Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Back at the Americana in Houston, duo gig with long-time partner. Played the tele thru BF Tremolux w/cab and flattop. Fun evening. My duo partner writes songs that are just fun to play.

Had our Chapman stick player friend for the half-time, along with a guy who is just a fine, fine finger-picker.

All good, plus tacos and Spaten.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I did my regular Tuesday lounge gig last night, but I used a couple of different guitars on it.
    I played my Epi Johnny A and new (to me) 1999 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe.
    The Johnny A did not really thrill me much, unfortunately.
    It’s a great looking guitar, but I couldn’t dial it it, no matter what I tried.
    The Deluxe fared better, but I may put heavier (12-54) strings on it.
    It has an 11 set on it now.
    I like my guitars to “fight” me a little.
    Our Tuesday crowds have been dwindling for awhile now.
    The Holiday season will help a little, I hope.

3. teletimetx

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    wednesday night at the brewpub. Our guest last night was Tommy Lewis, a really good singer/songwriter, fun story teller and he also is the lead guitar sideman for another well-known midwestern songwriter, Chad Elliott.

anyway, had a fun night, playing what is becoming my standard set-up; telecaster, BF Tremolux, and gibby flattop. Mr. Lewis joined in with our group for our second set, and a good time was had by all. Dude can play!

4. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I had an unexpected, and pleasant duo gig with Tracie Lynn at the Broken Spoke (restaurant/front room) last evening.
    I haven’t played her for a few weeks now, but we sounded our best, and were tipped well (it’s tips only + a meal).
    Folks from Europe and Canada were in attendance, and we enjoyed talking to them after the gig.
    I usually don’t do too much schmoozing at gigs.
    I’m not Johnny Showbiz.
    My avatar guitar and Cube 80 worked perfectly till the last tune.
    The amp started buzzing loudly.
    It was the last tune, so I loaded it up and checked it out first thing this morning.
    It was just the cord, luckily.
    Another good one!

5. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I had two gigs yesterday, though three were scheduled.
    A third one got cancelled 4 hours before it was to happen.
    Grrrrrrr.
    It was my second cancellation of the week.
    Oh well.
    The first (4-5PM) was a pleasant trio gig with friends Lamar (guitar, piano lead vocals) and Bob (upright bass).
    We played the Atria senior living complex.
    I played my new (to me) 1999 Les Paul Deluxe into my Cube 80XL.
    Lamar and I sang through my Fishman Loudbox Performer.
    We do this gig about once a month, and have loyal fans that some see/hear us.
    We had more dancers than usual, which is always nice.
    The second, another trio gig (Billy Dee Three) was scheduled right after first (6-9PM), and was about 5 miles from the first.
    The venue cancelled it at 2PM.
    Grrrrrr.
    Oh well, it’s only how I attempt to make a living.
    The third and final was my usual piano bar Friday bass gig.
    Though I crab and whine about how tedious this one is, it always happens, and I always get paid for it.
    I’ll try to keep my whining to a minimum.
    I played my best, and the decent size crowd danced, made requests, and tipped.
    Thanks for listening.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    played a show at a fest in a dance studio where people had to take off their shoes.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    We had our first gig at a Mexican restaurant less than a mile from my house. We did it three piece--two guitars and bass--because A) we are currently between drummers, and B) it's a very, very reflective room and I just don't know if any drummer could keep from playing too loud in there.

We just got the gig two days before, so they didn't have much time to advertise us. We had a few very enthusiastic diners who asked to be seated in that part of the restaurant to listen to us once they arrived, so that was good, and we made enough in tips to buy a tank of gas for our bass player and her husband, who had the longest drive.

Besides the usual Tele rig, I took my Alvarez acoustic/electric and my old Ibanez Troubadour 25 amp, and did about a twenty minute set on acoustic. I haven't played one while actually standing on a stage in several years, and it went surprisingly well. All the band entourage said it blended well with the songs we did, and I'll probably do more of that, at least at smaller, quieter gigs.

The only real issue was fluctuating temperature in the room. It was pretty chilly when we started, then around the time we began our last set they really cranked the heat a little too much, and we found ourselves retuning often.

The restaurant owners talked with us about a hired gig next time, so evidently we didn't sound too bad (I hope). We shall see. As some of you know, I was off a long time prior to the last month or so, and I'm finally beginning to get back some voice and some confidence, thank goodness. I was beginning to wonder if I was done.

8. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My last one was with the Audrey Malone Band at the venerable Driskill Hotel in downtown Austin, Saturday night.
    The crowd was thick!
    There were three wedding receptions being held, and the UT game was on.
    Because of the much bigger than normal crowd, our audience was attentive and generous.
    The venue provides a good PA, and the load in/out was easier than usual.
    Even parking was easier to find than it usually is.
    Drummer Matthew brought friends and fellow musicians Boyd, Larry and Amy.
    Larry is a member of the TDPRI, and his nom de Tele is SturmAndTwang.
    It was great to meet him!
    We sounded our best, though we have not seen, or played together in a month.
    We have another gig at Riley’s Tavern in Hunter, Tx. this Friday.
    Looking forward to it!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM
  9. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Interesting, unplanned experiment during my regular 2nd Sunday 4-hour brunch gig at the Farm Market Café in Onamia, Minnesota. Locally-sourced, scratch-made American food. http://farmmarketcafe.com/ My plan was to take the Breedlove acoustic-electric dread (standard & drop tunings), a parlor with soundhole humbucker (open D & G), and a 5-string banjo (several tunings) - also with a humbucker. But encroaching senility had other ideas. As I left the house I grabbed the Gretsch G5620T-CB - thinline, center block, modded w/ Bill Lawrence L-90s - insteada the Breedlove.

So @ the gig I'm running all instruments through Boss inst switcher >> Fishman analog preamp/EG/tuner/compressor >> MXR M77 OD >> Lotus Pedal Trem >> Fishman SA-330 w/ reverb sound system. The surprise is that, while I prefer to run the Gretsch into a 14-watt tube combo, it actually sounded great. Clear, balanced, crisp, nice nuance via the pickups. Slow day at the café but I had a blast!

teletimetx and telestratosonic like this.
  10. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Last night I played with the talented Lea Randella and a few friends. It was a real acoustic gig so no amps or PA at all. It was fun, I just grabbed my Guild OM and took the subway. I think the last time I did something like this was when I was like 14 years old.

11. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My regular Tuesday piano bar gig was a little irregular last night.
    It was cold (Texas cold, around freezing, not really cold, IMO) so many of the regulars were MIA.
    We probably had 15 people at peak time.
    It was kinda lonely.
    We played quietly, which is rare for us.
    What made it irregular was the one ringside table, 1 gentlemen and 3 lovely women.
    The made a ton of requests, tipped nicely for them, and I did most of them.
    The leader on this gig usually does most of the requests, but he did not know any of theirs.
    I knew most of them, and what I didn’t know, I consulted my phone for lyrics.
    I had fun, and made a little extra $.
    Nice!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    teletimetx and telestratosonic like this.
  12. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Monday small wine bar gig, 6-piece band(!!!) 2 vocalists, guitar, bass, keyboard, clarinet. Boswell/Andrew Sisters tunes and standards.

I used my new Eastman FV archtop through a DRRI it sounded great, kinda acoustic while still being obviously electric. Just wish my playing were up to the same level. An off night for me :(

telestratosonic likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    That sounds like an interesting project. I seem to be hearing more '40's music popping up lately.

14. teletimetx

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Last night the weekly brewpub deal. Played mostly on my tele through the BF Tremolux, etc.

Kind of a mixed night for me; played well but for the songs where I sing lead, just wasn't feelin' it full speed ahead. We play a mix of covers and originals and I just retreated into playing covers.

Oh well. I very much enjoy playing the songs one of the other guy writes, so that was good.

Our guest was a folksinger type and I really like some of his songs. It was cold for this far south, so rather than a lot of our regular crowd, we had more of the come-and-go folks.

Variety is the spice, glad every night is not the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.