Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Saturday was a wedding party. With the punk rock band. Yes, that's right!

The groom was three years old when the band started. His parents played our cd's and he liked it. You could actually, for real, say that he's been a fan for all his life. One of our biggest fans!

Ten-or-so years back, when he was a couple of years into the relation with the bride, he said that he would never get married, BUT IF he ever did we would play at his wedding. The bride, also a fan, kept that in mind for a long time and wanted to surprise him. Secretly she talked to us and there we were setting up behind the movie screen at the community centre where the party was held. We did it for free, as a wedding present. Alright, we got a very nice dinner, so not completely free.

When everybody arrived we were back stage. Right when everyone had been seated and the menu was beeing presented we got the sign to go in to our seats. When we crossed the room we could hear him go WTF?

Hours later, when we started playing, he was standing there with a is-this-really-happening look in his face. I was a little moved by his appreciation. I was also a little surprised how well we worked for the crowd there. We were expecting to basically play for him, his bride and his parents, but we kept the crowd going throughout the gig. Most of them are about twenty years younger than us and not usually seen at the kind of places we mostly play. Nonetheless, they came up to us afterwards and called us legends and icons. Way too strong words, but I am very happy that we have fans! Fans from another generation that were singing along to our songs.

We did our 30 minutes gig. It grew to about 45 as we had to get up for extras twice. The second time we came back, the groom was on stage. "So, you wanna sing?". "No, I'm gonna count in!", he said with a big smile. He yelled out "one-two-three-four" and sent us into Rockaway Beach, looking absolutely childishly happy! Great!

The view from stage was great as well, with lots of gals in their late twenties and early thirties dressed to the nines. It was very different from last weekends gig at a punk rock festival in a biker's club! Different in a good way!

2. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2010
    Athens, GA
    We played a party at Georgia Tech last Saturday. Not normally my thing, but it was a good time nonetheless.

teletimetx likes this.

3. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Silver Cliff, WI
    It's been a while, but it was an acoustic gig. I just had a dreadnaught and my girlfriend has a epiphone acoustic/electric. She put that through our PA, she sings a bit quiet and plays guitar a bit quiet. I however jamed the dreadnaught like a maniac, even running around occasionally to play slayer riffs and that one song Dennis leary wrote. I only played these things before and after out set, in our friends faces.

KyAnne and Paul in Colorado like this.

4. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Our blues band subbed for our singer's classic rock band at an Amvets in Grand Rapids. We do enough upbeat stuff it was working but the patrons seemed a little perplexed by it all. So, we pulled a couple of more rock oriented things out of our collective memories later in set two.

The crowd, being well oiled by mid-evening, got into the spirit of things and took it as a sign that it was request night. Most of sets 3 & 4 were spent playing things some of us hadn't played in years (decades?), or never, and definitely never together as a band. One couple was insistent on Unchained Melody...probably 10 years for me and I remembered the key of C but not much else. So, our singer is holding his phone with the chord chart in front of my face while we have at it...all kinds of stuff like that.

Thought we might have to do Rawhide.

Actually, as ridiculous as it was, it was the absolute most fun we have had together as a band. Unscripted, unrehearsed, and at times a train wreck. They want us back (?!) and we handed out cards to another venue manager who was there, and he has already emailed for open dates, as well as half a dozen others who wanted to pass them on to their other favorite watering holes.

You never know how a night will turn out.

teletimetx, -Hawk-, KyAnne and 5 others like this.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Played Thursday Night hosting a Jam Nite.
    Brought out my '78 Red LP Custom (Leslie) for the gig. Hadn't played her in the longest time. It was great.

The only bad thing that night is my friends 'old lady.
    She and I can not have a conversation without things getting ugly. I really brings me down.
    I do nothing but walk on egg shells around her for fear of incurring her Rath. Which is always Profane and at a volume everybody can hear. The last time it happened people were looking at me behind her back. They were making fun of her and thought it was funny, as if to re-assure me.
    I said to myself that this would be the Last time it happens.

I do my best not to provoke her but, it just seems to be in her nature. I explained all of this to MY friend. He's been seeing her for a little more than a year. I've known him for close to twenty.

My approach was to simply avoid talking to her.
    She took notice, so did our mutual friends. Some of them and myself go back decades longer than we've known her.
    Next thing I know, she is shouting at me while there were four people between us "Hey, what's this $$$$ about you HATING me now!!!
    I yelled back: You are putting Words in my Mouth, I don't like that!
    Everybody stopped what they were doing. It's just wrong.

I'm at Work. I don't need that. I'm talking to people, working the sign-up list, making sure that the poeple on stage have their needs met so they can do their thing.
    I don't show up at her job, drunk, and yell at her.

Many, many, hurt feelings. Left everybody there wondering what is going on.

I continued to not talk to her until she left.
    We didn't have a single argument.
    Sadly, until something changes, I see myself as having no choice but to keep as far away as possible.
    WhenI do see her, I'll keep the Peace by keeping my Distance.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I read all of that and came to your signature, "Chicks dig me!" Well, maybe not all chicks... :cool:

7. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    That's what I was thinking as well!

8. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Saturday with my swing band, used my Brad Paisley tele and PRRI.

Today, gypsy jazz using my DuPont DM50 and Fishman Artist Loudbox.

teletimetx, brookdalebill and KyAnne like this.

9. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2007
    fox lake, il
    Last night at a resort. No, not in the tropics but seemed like it as we had to go through a near monsoon to get there. Great fun though. A captive audience so to speak. They are there to party and don't have to drive home. So they party. And we're there to help.

teletimetx, -Hawk- and KyAnne like this.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Only the really, really, cool, to-die-for Chicks. :)
    My old Avatar:
    [​IMG]

teletimetx and Paul in Colorado like this.

11. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    $200 tip for a 9 piece band, that's what stands out the most about my last gig. Too jaded?

12. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Played local Cricket Club on Saturday — very low turnout unfortunately due to school holidays, those that were there were very complimentary however. We ended up playing a 3rd set of requests for the staff and the couple at the bar who were almost the last people left...

First gig with a new drummer, and the first time the drummer and the singer had even met (we had two rehearsals with me covering the vocals, which is never pretty). So all things considered to get through the night with nothing worse than a couple of slightly loose endings, one false start and one ‘go round again’ for a missed vocal cue is a good result. Hope to be back there playing to a bigger audience in a few weeks.

teletimetx and richiek65 like this.

13. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Rodent nest under hood of backup vehicle in garage that needed jumpstart. Gig went great, played a bunch of songs I don't normally do - one lady drove 5 hours, gave me a huge tip, so awesome

teletimetx and Chicago Matt like this.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I just finished a bass gig at my old haunt.
    It was memorable, but not in a good way.
    I told them I need a break.
    I’ve played the venue off and on since 1984.
    We were just awful tonight.
    Bummer.
    I have another gig tomorrow evening, with friends in Burnet, Tx.
    I know tomorrow’s gig will take the “scent” of this one away.

Chicago Matt, thegeezer and 1955 like this.

15. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Played in a restaurant, it's a well-known meeting point for walkers and cyclists; they usually have 1 or 2 bands per month from April to October.
    I'm sort of biased considering these gigs, as the people usually do not attend for the music, I also hate it to be squashed between restaurant tables.
    We did it because it's in the hometown of our drummer and he made the appointment with the idea of gigging there on a regular basis.....but I doubt it will happen.
    The people seemed to like it and a couple of people asked us about playing on birthdays, weddings and the like and , but that happens quite often -without actually booking.

I've been gigging (more or less regularly) for the past 30 years, more and more I get the impression that people kind of like the idea of livemusic when they hear it, but seem to be reluctant actually booking a band. A DJ is cheaper and usually plays even the most ridiculous crap-songs if asked.....what's your impression?

6stringcowboy likes this.

16. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I just had a bar/restaurant gig where:
    1. They only wanted to give us 1/2 hour to set up so as not to lose a few tables too early.
    2. We were expected to move said tables and chairs . . . somewhere.
    3. We were paid crap, with only a small discount on food.
    4. We were expected to move said tables and chairs back when we were finished.
    Yeah, I don't need gigs THAT badly. Sorry guys, call somebody else next time.

17. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Restaurant/bar gig for 4 hours and low pay. It's a regular monthly gig for my trio. Thankfully 7:00 to 11:00 rather than the standard 9:00 to 1:00am around here. We got $174.00 in the tip bucket so that eased the pain of the low pay. Band sounded good and we kept the room full for the entire gig. I still enjoy playing and singing more than anything else I do. I love it. With two still in college though, I'm glad to not be trying to make a living at it anymore.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I just played a benefit for a child abuse prevention charity in Burnet, Tx.
    The band was made up of dear old friends, and everyone had a beautiful time.
    Lots of money was raised, as were my spirits after last night's debacle.
    Yes!

Kingpin, teletimetx and wulfenganck like this.

19. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Small party gig with a voice/bass/guitar trio, subset of a larger swing group I play with that does a lot of Boswell/Andrews Sisters tunes using 3 vocalists. I used my Guild Aristocrat and PRRI. Swing standards. First full gig for the vocalist as the only singer, she was nervous, but old hat for me and the bass player. Loads of fun though, with the bassist and I doing a lot of solos trading!

teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.

20. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

played one of our regular gigs last night.. there's usually a big crowd already there when we start but due to Midnight Oil playing to 19000 people at a winery 5 mins up the road, we had 4 people in the joint when we kicked off our first set.. luckily by the time we started our second set, the Oils had finished and a big crowd poured in ready to party, the place was at bursting point and we could do no wrong. A great night!

AAT65, Guitarteach, ecoast and 2 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.