Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2003
    Oakland, Ca.
    I had the honor of playing a bit at a local blues musician's 90th(!) birthday party on Saturday. He's still singing and dancing- totally functional... simply amazing! Apparently 90 is the new 70...
    thegeezer and 1955 like this.

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Tonight's gig went great. One guy who sat in with me on a song brought a framed picture taken the last time we did a song together.

Talked to a WWII pilot who told me this story about how when they got ready to drop these bombs on enemy supplies that they were stuck or the thing that released them wouldn't work. So they circled around a couple times taking fire each time.

They finally dropped them by hand by holding onto something with one hand, lifting the bomb out with the other and using a foot and pulling with the arm to activate it before they dropped it. They did that with dozens of them.

He said if you stuck your hand out into the air up that high it would take your skin right off.

Driving home saw an unusual and wicked little fox prowling on the side of the road, glowing eyes.

I'm really physically exhausted after helping a good friend move who lost his house and was forced to get out quick.

Done the last few shows on one set of strings, so that ain't bad. Doing a country club Sat. so I'll have to change them by then.

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Super night.

Scheduled 7:30-10:30. Started off kind of dragging tail. Part song choices and part annoyingly slow tempo by the song starter (including me). Four songs in it all came together and then just seemed to get better and better as the night went on. Lots of compliments on my sound, which was unexpected.

Packed room that got more boisterous as the night went on. I was getting a bit concerned with all the unsteady dancers so close to my gear. Finished and some very large, somewhat drunk gentleman (that almost crushed my wireless receiver dancing) threw $100 at us to keep playing. Then he did the same thing after another four songs.

It was great, but I really, REALLY had to pee by the end. Easy load-out and now I'm sipping a beer and wishing I had some Taco Bell.
    ecoast, 1955 and Paul in Colorado like this.

4. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Couldn't have gone better tonight, got a huge tip, met some awesome folks, had some pretty deep conversations on break and after. Traffic tedious on the highway and a lot of bumper to bumper. Kept getting "charging system failure" indicator so maybe an alternator issue?

5. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Last night's gig was a great one with the touring Elvis show. 600 tickets sold and we had a really good PA to play with. FB_IMG_1520733419798.jpg

6. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    That sounds like a total blast. Is that your regular gig or was it an Elvis that uses local musicians in each town?

7. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    From last night's show, a Queen tune done as a tango. I'm up front on the gypsy guitar. No solos from me on this tune I'm afraid.

Shango66 likes this.

8. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    This is from Friday's gig. My Ibanez and Princeton. You can't see the bass player, but he's there :)

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Strapped on the guild arch top for Yesterday’s gig. a Twilight jazz concert in the garden of a historic house.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The Audrey Malone Band played the Saxon Pub yesterday from 3-4:30 PM.
    Our friend John C. subbed for Matthew on drums.
    We had a small but attentive crowd.
    Another good one!
    Jakedog, thegeezer and teletimetx like this.

11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

I'm a combined recording engineer/producer for music and a sound designer for video and film. Last week at the studio:

Thursday it was building a song for the score of a video program in an Americana sort of style. It will be a featured cue, meaning it will run solo with no dialog over it. I started from scratch to build the piece, tapping out the drums and substituting samples with Drumagog plugin. I laid down three tracks of acoustic rhythm guitar with a Taylor acoustic and added Jazz bass and some synth pads with the Roland guitar synth. I also sang a guide track, even though I'm typically a BG vocalista. This week the initial tracks will go to a drummer to be re-drummed. Once that's done I'll add electric guitar. We are expecting the vocal artist to come into town in the next couple of months and we'll book sessions.

Friday I was scoring a movie. Most of my composing and performance in this case was done using my 1970s MiniKorg mono keyboard synth, believe it or not. That was a little strange for me as a guitarist but you do what you have to.

Grateful Ape and teletimetx like this.

12. michael6136

michael6136 TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Hey thanks! I'm with a touring company which brings out some guys from the USA once or twice per year. We tour all over the country with the show(s). We did a "Trilogy" with a young guy doing the rockabilly years, another guy doing the 60's movies and comeback special and a 3rd guy doing the 70's jumpsuit stuff. I'm new to the scene (promoter) but I've been locked in for May to do a Motown tour with some singers from the USA with the Elvis show coming back for another tour in Sept and Oct.

13. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Last minute gig. Bar had a cancellation and call Us in! Wow. We must be doing something right!
    Our pedal steel player was in Florida, so we did it as a 4 piece.
    Kind a weird without the pedal, but we pulled it off well.
    At the end of the night, the owner was happy, and he paid us well. WooHoo!

Nugget 3-10-18.jpg

14. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan

Ladies Night Out in downtown Holland, MI. We were back at New Holland Brewing Pub on 8th. The place is always full on the weekends but it was more than packed because of downtown festivities. There were still people waiting in the foyer to get in when we hit the last note and we played an extra half hour. A really good time at a place that's always great to play, hospitable to the band and compensates well.

Booked us back for four more nights through the rest of the year which is pretty aggressive given their normal rotation. Doing something right, I guess.

You can just see my trusty '54 Deluxe peeking out from behind me.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do amateurs' concerts qualify as gigs? Milan, about 10 days ago. Small auditorium, school parents' concert, a couple hundred in attendance perhaps. Band of 9 + big choir. I had lots of fun. Also learned how much of a total noob I am concerning amp placement (all wrong!) and volume in a live setting. Well, gotta start somewhere. But I got compliments about tone & playing, so I must also have done something right in the set!

Attached Files:

16. RyanStewart

RyanStewart TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Pennsylvania, USA
    My saxophone player got extremely drunk and high and walked off stage with a sax mic connected to my guitar rig (it was a harmonizer pedal). When he walked off stage, he pulled my whole rig with him
    Jakedog and Shango66 like this.

17. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    At a recent fundraiser/party to replace an aging public radio station transmission tower my buddy and I (AKA Almost Blue) did an unrehearsed, but oh so familiar slow blues in G with some relevant lyrics piled on top called the Radio Tower Blues. KAXE/Northern Community Radio is a great community-oriented station with lots of local programming and wonderful music programs; serves a big hunk of the northern half of Minnesota, USA. KAXE staffers liked the song and asked us to record so they could play it on the air.

You can listen to the 2nd take of Radio Tower Blues recorded live-into-the-mic at our local community college sound lab by scrolling down to the middle of this page and clicking on the Listen button that runs 4:30 minutes. (The longer Listen link @ 30.27 minutes above that offers more detail about the tower, the community fundraising campaign, the song, etc.) The blues IMO just kinda noodles along, but hey we're noodling for a cause! Also, they say on there that we "wrote" the song; "wrote" is a strong term. That's me on rhythm guitar, a Breedlove dread, and the vocal while my buddy plays lead on a Cordoba nylon string guitar. My middlest kid and I scribbled the lyrics down the night before the fundraiser/party.

18. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I really messed up my ring finger of my picking hand right before the show. I play completely fingerstyle, so I had to completely rethink the whole show really fast. This is what is good about things going wrong. There are so many unpredictable challenges, they force you to think on the fly.

I changed several things, pulled it off and the show went even better than the last one there.

I brought way too much gear it turns out because they changed the spot I usually play in and people were crammed up real close to me. I really need to get a better solution for all the gear and backup gear I take with me.

Couldn't have asked for a better audience.

This makes the 8th gig I've done on the same set of strings, which is unheard of for me. So glad about that, it really helped to play my main one again with all the other craziness.

Almost got hit several times by distracted drivers in stop and go traffic on the highways, some of the most horrendous I have ever been in.

Broke my tuner during the gig, too.

So glad to be home, but now I have to figure out how to do some difficult material (that's already set in stone) for the upcoming show with a jacked up hand.

19. gusfinley

gusfinley TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    My last Gig was a few years ago. I got together with some guys in the neighborhood to play for a neighborhood party. We played a few songs and I got to show off some of my gear.

Most importantly, my kids finally got to see me playing on stage. I'll never forget seeing how excited they were!

They're a little older now and I'm gearing up to start playing again. :)
    Jakedog, richiek65 and 1955 like this.

20. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    This was a really special one, awesome people, really fun. Took me many hours to prepare for it, though. Was in a hurry out the door and forgot the setlist for it. I pulled it off from memory luckily, everyone was happy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.