Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tamed low E string

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jazz Rock, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Jazz Rock

Jazz Rock TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Edinburgh, UK
    I have a bit of running issue with telecaster. While I am quite happy with the way most strings sound when amplified, the low E string doesn't seem to tie in with the rest. It sounds a bit dull, not as punchy.

For a while I dealt with the problem by tuning the guitar in drop D, but I don't really want to keep this guitar in permanent drop D.

Any thoughts on how I could solve this problem?

Cheers

2. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

What gauge strings are you using?

3. Jazz Rock

Jazz Rock TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Edinburgh, UK
    The last time I have changed strings on this one was probably 5 years ago...but judging by the feel and comparing to my SE C24 I would say 9-42. I think I was thinking of going up to 10s but either I came back from there or I never tried.

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    5 years ago ???? They should all be dead by now..
    A new set is long overdue..
    I like, at, least a .048 on the 6th for good thump..

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Five years is a bit of a long time if you play it regularly.

I think my D is a 42.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Disregarding the fact you need to change the strings...

If the nut isn't angled correctly you can get a dull sounding string. I had the issue with the A string on one of my guitars. The nut needs to tilt back towards the tuning keys a bit. If this is the problem it's an easy fix. Coat in graphite so you can see what you've sanded. Then lightly sand the slot at an angle so less of the rear portion of the nut is touching the string.

Could be the saddle too. You can fret the string to see if it's just open, which would make the nut a more likely culprit.

But, change those strings!

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I just put D'Addarrio thin top, heavy bottom on my Thinline. Just yesterday, and LOVE it.

They're tens, but once you get to the A and E, they're really thick. I think the E is like 56, but not sure. Don't have the package in front of me.

Those low strings BOOM for me now, and I can really slam them hard.

Papa Joe likes this.

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio

This...eggzactly.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

10. Jazz Rock

Jazz Rock TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Edinburgh, UK
    Thanks Guys. No they have not been played a lot in the past 5 years. Otherwise I would have changed them more regularly. I have had this problem for a while, so these particular strings are not the issue, apart maybe for the gauge.

The problem subsist with the string fretted, which would make me think the nut is not the issue. What would be involved if the saddle is the issue? They are modern Fender tele ones.

With regard to gauge, I have grown to like the feel of .009s. For a long time I was playing .011s on my LP, on the assumption that thicker was better. But I am not convinced going overly thick is the way I want to go down with the tele...

11. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Split the difference and try 10s. Does the lack of punch happen on both pickups? Could be a pickup height problem if it happens on one and not the other.

12. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    10-52 are great, I use the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom on teles and it's fab.

13. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    I wanted more punch on the low strings as well. Built a tele with a reverse angled bridge pup...really helped on the low E/A and didn’t seem to sacrifice too much personality on the high E. I know it’s not a solution for your Tele, but it does work and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? IMG_3525.JPG

14. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    This guy has a 5 yr old 6th string and wants the forum to tell him why it’s dead sounding???

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I know some guys change their strings every few hours, but there has to be a happy medium.

16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    maybe the neckrelief is playing a part to by nothing out.
    raise the bridge saddle a bit to find out if the string sounds better

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.