Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tauro woodworks?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dankilling, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I can't say I have purchased from him, but he lives the next town over. He cnc's the bodies. I met the guy that built his cnc router. He really can crank them out and makes very little on each one as far as I can tell. I'd give a body a shot if I needed one and recommended him to people who asked me to make a body the last few years. His ebay ranking is pretty good. He operated as Hilimire guitars on ebay for a few years too although I think somebody bought him out. A couple people here have some of his bodies. He did a couple checkerboard guitar bodies that were cool.

http://pittsfordlumber.com/Pittsford-Lumber/instruments.html

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  3. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I just got one a few weeks ago. The neck pocket end was rounded, like it had been chipped. I sent him a couple pics, he told me basically they were all like that, I was stupid and to send it back.

I tried them because I try to source suppliers that are good and will do custom work. I couldn't get any communication from them before they sent it, but after I told them and showed them it was faulty, they had no problems calling me names and sending me multiple rude messages. Lesson learned.

Here's what I'm talking about ....

Attached Files:

4. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

That's supposed to be rounded there when you are done.....the roundover bit rounds it up to that point with a radius. Those edges need to be trimmed back some, but I see what you are talking about. For 55 dollars or whatever you paid it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Why didn't you send it back if he offered? I'm not defending the guy as I never ever even met him, but I have dealt with enough people by selling my bodies on ebay to know what he's up against. He should have current pictures of the exact item, as it would save everybody a lot of trouble. You would see exactly what you are getting.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=302637957004

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/GuitarNeckPocket.aspx

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. Festus_Hagen

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I wasn't paying the 20.00 to ship it back. I make tables from the junk bodies I collect. This will make a decent table, but it's about 8 pounds. :eek:

No biggie, but I've never seen that round before on any raw bodies I've had. The first link is the one I bought. I see what you are saying from the second link, but this isn't that neat or clean ...lol.

Maybe they were more finished, but there just isn't any meat on the sides of this pocket once I get to trying to widen the pocket enough to fit a neck. I have not done that, not sure if I'm gonna mess with it if I don't have to.

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Again, I'm not taking his side but his wood cost is about 21 dollars. Then there is the overhead, the glue, the time, the elec bill, the router bits, the gas to go to Bristol to buy the wood and to the P.O. etc. He's making about 10 dollars an hour on a good day. You got a pretty good deal. We don't have swamp ash around here, it's all Northern Ash...and the bodies weigh a ton. They are good for thinlines though. As far as the shape it looks pretty much what would come off my cnc router too.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Festus_Hagen

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    Oh I know they were cheap. They have good reviews too. Mine wasn't a good body.

Like you said, if they showed the real body it would help. I tried to communicate many times before they built/ sent it, but nothing. They had no problems cussing me out a dozen different times afterwards though, even when I didn't respond back.

That showed me all I needed to know. Stay with who I know.

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

There's no excuse for poor behavior on the part of a business.

bender66 and Festus_Hagen like this.
  9. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic

May 31, 2014
    austin
    I got two ash esquire bodies from them for $50 each. Bodies are ok, the neck pockets are a little light, nothing some quick sanding didnt fix. My only complaint is that they are both very heavy.

10. Festus_Hagen

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    Mine was ~7 pounds. The top of the body was not planed down very good and it has "waves" in the body.

Too bad. 50 bux a body is a bargain. Now I know why.

11. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I just received a basswood tele body because it’s 3 lbs. Quality looks good to me. Clean routes, 2 pc body, and he did a humbucker neck pocket route as a free option.

My neck pocket looks the same and as mentioned they all do after they are routed. Quick work for an exacto knife and emery board. Neck holes are too small, but I’ve seen Fender bodies with the same issue. Ferrules holes are fairly close to perfect.

Body still had machining marks, but these appear to be straight from the CNC. I can’t build a body so these are perfect for me. All the hard work has been done, ready for rough sanding with 80, 100, 180, 220 to prep for finish.

I’m doing a satin vintage white chalk paint finish on mine. As far as I’m concerned, miles better than GFS XGP bodies in this price range.

12. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Just ordered one with a humbucker neck route. Will post up my impressions when it comes. Thanks all!

Loudog99 likes this.
  13. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    I finished mine last week. Everything lined up perfectly. The only “issue” I had was needing to use a larger 12” 1/4” drill bit to enlarge the wiring channels.

Also, depending on your neck you may need to sand the neck pocket sides. I used an Allparts Japan neck which are known to be a tad wider than US Fender neck heels so I sanded a bit on the treble and bass side of the neck pocket.

Here’s a few pics.

bender66 likes this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've had those Firebird bodies on my watch list forever.

Not liking his approach tho.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

What part don't you like? He sells a domestically made product at a ridiculously low price. They are made on a cnc. He leaves it as a point where the end user has to do some work. I did the same thing for years on ebay and through ads here. I can't defend any attitude that he may have had with a customer or two, but his feedback on ebay is good considering how many units he sold. I'd be interested in your reasoning.

16. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    If true, you don't treat people like that. You just don't. There's no need for it.

Is that a new concept for you?

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Here are some random thoughts on the subject: :)

I have a 100% feedback rating on ebay after 1500+ transactions over 19 years. I think that pretty much defines my concept of customer service.

I wonder if you read his feedback? He offered the customer a couple options to try to satisfy them. That's what I read on his feedback page of ebay... again...I'm not defending him, but I'm defending independent sellers who maybe should be judged in this case by the data.

I do know that some people can't be satisfied. According to him, he offered a solution and a refund..... he has 3 negatives out of 433 and a feedback rating of 99.3 in the last 12 months.

It seems like he has a reasonable approach....

He also has 100% feedback on his former or current ebay business, Hilimire guitars, with 1578 transactions, although I don't know if he is still part of that venture or not...they/he make guitar necks, where I will make the guess that the Tauro part are just the bodies.

There are always 2 sides to a story and we only heard one of them.

I've had a couple transactions where I refunded money because I couldn't satisfy the customer.

In one case I made a body for a guy. He assembled it and didn't like one aspect of it. I made another for him. He found fault with the 2nd body. At that point I refunded the money and he got to keep the body. I wasn't going to waste any more time and materials on this guy.

I also don't appreciate your sarcasm towards me on a legitimate question. I was just looking for an explanation to your post.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  18. bender66

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Nowhere within this thread were "options" mentioned.
    I'm the type where if I purchase a body I deal with it unless it's ludicrous. I'd have been ok with festus body.

When you start in on the insults is where it ends.

I understand where you're coming from. It's admirable. I appreciate it.

Thank you.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    In one case I made a body for a guy. He assembled it and didn't like one aspect of it. I made another for him. He found fault with the 2nd body. At that point I refunded the money and he got to keep the body. I wasn't going to waste any more time and materials on this guy.

Every time I think about selling body 'blanks' I read something like this...and then I'm glad I don't. ;)

20. Festus_Hagen

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    Well, to add to my story with Mr. Hillimire .....

I left him bad feedback. Not because of the "issue" with the body so much, but because he called me names, then threatened to "get even" by "watching out for yopur stuff to come up for sale" , and what comes around goes around, I'll keep an eye out for your stuff on here" and such terrible talk, I was just done. I left the negative feedback after we had conversed. He couldn't leave me negative feedback because I paid instantly.

Fast-forward 2 weeks. I put 4 bodies on there to sell. One sells to a bidder that had a zero feedback, but they paid, No problem, Heather McFarland gets a body ....

After the "buyer" got the body, they said it would "require too much modification to work for them because his Mighty Mite neck won't fit" . BS .... those necks fit PERFECT . I tried it before it was shipped. Then I noticed the buyer was Mich_Hilli_14. Micheal Hillimire ......

So we argue over this with ebay, since in my description I said you may have to fit your neck. After looking through my transactions, I saw that Heather McFarland actually paid using Michael Hillimire's paypal. Now it all fits into place. I sold 4 bodies, 3 people were happy, and 2 even called me on the phone to tell me how happy they were. You can look at my feedback on ebay, one said he had a custom shop Fender relic and mine looked better than theirs. So it all made perfect sense.

Mr. Hillimire started a shill account because I blocked him from bidding on my stuff. I sent all screenshots to Ebay, but they OK'ed a return ????

I got the same box I sent, but with a 1x12 pine board and 2 slabs of something he had laying around the shop. Of course I took pics, actually did a video of opening it since I figured I would prove a Mighty Mite neck would fit so ebay could see he was just trying to make me be out 40 bux for shipping. I filed another claim with Ebay, showed them the pics, and they refunded BOTH of us! I was so damn mad they are letting him off the hook I pulled all my stuff. I'm done. Period.

He got to keep a body AND get reimbursed. Shady dude , real shady .....
    ebay scam2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Maricopa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.