Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I wish I'd taken a picture of the space we were crammed into under the stairs at the Opera Galley in Fort Collins yesterday for the Winter Farmers Market. The Colorado Green Band is a four piece, Guitar, Pedal Steel, Bass and Drums. The drummer used an Irish bodhran as a kick with bongos for toms, a snare and some small cymbals. Steel Player used a SF Fender Champ, I used a one watt Blackstar for electric and went direct for acoustic. The Bass player used a Dean resonator bass direct into the PA, a Bose L1 stick and sub using a Mackie 1202 mixer and a Dbx Go Rack for EQ, Compression and Anti-Feedback.

The bass player was hungover, the steel player was hyper (he's always like that) and the drummer hit her head on the metal stairs at least five times. I was a little upset that the bass player was late picking me up, but I shook it off once we got started. The booth next to where we played belonged to our good friends who sell crafts they make. There was a little space behind us where there were blankets that we called the "Fort". It was like a fort kids would make with tables and blankets.

In spite of sounding like the makings of a trainwreck, it was a great gig. We played real well. The volume was reasonable. The cranky guy who sells nut butter and doesn't like music didn't complain. The powers that be and the other vendors liked us. We had a few people stick around to listen. We played a lot of originals, obscure songs we like and a few Grateful Dead songs. The only mishap was a butchering of the Dead's "Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodeloo." I'd been playing it just fine at home all week, but just got lost after starting it. We ditched the last verse and went into the "Across the Rio Grande-o" ending and brought it to a merciful end.

We got a lot of praise, the tip jar was filled with carrots, potatoes, honey, lip baum, salmon and a bunch of money including a twenty and some fives! We return March 24th.

2. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    I played a pit orchestra gig over the weekend at a local high school for their musical. They hire 4 professionals (and I use that term loosely regarding my skills), and fill the rest of the pit with high school kids, and occasionally another teacher. This is my 16th year, and I've only missed 3 or 4 shows in those years. I love playing them!

3. TurboStang

TurboStang Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Here's a clip from this past Saturday at one of our usual haunts. Our regular vocalist decided to hang it up a couple weeks ago, so we had a female fronting us for the first time. It went great and she's interested in possibly doing it full time.

4. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great gig Friday and Saturday at the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cookoff!

Pics and longer post in the Bad Dog Cafe

Cheers,
    Doug

teletimetx likes this.

5. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Here's last Friday's gig from the bass player's vantage. I using my standard gypsy rig of Dupont DM-50 into a Fishman Loudbox. I'm the one looking suspiciously into the camera...

28276266_1693473920695857_500460265943473825_n.jpg

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I just got home from my regular Tuesday lounge gig.
    The evening was made special by the wonderful sub drummer, Ruben Hernandez, leader of the Nash Hernandez
    Orchestra.
    We only did two sets, and the evening flew by.
    Ruben is a world class drummer, and he really “lifted” us.
    It’s the most fun I’ve had doing this gig in years!

7. Micky Mojo

Micky Mojo TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2010
    North East
    Jakedog, soul-o, Tele1966 and 4 others like this.

8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    A bit of music does so much to enhance performance poet gigs, a friend of mine plays five string upright bass with a local guy. I had seen the poet a couple of times performing on his own and booked him to play our festival. He arrived unannounced with the bassist, but so glad he did. Since then the bassist has played every year, with his folk band, his jazz trio or solo guitar, such a talented performer.

Glad you enjoyed your gig, hope you get to repeat it.

upload_2018-2-28_12-15-21.jpeg

9. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Yes, i think that with some live music in the background the reading is very nice, i did it again a couple of weeks ago when the poet performed in a radio and i will do it in april with other musicians, even a girl playing a celtic harp, i'm quite excited about it, also because we will improvise everything, nothing is written, it's very challenging.

10. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    What's the band's name?

11. TurboStang

TurboStang Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    My Pet Octopus

Paul in Colorado likes this.

12. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Great name but I was actually asking about sockgtr's Gypsy Swing Band.

TurboStang likes this.

13. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    That band is The Hot Club of Hawthorne, run by the fellow in the tall hat :)

Paul in Colorado likes this.

14. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Did a solo gig. Second one ever. (I’ve got 30 years of band experience.

So acoustic guitar and mandolin. I was nervous as anything. And I made mistakes.

But they wanted an encore and raved.

So I’m happy. Will I work on my singing voice? Yes. Can I improve my instrumental performance. Yes.

But I got through. And succeeded.

I’m a bit pumped.

Jakedog, Mr Scallywag, ecoast and 8 others like this.

15. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Flurry of activity all day, got to sleep in till 9am, but just worked like a dog, load out/set up was absolutely nuts, really bad traffic, awesome crowd, nice folks helped load in and out. Played one song I'd never done before. Tore my fingers up, just soaked them in alcohol a couple minutes ago, and put superglue on the gaping blood/cracks exasperated by this winter. Ears ringing.

16. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Did my first solo acoustic gig at a little spot about 400 yards from my house: The Cabin at Davidson Landing, NC. First solo I’ve done in probably more than a year. Did three hours straight, no break (my choice).

I still got it. ;-)

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The Billy Dee Three played at Black’s BBQ in San Marcos, Tx last night.
    We had a good crowd for our dinner set, 6-9PM.
    Our friend Frank subbed for John, our regular drummer.
    Frank is a great singer, and we all sounded our best.
    The crowd was attentive and tipped well, too.
    I played my avatar guitar for the first two sets, and my Chet for the last.
    Another good one!

18. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    Awww man, I had a good one. Some of you older folks might get how cool this was for me: I got to open for the Zombies at City Winery in Boston last night. They are one of my all- time favorite groups. Their big hits in the 60s were "Time Of The Season", "She's Not there" and "Tell Her No", but they also made one of the all- time classic albums "Oddesey And Oracle". I am eternally in awe of Colin Blunstone's voice- a thing of beauty which seems to be holding up incredibly well in his 70s. I was actually somewhat slightly up for the bass slot on their American tour. Their bassist Jim Rodford (of the latter day Kinks) died unexpectedly a few weeks ago and they had a player from Europe lined up that they could rehearse with, but there were some visa complications and I learned their whole set as a contingency. Didn't get the gig, but I did get to play bass wit the opening act ( a friend of mine named Don Dilego- great songwriter) and they invited us up to sing the Argent song "God Gave Rock & Roll To You" at the end. It mean a ton to be on stage with them.

Attached Files:

19. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Did a free one for a group of folks that have been really good to me, everyone was so nice and fun. I did a minimal setup.

When I got home, there was a thoughtfully written card in my stuff from some of the folks and in it was a really generous tip.

20. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    Had a great gig in Providence, RI. It was packed, and one of those gigs that lights you up a bit, and makes you want to come back for more. What a joy to have a room full of people engaged and enjoying what you're doing. Thanks I NEEDED that.

upload_2018-3-5_9-13-44.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.