Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Teach me on Taylor guitars

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Vladimir, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Now that we've schooled Vladimir on Taylors.... guess I'll go play the Tele.

2. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I think I might do the same ;)

3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Wow the Tele seems bright!!

Obsessed, moosie and Bruxist like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

May 2, 2008
    san diego
    I've been playing a lot of acoustics recently looking to buy something special. I bounce between the taylor martin level then keep going back to look at alvarez, tak, Yamaha and epi. So far those $1k+ guitars play and especially sound better to me. Haven't had a chance to try an epi masterbuilt recently but I did 2 years ago and wasn't impressed at all. I'm a budget buyer and play johnson, squire, sx and agile electrics but I can't find anything close to equivalent in acoustics. I grew up with a sigma martin copy I still have. So I'm used to the bigger boomier bass and gravitated towards martin but more recently I am liking the lighter airier taylor tone. It seems martin is making a line more taylor sounding/feeling. So far I keep coming back to Martin Performing Artist Series Custom DCPA4 Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar Rosewood. This guitar really impresses me. Its $1500 but is truly superior in comparison. Brighter than most martins. Also solid wood compared to taylor
    It takes a 410e-r at $2k to match the basic specs to the martin still not with actual rosewood.

I've tried breedloves in the 6-700 range and a few others up there too but I don't think they sound as good. I do like the playability and tone of the lower end taylors also but its tough to still pay near 1k for a plywood guitar.
    Once I get very good at telling what I like and solidify my testing I may be able to save a few bucks and buy used but its tough because I have so built my ear on cheap guitars I can actually like many of their tones. But side by side I can really hear the richness once I hit the $1 to $1.5k range.

6. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I worked for Gibson in the late 90s. Their acoustics are (most of the time) pretty legit. Well balanced, tonally, and real players. I don't know that the price is worth it or not, but they are pretty nice guitars. I've yet to play a Taylor that wowed me in any way.

tery likes this.
  7. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yes I agree - but it is not reasonable to compare a $4 or 6 Hundred dollar guitar to a $4 or 6 Thousand dollar guitar .

TMMC likes this.
  8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Vladimir, you specified finger picking, so I'd recommend you check out online what guitars Finger Pickers play and the fingerpicking guitars they win at the International Fingerpicking Contest in Winfield Kansas.

9. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Hey, checked out the festival, there sure is some mighty good music going on there!

It seems that from all the fingerpicking-friendly guitars out there, Taylors are the only ones available to me locally.
    Someone mentioned Matons, they're sold here, and if they're too bright, that might just be what I'm looking for. They sure sound good in Tommy Emmauel's hands.

Mind you, bright sounds to me where more a matter of playing closer to the bridge.
    What I would also like is a loud low E string when I thumb slap it.

10. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    There's an Acoustic Guitar Buyers Guide on the Taylor site, using it might steer you to some models you are not aware of for the purpose you intend.

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    In 1999 Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars was aggravated by the Bluegrass Pickers steadfast loyalty to Martins. So he went to his ciustom shop and they built an 810C for flat picking. In Sept 99 he got in the company plane with this guitar and flew to the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield Kansas. The home of the National Flatpicking Contest. This guitar was there with the many other guitars for sale. I played it, liked it, and bought it. They wouldn't let me take till the festival was over, so I'd go by and play it a couple times per day.

12. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    Neptune NJ
    Really like my Taylor nylon. I use it on all my solo acoustic gigs as it has a really full, deep range and fills the room better than a steel string acoustic, finger picking or strumming.

moosie and NashvilleDeluxe like this.
  13. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    The Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield Kansas was started by Mossman Guitars. Mossman guitars came on the scene and was making better quality guitars than Martin and Gibson. But a fire in their factory burnt up their Brazilian rosewood supply (fake news says Martin started the fire ) and a climate control issue at a guitar storage facility ruined a large batch of their guitars, putting them out of business. These ruined guitars wi

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1922/mossman-guitars/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Doug 54 likes this.
  14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    What is the name of this nylon string model?

15. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Excellent playing! If only classical guitar training in my youth hadn't put me off nylon strings.;)

Marc Muller likes this.
  16. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    I don't know if I've got bad hearing or maybe I'm tone deaf. I was killing some time at a GC today and played two Taylors. A 414ce rosewood and a 114. I honestly could not tell that much difference in their tone, projection and playability. The big difference was the price with the 414ce costing 3x more. Has anyone else had this experience?

Chester Burnett likes this.
  17. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    The 400 series never impressed me. One upside to their consistent manufacturing is that their low end guitars look and sound very good. They're an exceptional value. The 300's are worth it to some people to have a solid wood guitar. To me the 400 series is a harder upgrade to justify unless you're really drawn to it. The 700 and 800 are the regular production ones that really grab me. All of the Limited Edition guitars I've had a chance to play have been great. There is a certain sound that most Taylor guitars have in common but I certainly hear differences as the you climb the ladder and there are some gorgeous tones in there.

I think the line is definitely worth exploring. Then there's always the thousand other companies that make acoustics. :)

mtown and Obsessed like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    This is kind of where I am with Taylor's, but it reminds me of whenever my wife hears me play a Taylor, she loves the sound from a distance. There is something special about the voicing, but I just don't have a good feel for it.

moosie likes this.
  19. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    My wife on the other hand loves the sound of an Ovation, which I find way to bright. I can get that sound when I plug the Takamine in to the Ibanez Troubadour and turn up the treble.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. jman72

jman72 Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    So true. When I entered the acoustic market in 2000, I played Martins and Larrivees. I loved the brighter Larrivees and absolutely HATED the boomy Martins. I was into rock and fusion, so articulation was my thing (and the Martins weren't that to me). I'd never heard of Taylor when I went into a room at Mars music and played everything they had and walked out with a 414ce. The neck was amazing, it had built-in electronics, and sounded great. For $1500 it was the best of everything I could ask for.

Fast forward 15 years, I was now into bluegrass and Americana and playing with my buddy who owns an awesome HD-28. It was such a great guitar that I seriously started looking to sell my Taylor and get a D-28. One day we were playing and I went into the next room to get something, and I just sat and listened to him play for a minute. Man, that Martin sounded SO GOOD! I started wanting a Martin SO BAD- it put mine to shame! I just had to have that sound that he was making. Well, I walked back into the room and he was playing MY TAYLOR!! I was floored. It sounded so much bigger and open from afar-so different from what I was hearing up close. That killed my GAS for the Martin and I've been happy ever since.

It's just funny how on this forum we spend every day talking about how you need a Tele, a Strat, an LP, etc. They all sound different but not necessarily BETTER. Heck, most people here have multiple TELEs! Why so much hate on a particular brand of acoustics? Buy them if you like them, or not. I love mine.

Obsessed likes this.
  21. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    I agree w/ you on old Guilds - as well as good quality acoustics being expensive. I think you're a bit off on the $2.5k-$3k thing (unless you meant new MSRP).

There's a Guild DV52 on Reverb right now for $1.2k, and that's a great guitar. I've seen plenty of used D40s & D50s being sold for less than $1k.

The deals are out there, it's just having the patience to wait and the cash on hand then they come up. To my way of thinking there ain't a better deal in used acoustic guitars than a used Guild. At least no deal that you can find regularly. Not everyone is lucky enough to stumble into a used Martin D28 that a spurned lover is selling for $50 & a bag of corn chips.

Flakey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.