Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tech 21 Acoustic DI-Thoughts & questions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Brad, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Brad

Brad Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I recently picked up a used ( thanks Paul! ) Sansamp Acoustic DI from the garage sale. I bought it with the intention of using it for a few live gigs ( duo ) I'll be doing with a singer/songwriter buddy of mine. While playing around with it, I came across the sample settings in the manual. I followed one for electric. I plugged my tele into it and then ran the output into the effects return ( as recommended by the manual to bypass the pre-amp tone controls ) on my Roland Blues Cube. The setting is labled as "semi-dirty". The resulting tone is very, very cool. With some reverb and a touch of delay, it's very close to the Robbin Ford / Stevie Ray / Hendrix clean/ dirty rythm tone....think Riviera Paradise, Little Wing, Lenny. Very bluesy. Sweet yet spanky. Dig in a bit harder on the strings and it get's a cool, compressed, edgier tone. This may be old news to all of the sansamp users out there, but since I have never used ( let alone tried ) one before, and was very pleasantly surprised. Have you sansamp users out there had similar experiences? What settings do you like? Do you run it straight into the amp/board or use the effects loop? I ask because I seldom hear mention of the the tech 21 products here, other than the occasional Trademark 10. I've always been interested in the Trademark 60 and the sansamp PSA as the reviews are pretty much thumbs up. What do my TDRI brethren think about these products?? Good, bad, indifferent? Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Hey Brad, I've never tried it with electrics, that's food for thought. The Sansamp's been a mainstay on my little acoustic-electric board for a few years now, and I'm really happy with it. I run an XLR from a Mackie 808S powered mixer to the Sansamp, on to a couple of stompboxes, then on to my Larrivee D-03 w/ Fishman pickup. I mostly use it as a straight DI, but the EQ options on the pedal have come in handy a few times for some weird sounding rooms. I ran a few times through an L.R. Baggs DI ( which has a better reputation), but I liked my signal better through the little Sansamp. Seemed to have more presence and balls. I think it's a great little box. BTW, I misplaced my manual quite a while ago, wish I could find it!

3. Brad

Brad Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    sansamp DI

Hey Tim, email me your address and I'll copy off the manual and send it to you. I have an early 80's Larrivee L-09 and I can't wait to try it with the sansamp. I have a Fishman Rare Earth Hummer in it now. I was planning on getting an I-Beam or KKK Trinity, but found a new in box Rare Earth for $40 at a pawn shop and could not pass it up. It sounds pretty darn good. More of an electric- acoustic sound than a true mic'd or piezo acoustic sound, but for as little as I play it plugged in....it works just fine for me. My buddy who plays acoustic at church uses the LR Baggs Para Di with excellent results. He also plugs his James Burton Tele & effects into it and goes direct. Sounds OK, but a bit sterile for my tastes. That is why I was so happy with the sansamp. Running electric direct ( or into an amp ) with the sansamp Acoustic DI seems to give me more juicy tone options. The setting I used from the manual was a knock out! I've been searching for that tone for years. Of course, I realize I was never going to find "the tone" with the solid state amp I have, but I always hoped! Anyway, give it a try with your electric. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Much obliged, Brad!

Having the manual is always a plus, so I really appreciate it. Still waiting for some "volume clearance" around here so I can check it with electrics... Thanks again.

5. PaulR

PaulR Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Tahkoma
    Good Sounds

Hey Brad, glad you're liken' the Acoustic DI. I never even tried running an electric through it. I ran across an LR Baggs Parametric Acoustic DI for a good price but I haven't tried it yet. By the way, it's K&K Trinity (not KKK). I have dealt with that company--very fine folks, Karla and Dieter down in Coos Bay. I have a Pure Western setup in my acoustic and I am extremely happy with it.

Hope to run into you again sometime down at Guitar Maniacs!

6. Brad

Brad Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Good Sounds

Hey Paul, yes...I am enjoying it. A great little unit ( imo ) that seems to have more uses than just acoustic. Thanks again for the great deal Paul...and thanks for the correction on the K&K ( not KKK ) Trinity. I've heard great things about the K&K pickups. I know you thought very highly of it when we spoke. Take care Paul. I'll look forward to my next purchase from you!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.