Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

TBX and other diversions

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dilver, Mar 25, 2012.

1. dilver

dilver Tele-Meister

I've decided that Teles by design are simple instruments and over-complicating them with too many options are just not for me. After trying push-pull pots for series/parallel, TBX with a variety of capacitor and transistor schemes (Doc's mod, Phostenix, and all the mods recently in Premier Guitar), I've gone back to a simple volume/tone/3-way switch configuration :eek: What the hell was I thinking?

In the end, the option of having the two pickups in series wasn't that great of a tone, the bass roll-off from using the TBX was not tonally pleasing, introduced hum (0-center detent was dead quiet) and just not worth it.

I did make my tone pot no load, which is a subtle, but simple mod that I believe IS worth it.

I'm sure there are others that would disagree and find these mods really useful, but just thought I'd save some people some time from my personal experiences.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

So if Jefferson didn't send Lewis and Clark on their mission would we all still be living east of the Mississippi?

Some people like to experiment and if what they come up with floats their boat, so be it. I personally like the series position, it works for me. I have used a push/pull for an out of phase sound. There's other things I tried, as obviously you have too, and found that they didn't please me.

Some people are searching for more than a meat and potatoes Tele. Through experimentation some variations of standard methods are discovered.

Don't discourage someone from going through what you have. It's a learning process.

3. dilver

dilver Tele-Meister

Jeez - relax dude.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

I thought that was a very relaxed opinion.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a 4 way switch in one tele and a Humbucker neck pickup in another, but I'm basically a standard wiring kind of guy.

7. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I've done a bunch of experimenting and found that the volume, tone, three way switch has long been the standard for good reason.

That said, I've landed at a five way setup (similar to Jerry Donahue) that works for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.