Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Taylor Strap Question Re: Fitting Over End Pin/Jack

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Radspin, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Does anyone know if the Taylor-branded suede strap will fit over the endpin jack on a Taylor acoustic/electric? I'm talking about this strap:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...erfunnel&utm_content=display&utm_term=300x600

I've seen reports that the hole in the strap is too small, and others that say the strap is fine. The product description says the strap is "specially cut to fit the strap pins on Taylor guitars" but I don't know if they mean acoustic guitar strap pins or acoustic/electric guitar strap pins.

In this picture the strap holes look like they're different sizes (with the one that would go over the end pin being bigger)...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYSUEGT?siid=179319

...but in the Sweetwater picture they look like they're the same size.

2. Chuckster

Chuckster TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod
    It is too small, I have one and it's super tight.

I had to stretch it out to get it on, and now it does fit, but I'm always leery of it slipping off. There's really not enough space between the guitar and the underside of the endpin jack button (I hope that makes sense). So, even if you can get the button into the strap, the strap material itself is too thick.

I'll take a picture tonight and post... guitar is a 414ce and strap is the exact same color/style Taylor suede as in the link above.

3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks Chuckster! Just got a 114ce and love it but the end pin isn't exactly "universal" in terms of straps fitting on it as I found out in trying a few straps I have around the house. And you can't use a rubber washer on the end pin.

I was concerned about the diameter of the strap...it never occurred to me to consider the thickness of it.

For now I'm using an ugly old Fender cloth strap with leather ends that fits perfectly, but the adjustment buckle presses into my back and I'd like to get a better alternative.

Someone told me about this adjustable item from Planet Waves but I don't think it'll fit around a Taylor end pin and in any case it looks like it could scratch the guitar.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=b&network=g&gclid=CNqxtPLCzNQCFdyEswodhPoMcw

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 9:25 AM
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
  6. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Clintj, that looks like the perfect solution! For $9.99, not much of a gamble.

I was actually thinking about using a retainer clip (not a novel idea; Straploks use one) but the thought of scratching up...or worse...the endpin on a beautiful new guitar made it a deal-breaker. But I wonder if I can get nylon retaining rings at my hardware store or online at McMaster Carr or something like that.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    You can always make the hole bigger with a leather punch.

8. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    One thing occurred to me: if you have a cable plugged in, it will hold the strap securely. If you're needing something to secure the strap when playing unplugged, check out these.

https://strapjack.com

It plugs into the endpin and securely locks the strap down.

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Clintj, hadn't thought of the cable preventing the strap from slipping off! I'm only concerned about standing up when playing gigs amplified...when I play acoustically I'm usually in situations where I'm sitting down. In any case I ordered the Tapastring product and will let you know how it works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.