewhere.
    Long story short..... I think the Fly Rig can give me what I need in a really neat package....... The only problem is, The Fly Rig will have a tough job beating the sound of that Fulldrive into the Leeds..... It is just magic.

10. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Used my FlyRig 5 at jazz band rehearsal last night and it solved a couple of problems for me. I play a Guild hollow body guitar through a Quilter MicroPro 200, which is a great amp and works really well for giving me a nice, thick but clean jazz tone. Unfortunately we also do a lot of funk and rock. I could take my solid body guitar, but I haul enough equipment to these rehearsals as it is (I'm the bandleader).

So I tried putting the FR5 in front of the MP200 and darned if that didn't work perfectly! I had it completely bypassed for the old standards like Misty and Someone to Watch Over Me, but then kicked in the SansAmp module for the rock and funk tunes, switched from the neck position to the middle on my Starfire and it cut a lot of the midrange and bass and boosted the top end. So I mostly used it as an EQ, I didn't have the drive up very high, but there was definitely a black-face Fender type of vibe to it (I also use the BF preamp setting on the Quilter.)

I also used the OD module (forget what it's called now) for my solo on Evil Ways to cop a Santana vibe. And I used the boost on my solos through the evening pretty much regardless of style. I didn't use the delay (though I might try it sometime) or the reverb because the Quilter already has a really nice reverb, but the FR5 seems like a really good match to this amp for what I'm doing anyway. Can't believe I didn't try this sooner. Just wanted to share that.

11. EllaMir

EllaMir TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2015
    New York
    Been using my Fly Rig 5 for about 3 months now. I have to say after messing around with a lot of multi effects pedals and rack gear, it's right on the money. No issues with tone whatsoever. So easy to dial in and it fits right in the case with my guitar.

I've been demoing for a new album and running the Fly Rig direct in. Spot on. Couldn't be happier with this pedal.

I'm running a Nashville MIM Tele through a Korg Pitch Black to the Fly Rig then an Echolution and out to a Fender Excelsior. I couldn't ask for more. This is definitely my "don't leave home without it" pedal.

12. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I get mine tomorrow. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait!

13. GtrGeor

GtrGeor TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2011
    huntington,NY
    I love my FlyRig5. It's really a properly -done device. It isn't the RK model (that has all the same stuff..except the Plexi is more modern sounding..sort of like a Engel distortion going on there..)
    But I do wish they had done one or 2 things different.
    Wish list: A loop out, post distortion (for a tuner or harmonizer)
    and the power jack is RIGHT NEXT to the 1/4 output..this mean you really shouldn't use a 90 degree jack there..if you do..you risk having the jack turn and break the power off....maybe permanently.(yikes!!!!!!)
    I love the sound. I think they have nailed it...and I am VERY picky about a good guitar tone.
    But a slight tweak here and there..and the FLYRig will be LEGEND.
    May I also suggest an actual boost to the boost/Dla???? The boost on the plexi is really more of a "increase distortion, increase noise" feature....which is not always what I need. Just saying.
    ....ah maybe I ask to much.
    But I would pay $300 for a new unit with these features.
    GtrGeorge
    PS: If anyone has a better suggestion that the Tech 21 FlyRig..please SPEAK UP!

14. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Count me in. Love it!

15. Rublalup

Rublalup Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2015
    Colombia
    I love my RK5... Couldn't bond with the plexi OD, but the OMG is great.

Great tone and feel

16. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    Any thoughts on getting Robben Ford type sounds with this device?

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    It's just like getting to Carnegie Hall.

Practice, practice, practice.

18. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    ^^^
    There's always one...

19. Walstafa

Walstafa TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I love my Flyrig for home practice. If it only had a power out to run a tuner, I'd be happy to use it in my band.

20. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    Have any of the Fly Rig owners here used it with an acoustic guitar?.... Piezo or magnetic pick-up?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.