Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Taylor Big Baby 15/16 Acoustic Yay or Nay? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by hrstrat57, Jul 31, 2017.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    No intention of looking for an acoustic just not my jam.

Walked into local GC and found a mint Big Baby and picked it up on a whim.

Wow, played like an electric with decent tone and price seemed right.

I might actually play it if I bought it unlike ever other acoustic I've owned.
    (I actually loved my Yamaha FG 180, another sad why did I sell gear story)

Thoughts on Big Baby? Zombie threads kind of inconclusive so I thought I'd start another.

Help friends?

2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    SoCal
    I love BB's, always have. They are a blast to play and sound great. I had to sell mine when I traded up to a Taylor 324 (I'm married :)).

hrstrat57 likes this.

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I think the Taylor line is superb across the board. I'd try a gs mini before settling on a big baby. I looked at the big baby as they are more cost effective but in the end, I couldn't settle for one and bought the gs mini.

hrstrat57 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I could be happy with a BB, but I would also be looking at a GS Mini if possible, especially the mahogany-topped version.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm not a huge fan of any of the Taylor "babies".
    I find them kinda harsh sounding.
    They play OK.

7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I've liked everyone I've ever played. The big baby and the X14 line are actually the only taylors I can stand...

hrstrat57 likes this.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I grab every BB that I see in a store. I really like their sound and love the neck. I'm a blues player and have rarely found a song that needs that kind of all around open sound, so I've never bought an acoustic in that class, but those are winners in my book. My wife has a great sounding GS Mini, but the short scale is a deal breaker for me.

hrstrat57 and Tony Done like this.

9. Tony Done

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    That's an interesting observation that coincides with my view. I fingerpick more or less in the style of John Hurt, and big open sounds don't work well for that - he mostly played a Guild F-30 in the 60s.. - Which I why I like old-style Matons so much, they sound tight and overbraced. However, like you, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the constructional and tonal qualities of Taylors.

hrstrat57 and Obsessed like this.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    They play very well and they sound full and warm with nice sparkle on top. The 15/16 size combined with the decent rigid gig bag make them easy to pack and take places. They're nice.

If you don't have a decent grab 'n play acoustic then you're really missing something.

hrstrat57 likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Glad to hear that someone else has similar views. It is a bit odd, because I really enjoy the quality of big open sounding dreads. When I'm at a store, I can't hold back from grabbing a Gibby dread or something similar, but I just don't play stuff that sounds good on them, even though I greatly admire the tonal palette of them. I do have one song in my repertoire that demands a dread and that is, "Death Have No Mercy", by Rev. Gary Davis. So, when I'm in the mood, I have to beg and grovel Mrs. Obsessed to let me borrow her GS Mini.:rolleyes::lol:

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    This could be a good time to buy a Big Baby because the new Taylor Academy series is hitting stores. I don't know if the Academy guitars are replacing the Big Baby or if they are being offered in addition to the Big Baby.

The normal Big Babys were about $429 with case and they had the bolt on mortise and tenon neck with the two screws that went through the fret board. The Academy guitars are $499 and they don't have the screws through the fret board. The Academys also have a bevel where your arm lays across the lower bout.The Academys with electronics are $599. I just sold my second Big Baby on ebay and I bought an Academy with electronics. I think the Academy is a new/sexier Big Baby.

My Bib Baby was minty and I got $250 for it. I probably should have kept it but you keep everything.

My Big Baby aboved my new Academy......

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Tony Done

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I read some specs on the Academy series, they look pretty good. Apparently it has the same bolt-on neck joint as the "standard" series Taylors, which is a big plus for me compared to other makes - though I've got nothing against the simple Baby-style joint except maybe the look.

14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    She's home, nearly unplayed mint w case. Fun!

Thanks friends!

Attached Files:

15. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    They sound excellent much better than them mini Martin guitars

hrstrat57 likes this.

16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    IMG_2774.JPG

Yep sounds good smells good :)

Best sounding with the orig strings still attached presently playing finger style.

Still new though so it's immature!

My finger style playing is immature too!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island

18. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I bought an Academy Taylor recently too, I have the A12e. They're shorter scale than a Tele but otherwise the neck feels very familiar to someone who plays a Tele.. similar shape to the neck and similar width to the fretboard. They have good size frets too. I like mine a lot, though I'm not getting as much use as I thought I guess, I need to learn some more acoustic songs.

The Academy series are definitely worth checking out if you're looking at the Big Baby and/or GS Mini guitars.

I did work on the nut on mine and take a teeny bit off the saddle, it plays really nice now, but wasn't bad at all right out of the box.

19. Soof

Soof TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    Yes, the BB really sounds good. When I went to buy a 6 string recently I tried all the Taylor smaller guitars. I was driving the sales guy crazy ! He lined them up and I played them.

But when I played the 110e prototype (Mahogany top) I was hooked. I found my guitar and the price was right. Granted, this is a one-of-a-kind Taylor but I'd say the 2017 110s with spruce top & walnut back/sides sounds pretty darn good as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.