Tech 21 Blonde report

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Charlie Bernstein, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Just gigged through a Sansamp Blonde last night: Tele > reverb pedal > Blonde > passive DI > PA.

Clean, it worked great - meaty, tubular, Fenderous sound. The drive knob didn't do much I needed, but since I don't usually want fuzz, that's no loss. Others might like it.

Bottom line: it's a keeper.

Nick-O, Alter, Fhede and 2 others like this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

What settings did you use?

I use the Bassman settings on my Joyo American sound which is a clone of the blondie and it sounds great!

Fhede and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. These are impressive pedals. I had the Sansamp California for a long time. Enjoy.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Pleased it is working for you. I do the same with my Joyo American Sound for most rehearsals and the occasional gig. Have always been happy with the results.

5. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Had the orginal blond 21...now i have yojo american sound. That yojo is my favorite pedal.

Fhede, hdvades and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  6. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I've got an American Sound and have played thru a Tech 21 at volume.
    To me the Blonde sounded smoother, fuller with way less hiss.
    The AS is good for the $ though.

7. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I always dig into these threads with great interest. I love, love Tech 21 gear because of how it just CUTS through the mix; playing solo in the living room at times doesn't do their stuff justice. No hiding here, I'm a fan.

That said, I always seem to struggle a bit with my Trademark 60. It's been a workhorse for me and a great pedal platform. But the odd approach to EQ doesn't always produce the best results. The TM60's larger brother the Trademark 120 has traditional Bass, Mid, and Treble controls, and I think the TM60 should have had this from the get-go.

Channel 1 of the TM60 is likely a predecessor in a way to Tech 21's Blonde, and with the price of FRFR speakers coming down below $500 (or less in the case of Headrush's 1x8 monster), I'm loving the idea of downsizing even further and am always encouraged when I hear about a positive real-world experience.

Thanks for sharing, @Charlie Bernstein! Happy pickin'!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  8. Charlie Bernstein

Just used it for a few tunes, so I still have more experimenting to do. Started with everything at noon, ended with the level knob at about two o'clock and the drive knob at about eight o'clock.

The guy I play with has been using the Joyo for about a year, and it sounds good, too.

What's the Bassman setting? I'll try it.

9. Charlie Bernstein

I kind of figured that might be, which is one reason I got the Blonde. There's also an article somewhere that recommends running it through a passive DI and using and XLR cable, so I did.

Didn't hear any hum or crackle, so something must be working right.

rogb likes this.
  10. Charlie Bernstein

That's what I was hoping for.

I was a little concerned, because I took it to a garage jam last month and it didn't really cooperate with the PA. Got lost. But it was an odd situation, six guys in a circle. Not much of a test drive.

The gig Friday night was mostly acoustic, so it seemed like a good time to try spring it on an audience. (Around here, pub audiences are the world's most forgiving people.)

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I always play my acoustic thru active DI>XLR>PA so maybe I should try my electric>pedalboard>PA that way too (even though it sounds great) ! Maybe the AS will be better via DI>XLR too?
    I'll give it a go, good tip, thanks.

12. Charlie Bernstein

That was what the article suggested. Haven't tried it both ways, so I can't give you a comparison.

One note: most folks say to use a passive DI for electric, because there's already a preamp (e.g. the Blonde) and an active DI if it's an unpowered acoustic instrument.

Radial's passive DIs get good reviews. I splurged and got their JDI.

13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Glad it worked out! I'm a big Tech 21 fan. I don't have the Blonde (I have the cheaper Joyo copy) but I have a Flyrig and a bass Sansamp VT. I usually run them into a clean guitar amp, and I've never gigged with them, but I know they can do the job right into the PA.

14. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I, too, am a big Tech 21 fan. I had quite a few of their pedals and ended up with a Flyrig RK 5 and went direct to the PA. The other guitarist in the band bought a Flyrig Plexi, so the mix between the two was pretty awesome. Both cut through just fine, and both had individual tonal coloration and could be heard clearly out front.

The RK is also really good through an amp. I played a jam last week and put the Flyrig in front of my Tweed Deluxe clone and it sounded glorious!

bsman and SolidSteak like this.
  15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Have you tried it without the passive DI?

16. Charlie Bernstein

Nope. At least not with a PA. Might have plugged it into my old Pro Junior once. If I did, it probably didn't do much that my overdrive pedals can't do.

But I'm always battling stray noise, so reading that it would help keep the sound clean seemed like a good idea. Let's see if I can find the article that recommended using a DI . . . .

No dice. Googled around for a few minutes and couldn't find it. It was a review written by a guitarist for a music gear magazine. Oh, well.

I did run into another article that mentioned its "buttery lead tone," and it does, indeed, shoot your cholesterol levels through the roof.

scelestus likes this.
  17. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Thanks for that info. I remember reading (and I really think it was a Tech21 thing that said it) that you don't need a DI for them. I have three (a Blonde, a British, and a VT Bass) that I run into the board for recording with no problem. However, followup discussions with Tech21 reps on boards have told me the output is unbalanced. On top of that, they released a fancier VT Bass with a built-in DI/XLR out, which seems like it wouldn't be necessary if the regular output was fine to use.

So I've heard conflicting info, but never experienced any problems either way.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Yeah, it's probably fine without a DI. The guy I play with doesn't use one. I just figured, wotthell, in for a penny . . . .

scelestus likes this.
  19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Here's a few settings to try out!

http://www.tech21nyc.com/t21manuals/SansAmp_Blonde_Deluxe_Presets.pdf

20. Charlie Bernstein

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.