Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21, are they discontinuing the Trademark 60?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cmm71, Aug 29, 2017.

1. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Hey All...it's in the title. The online vendors seemed to all be out of stock, even Amazon doesn't have any. What gives? Anybody here have any insight? I can email the company but this forum's usually effective. Thanks

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    I can email the company but this forum's usually effective. Thanks

Discontinued

RyCo1983 likes this.

3. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Awwww shucks. That was a cool amp. Unfortunately, I never need more than a couple at a time, but if I had a seperate house to store gear in and the budget to buy everything that catches my fancy, I'd definitely have one!

I actually borrowed one at a low-key Craigslist meet-up, and I liked it quite a bit.

4. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Tech 21 has not updated that amp since they introduced it, what, 30 years ago? It's time to discontinue it. If they choose to make any more amps, they should make something completely new that uses their newer circuits, which sound far better to my ear than what they had in the Trademark amps.

5. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    I emailed the company. The Trademark 60 is currently out of production...he was uncertain if it would return. I like the Trademark 60, it was the best deal going in solid state.

RyCo1983 likes this.

6. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Yup. She done for now. I mentioned it in an SS amp thread in April after an email exchange.

7. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    I had one, and would still if I needed a 60 watt amp. I still have a trademark 10, but it's pretty much been relegated to backup status because of small tube amps.

8. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

I'm gonna have to take better are of mine. Its a great amp.

9. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

Why update it. They got great sound. I wouldn't want to see them try and push a digital version. Just because its not a tube amp, newer doesn't necessarily mean better. I'll just take better care of mine.

Felino, Tony474 and SolidSteak like this.

10. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Does this mean Tech 21 is no longer making guitar combo amps at all?

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I hope they can keep making some kind of combo...

12. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 31, 2007
    Hungary
    They still make the TM 30.
    And the Power Engine 60, which is prectically the TM60 without the preamp is still in production.

I just posted my TM60 on a local trading site, and when I linked the official site I noticed that they don't make it anymore. It is not included in their 2017 catalogue. I try to sell mine, 'cause it is way to big for appartment use, and I think it sounds best when it moves some air, but at that stage is mostly untollarable for the neighbours.
    I just ran into a mint condition TM10 a few days ago, and it is more convenient at home both size and volume-wise.

I guess if you pair their newish fly rig 5 series with a PE60 you pretty much are in the same leauge with the TM60. Two channels with boost plus a delay that does pseudo chorus as well, same size, same cabinet. About the same price I presume, but I might be wrong on that, I haven't checked. But sure in the ballpark.

13. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I'm very sorry to hear that they've discontinued the TM60. I've been very happy with mine, although it is equalled in my affections by my original Roland BC-60 Blues Cube 1x12. Both amps sound excellent, though each with its own distinct character. That said, recently I've far more often been using my TM30 slaved up through the PA for the sake of convenience due to its tiny size and light weight.

My guess is that Roland's new series of Blues Cube amps has been making inroads into sales of the TM60, or maybe it's just become too expensive to produce at a competitive retail price.

Perhaps the discontinuance will result in higher used values for existing examples. Or maybe not. We'll see...

Jim622 likes this.

14. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i had a tm60 and while i thought it sounded great, i did not care for the interactive nature of the eq and how guitar volume affected that eq. controls were just too touchy and temperamental for me.

15. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I too thought there was a bit of a learning curve to set up your sound. But it sounds great when you get it right. I hope they come up with a similar amp with higher wattage. I'm afraid my Peavey Special 130 won't last forever (or maybe it will).

16. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

My experience is that it goes beyond a learning curve and becomes a never ending knob turning exercise

17. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Tech 21 makes good stuff!

Doug 54 likes this.

18. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    The interactive TM60 controls??

Gdness, no hassle. Find what u like and stay there!!

Tony474 likes this.

19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    One of the first things I discovered when I got my TM60 a long time ago was that I had little or no use for the second channel, since it's extremely rare that I play any (so-called) "music" requiring the kind of sounds it provides. I set it for a particular generic tonality of my choosing and immediately thereafter proceeded to ignore it in perpetuity.

The first channel can be tricky until you're used to it, but therein lies the real versatility of the amp. A very little adjustment goes a very long way and tweaking the controls with sublety pays dividends. If I have one criticism it's that the difference between the on and off positions of the "Bite" control (i.e. bright switch) is a bit too great, but that can be compensated for. The real secret is in getting the best out of the "Punch" pot to suit each individual guitar and room. I sussed it and it makes me happy.

Doug 54 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.