Talk me out of/into a VOX AC30 (and some dB discussion)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Polderpatat, May 22, 2019.

1. Polderpatat

Polderpatat TDPRI Member

Hi,

Although on forums much is said about the vox edge of breakup tones, crunch and the associated mega volume. How does it behave as a clean chimey sparkly pedal platform. But I'm allergic to ice picks, which can cause to occur more then I would like in my search for bright cleans.

I don't play in a band (anymore) but also not super quiet. To make this statement a bit more valid, I've used following apps to give some dB references, measured at 2meters from the cab:

"Decibel X" gave me for my most quiet session average of 75dB for the loudest 95dB (peaks up to 109dB).
    "Sound Meter" gave for the quietest 80 dB and loud 95dB.

Is the VOX AC30 just to much amp for these volumes?

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Let's just say I can count on one finger the AC30 owners I've met who regularly play their amps at home. Most end up selling them. Don't buy one for home use if you want break up, crunch, and not-so-ice pick. If you do, don't buy new. Plenty of them out there for steal prices for the above reasons.

3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

Great sound amps... very very loud though! Too loud for home use, studio use, or even most gigs imo. Maybe consider an AC15 and use the money saved to get the celestion blue. They are a bit fussy with pedals too. All in all, I wouldn't consider vox amps versatile at all. However, they are capable of some of the nicest tones ever. I prefer the 30 over the 15, but the volume is just a deal breaker. It's a stadium amp.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I would add that an AC30 is too much amp for where I play out. I JUST WON'T play that loud anymore! An AC10 would make a good choice, though even THEY are pretty loud. The other guitarist I've been playing with uses an AC10, and it does sound good.....although I'd like to hear it with a 12" speaker.....;)

jannodude likes this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

If you're not playing out, you don't need an AC30 -- and you probably don't want one, either. Too much amp for around the house, as others have said. At sane volumes, I think the AC15 sounds better, too -- and since you don't have to move it, the weight of the thing doesn't matter.

The "cut" control is your friend in search of bright cleans. I wouldn't buy a Vox-style amp without one.

6. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

I would say the AC30 is a bit much for home use, personally. I tried the AC30 in store and went with the Super Champ X2 instead because it got the sound I was looking for at lower volume levels.

stevemc likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I played one in a store a few years back and loved it. I think the 10 inch complements it nice. A buddy of mine has the AC4 with the 12inch. I haven't been as impressed with it. We cranked it for recording and got some nice feedback, but it was noisy as hell and still too boxy and ice picky. I'd get the AC10 if i were in the market. AC15 is too much for my needs now.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Much is said about how "loud" tube amps are.
    But there is a knob for that!

For me, and what you're asking about which you call "clean chimey sparkley", we will never need the maximum volume of a 30w amp, but what WE DO NEED is the clean headroom.
    I like 18w Marshalls for their cleans, which tend to be fatter with more mids and lower mids than the AC15/ 30.
    But turn up the amp and it loses that clean clarity as it starts to distort.

Many here call a 30w amp too loud because we want to use it for distorted sounds.
    There the player wants a smaller amp that is distorted at your chosen db level.

But if you want clean at a range of volumes, you need a bigger amp turned down.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I don't know why anyone would need an AC30.
    An AC15 is loud. And sparkling clean all the way up. Put it this way: I play in a band with a loud drummer, and I have never turned it up loud enough to get breakup on the clean channel. I suppose it might be possible...
    Onboard tone controls allow you to make it sound however you want.
    And many people on this board say they gig contentedly with an AC10.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

AC10 or AC15 is more than enough amp, especially for home use.

To prevent ice-pick brightness, there are these things called “tone knobs” on amps and on guitars...start playing with them, especially the one that says “TREBLE”...:D

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I built an AC15 and added a 1/2 power switch (pentode/triode). On full power mode, I could barely turn it up a home - luckily I installed a Master Volume also.

I played it at neighborhood party. A guy in my neighborhood was a sound guy and mentioned how loud the amp was. My drummer mentioned how lound the amp was. The sound guy asked my how many watts the amp puts out and was very suprised when I told him it was 15 watts, he was even more suprised when I told him that I only had it turned up a third of the way.

Master Volume is your friend!

12. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

AC30's are not really ideal for playing at home.

I use a 5W amp at home and use the AC30 for playing with a drummer/bassist.

It's loud enough to still have a "clean" tone although "Vox clean" is it's own thing.

Cranking one for a crunch tone is fine for Brian May :rolleyes:

My advice would be to find a more suitable amp for playing in your house.

:)

13. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

ac10

maggieo likes this.
  14. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

AC15C2. It's an AC15 with 2 X12 cabinet. It's still loud as all get up and moving some serious air around

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The AC30 is a great amp, if you're Brian May, Rory Gallagher or Ritchie Blackmore and playing large halls/stadia...
    Too much amp for home use, too much amp for a lot of folks back too!.
    The AC10 gets a lot of love.
    The AC4-C1 doesn't sound like an AC15/30. It's a single ended amp. Fun in its own way, but missing something the AC15/30 possesses.
    As a European, ever thought of building a low Watt kit?.
    https://www.tube-town.net/cms/?DIY/LoW-Projekte/Molly_(engl)

You'd be surprised just how loud tiddler amps can get in a small room. I've not built the Molly, but I have built a kit from TubeTown and it's a little fiddly ( I built a Lummerland ), but sounds fine. Easy enough if you take your time, meter everything and verify each wire after soldering it in. 3~4 Watts through a good speaker is delightful. A castrated 30 Watt?, less so.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Having had a 10 and a 15 in the last year, if you want an amp strictly for home use but you want to get some loud-clean ?

AC15

10 has no headroom. At all.

Great-sounding amp. Great crunch. No headroom.

But I’d recommend a 15 only if you were never going to move it .

asnarski and Polderpatat like this.
  17. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I recently picked up an AC10C1 and have been seriously enjoying it. I've had no lack of headroom for clean volume in my office and I've been digging the breakup tones. I really like running it out to a cab with a 12" G12H, but the 10" is nice, honestly. I will say I don't love it for pedals, but it plays nice with fuzz pretty well.

For home use, it's wonderful. And it's light and quick to haul to around.

18. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I like my Vox amps. My TB18C1 has been my best sounding amp, for many years. But for home use, My Vox VXII gets more use. I've also liked the Vox sounds from my old Roland Cube 30.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  19. Polderpatat

Polderpatat TDPRI Member

You will be surprised, I currently have an AMT stonehead with a Thiele 112 with an eminence delta proA, even with treble, mids and precense down, it still seems like it want to try to shove an ice pick through my head, with gain it behaves nice though :lol:

20. Polderpatat

Polderpatat TDPRI Member

Anyway for some reference
    the tone this dude gets is nice IMHO, even though he uses a compressor, I wonder how loud it is turned up

these are the things I want to get, but not at gigging volumes, nor at super quiet either.

Do fender amps behave better at sane volumes?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.