Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Fri I got caught in a traffic standstill on the highway, got to the (solo) gig not long before showtime, and instead of hurrying and worrying to set up, I went around and talked to folks. I went to my vehicle and grabbed a couple things, set up in 10 minutes or so and started right on time and played 2 hours straight.

Sat. I played 2 hours straight, too, did a few I hadn't done in years, visited my paralyzed friend in the rehab center.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I subbed (again) with the Lost Sounds.
    We played the recently renovated Albert Dance Hall.
    The stage area is much bigger!
    There is plenty of room for everyone and everything.
    The place was full of great dancers and we relentlessly kept them busy.
    I love playing with these guys.
    I have been subbing for their busy young lead player regularly (once or twice a month) for the last couple of years.
    I played my Chet and gold top Les Paul.
    I have been trying to bond with the Paul's P90 pickups, but to no avail.
    I see mini humbuckers in it's future.
    I had a beautiful time, and made good money!
    Life's good!

Chicago Matt and haggardfan1 like this.
  3. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    Birthday party. Rural gig with no restrictions on what to play, how long, how loud, nothing. She paid us good, but got us a half gallon of Wild Turkey, lol...
    Here's one from very early on. Dead-nuts cover, or nearly....

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My Tracie Lynn gig at Mercer Street Dancehall went very well.
    The crowd was small, but enthusiastic, and we had them dancing instantly.
    The hall owner is an old friend and Tracie's former bass player.
    He did our sound perfectly, and we sounded
    tight and rehearsed (mostly).
    I'm responsible for the "mostly" part, I bobbled a bit.
    Guitarist Lonnie was playing great and drummer Rich is super easy to lock with.
    Tracie was great and charming, as usual.
    I'm a lucky ol' warrior!

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Forgot my teles duhhhhh had to backtrack about a half hour, made me rush a bit setting up, played over two hours, drove back in bad storms, saw some hail on the highway and a mini dust-cloud twister thing

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Party gig. I played bass and we played "favorites through the decades" for a county lunchworker annual party. The leader of the band works for the county as well so this was an unpaid fun gig. The rest of the band goes to church together and is the contemporary praise band. (I know the drummer). Second time I have played with these guys. Fun, sloppy, winging it, but a good time. Must have been 300 people there having a good time. Hot because they don't run the a/c after hours in the county buildings.

PWC Party 1.jpg PWC Party 2.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I was just thinking the same thing. I'll be 68 in July. I was dragging a bit yesterday, schlepping my gear, setting up, etc. Once we started playing though, the cares and stiff joints melted away. I definitely still love it. I was so energized after the gig I couldn't sleep for two hours after I got home. Life is good indeed! :)

9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Did a casual at the Quantico Officers' Club last night (Sat.). First time using the "ampless" pedalboard on a gig with this band. The reason I put "ampless" in quotes is that I took a Bugera AC60 acoustic amp as a personal monitor, up on a stand and pointed back at me just as insurance against an unsatisfactory monitor mix. Glad I did for my own enjoyment of the gig, but overall the ampless board sounded pretty good: GBC 95 Crybaby (true bypass mod), first-gen Jekyl & Hyde, Caline Blue Ocean, Voodoo Labs Giggity, ADA GCA-2 cab emulator.

10. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Keys player calls me at noon yesterday and says he noticed on Facebook an area brewery is advertising us as the evening's entertainment. Three of our bandmates our out of town. Obviously, some kind of mixup has occurred. He called them and yup, they are expecting us. So, we assured them we will show up with something but not our blues/R&B band.

He recruits his father-in-law, who is a jazz/funk fan and outstanding bassist. At the very last minute, he finds a drummer. It is the music director of an area school who earned his Ph.D. in percussion theory. To complete the picture, our keyboardist routinely warms up for our blues gigs absent mindedly playing Bach cantatas and the like. Yours truly is a lifetime weekend hack self-schooled in rock and roll and blues.

Anyway, we have no plan, no setlist but with the exception of me, massive amounts of talent. The bassist starts some jazz fusion riff in A and we're off to the races. The drummer is without a doubt the best I have ever played with in my life. I know nothing about this kind of stuff but in a few minutes I'm improvising chord progressions, experimenting with scale extensions and modes I only vaguely understand and we're making it all work.

Apparently this goes to the theory that you should always try and play with musicians better than you are. They make it easy for you to push the envelope and make yourself better. It brings things out in you that you didn't even know were there.

We played an eclectic evening. Besides all the jazz/funk stuff, we wandered into a handful of blues tunes and oddly, broke into a medley of half a dozen Beatles tunes at one point.

Oh yeah, in the midst of this some guy walks up and asks if he can sit in and play some saxophone. We said sure, why not, we have no idea what we're doing anyway. Oh...my...gawd. It was the ghost of Clarence Clemons. Blazing solos with subtle and tasteful background playing and fills the rest of the time. Stayed on stage for about an hour. Said thanks and walked off. He probably disappeared in a ghostly mist in the parking lot.

It was a hoot. We showed up, introduced ourselves to each other and started playing without a word. Did three hours and kept the patrons in the place. Afterwards, the owners asked if they could book us back for a couple more dates. They thought a fusion band would be good in their rotation...but could we show up with our blues band the next time we're on the marquee?

11. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    My band played a small music festival/ village fete yesterday. It was a family day type thing I managed to keep my potty mouth in check ( phew). It was nice to play on an outside stage and the sun was shining. We did a 10 song set of originals and a cover of pretty in pink to finish.
    Because I'm not used to playing out doors I was slightly freaked out at not being able to see the leds on my pedals and I was using a supplied amp ( Blackstar Id core 150) which sounded remarkably similar to my Roland cube, would have preferred to use my blues junior but couldn't be bothered carrying it from the van as we parked quite a way away. Overall it was a lot of fun and hopefully we will be invited back next year.

12. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Friday - small rock festival. Very good stage, perfect size I think. Gig went very well axcept for one little mishap that we could just laugh off. Many of our songs starts with bassplayer doing a Dee Dee-style count-in. For some reason this night's set list had only one song that starts this way. I didn't think we had that many songs with other types of intros. Well, when that song came, bass player counted but... His mic wasn't in the monitors. We couldn't hear him! Me and drummer were both looking at him, so by visual cue we started at the same time. Unfortunately at different tempos. While we were trying to quickly adjust ourselves into something common, singer came in at... I dunno. Yet another tempo and offbeat. There we burst into laughter, stopped and went straight into next song.

I borrowed this picture from local newspapers' online edition.

Hymans Gamen 2017.jpg

Saturday's (very) small club gig went OK but wasn't really anything to write home about.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The Rotten Tommys had two great opening bands last night downtown at the Frequency- The Tattooed Millionaires, very cool sleaze-rock from Minneapolis, and The Rumours, a great rockin female fronted and bass-ed band from Watrerloo IA.

It was awesome to play with such cool bands. I loved both band's material and they seemed to dig us, too

14. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Small bar gig in Singapore called Barbershop by Timbre, about max 100 pax capacity.

Played a bunch of funk, soul and pop covers. We were pretty tight until the last song, when a combination of the bass player's pedal power kept cutting in and out, the drummer comically lost one of his sticks after a drum fill, and the singer lost her **** laughing at the sight of the drummer slipping up.

First time I brought out my Mesa Boogie ROV 25 head and a Mojotone 1X12 cab loaded with Eminence Texas Heat. Combined with my Gibson Nighthawk Standard and a modified Boss SD-1 for solo boosts, it was pretty killer; had a number of compliments on my tone.

Attached Files:

15. TurboStang

TurboStang Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Was a killer gig this past Saturday. First show with the new H&K GrandMeister 40 Deluxe, and it passed with flying colors. Fun crowd.

My Pet Octopus @ Gerstle's Place in Louisville, KY, 5/20/17

www.facebook.com/mypetoctopus/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ecoast and Kingpin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.