Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I just finished a trio gig at a nice ranch in the Texas Hill Country with my friends Tracie and Lonnie.
    We played on a small stage outside, while happy pre-school age kids ran around laughing.
    I played bass on this one.
    I used my PRS Kestrel with tape wound strings and my PJ with rounds into my GK amp.
    The people at the gathering danced and enjoyed us.
    Big fun!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    4pickupguy, String Tree and rosellem like this.
  2. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2003
    Denver
    I hope you do make it, Paul. Our gig schedule is posted on our Reverb Nation website - www.reverbnation.com/theroyalaces

3. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Brewery gig again Saturday. Always good hours. Keyboard player had said he had a conflict and couldn't make it. Winged it with guitar, bass, drums and vocalist. Worked out fine. The assembled semi-multitude stuck around and was appreciative. Even got a couple good comments from a couple of musicians, who are normally a little stingy in that regard...

Oh, keyboard player wandered in an watched about a set and a half. Go figure.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Tracie and I did a duo gig in the front room of the Broken Spoke last Thursday.
    It was a last minute thing.
    I guess there was a booking mixup and Tracie got the call to sub.
    We started about a half hour late, but no one squawked, or cared.
    We sounded really good, if I do say so myself.
    Tracie is a wonderful songwriter and an old friend.
    The $ was kinda scrawny, it's a tips + dinner/drinks gig.
    Glad I got the call!

teletimetx likes this.
  6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Tonemonkey and ndcaster like this.
  7. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I did a gig at the Shade Tree Saloon with the Lost Sounds last night.
    We had a small but attentive crowd, and a few dancers.
    I had a minor technical difficulty, an intermittent cord.
    That was my only hassle of the evening.
    After the gig, the poor drummer/PA owner's equipment trailer had a flat.
    His spare was flat too.
    Luckily he was surrounded by Boy Scouts, and we had him rolling home quickly.
    I play with them again tonight in Albert, Tx.
    I love this one, it's well attended with (nice) characters.
    Looking forward to it!

8. DarkKnight37

DarkKnight37 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2016
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I played Saturday at the Crawfish Music Festival at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum. Small crowd because we played at 4:00 pm; I'm sure more people showed up that evening for the headliner (some modern mainstream "country" "artist"). They had some backline gear, so I didn't have to haul my Hot Rod Deluxe up the steps to the stage. I really wanted to use the Twin Reverb Reissue they had, but it was on the opposite side of the stage, so I settled for the 4x10 Hot Rod Deville. The gig went well. We only played 45 minutes or so and I didn't mess up too many times. We had practiced Friday night, so the songs were fresh on my mind (I don't listen to mainstream country, so those songs are rarely fresh on my mind).

The guitar player in the band after us used his own Line 6 full stack instead of the Twin Reverb that was set up right beside where he put his amp. I just shook my head. Different strokes and all that, I suppose.

9. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    My gig in beautiful downtown Albert, Tx with the Lost Sounds was a lot of fun.
    I had a great time, again.
    I sub in this band fairly often, so I am familiar with their repertoire, and they know mine.
    It's an outdoor gig, with an indoor option if necessary.
    It was windy before the sun went down, and pleasantly cool after.
    We had a good sized crowd, and lots of dancers.
    What made it extra special was my new guitar.
    I traded my reissue 57 gold top (even) for a reissue 54 Custom with factory Bigsby.
    Love it.
    I just got it, went to the gig, did a quick picnic table restring and set up, and played it at the gig.
    I LOVE the Alnico V neck pickup on this guitar.
    The bridge P90 will be replaced with another Alnico V ASAP.:)

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Did you change your name?

thegeezer likes this.
  11. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Nope...the brewery put up their own sign. Hey, maybe that's why our keys player showed up for a beer...he didn't realize it was us?

12. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The Billy Dee Three played Riley's Tavern last night.
    The attendance was very light, but we were all really on our game.
    I restrung and set up my main guitars right before the gig.
    I ended up using my B bender (avatar) and my new (to me) Les Paul.
    The great sound man, guitarist, and amp builder, (Ace Pepper) sat in on the last set and we rocked out.
    It's amazing how playing loud guitar can make a geezer (me) feel young and alive.
    Must be why I still love it!

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Played FoCoMX last night, our local SXSW kind of thing. 200+ bands over two days all over downtown Fort Collins. The Colorado Green Band played at 10:30 at a beer bar with more beers then you can shake a stick at. We got good comments and played well. I think there will be future gigs coming from connections we made.

I went back today as a listener. I attended a couple of workshops and then heard some friends play sticking around to hear the next three bands before going home. I was on public transportation and didn't want to stay out too late. It snowed yesterday and this morning so it was cold to be out. It was good to hear some bands I wouldn't have heard otherwise. One was a blues band. I've heard enough blues to last a lifetime, but these guys were really good. I especially liked the guitarist because he had more of a jump blues feel and wasn't recycling the King Family or SRV licks.

Anyway, here's a picture a friend took.

Colorado Green Band FoCoMX 2017 John Burt.jpg

I guess it's supposed to look like that. :cool:

teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Did my regular Wednesday night house band gig. Kind of bittersweet, as our bass player "retired" from the band. He's otherwise very busy, has a duo act with his wife (the Hanshaws) and the house band gig just isn't convenient- he lives way out in the country near Fulshear.

At the same time, found out that our fiddle player will be gone by next month as well - he's moving to Austin with his girlfriend to be near the grandkids.

So in one month we go from a 5-piece to a trio.

It was a fun gig though- felt like we all played well to give him a good send off.

15. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    Smith and Cole played downtown Maryville, Tennessee's Friday Night Lights. We were on the sidewalk. There was no place for an audience. We were playing to foot traffic.

From 5 to 6:15 wasn't inspiring, but we soldiered through it.

From 6:30 to 8:00 was better. Cooler, more listeners, some dancers, and that got us in the zone.

It was our third gig. We played a solid two hours and fifteen minutes of actual music and left a chunk of the book untouched. It's coming together. Now it's time to build all the promo stuff.

16. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX

Hi bill,

Ya that black beauty custom with the bigsby, heck of a nice Les Paul! I bet she is very fun to play.

Very nice meeting you last weekend too.. hope we can cross paths again soon, and I enjoy your gig reports.

Take care.. Allen

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    image.jpeg I played a house party with some dear friends two days ago.
    My best friend and former bandmate Larry, friends Benny, Brett and Terry and I had a great time.
    The afternoon party was well attended with old friends of our's, and neighbors of our host.
    There was great BBQ and the wives all made great side dishes.
    Everyone is a pro level player and singer and it was a joy.
    Left to right Larry, Brett, Benny "The Bush" (sorry Benny), me, and Terry.
    The party/gig is now officially semi annual (twice a year)!

4pickupguy and Big_Bend like this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Played the Loveland Plant Sale today. I pulled out mystery tunes, songs the band might have played before. We did the acoustic set, an electric set and a mixed set. We got a lot of compliments, more money then I was expecting and they want us back next year. I didn't get any plants as they started tearing down before we finished. Overall, a good gig. We were outside under trees and a pop up, there was a breeze and it was sunny. I may have gotten a slight sunburn. My voice was cracking a bit. It's allergy season and I have a dry cough that I can't seen to lose.

I just got a text from the drummer that the video came out well. There was a woman taking pictures that I gave a card to, who I hope will send some copies of her work. She had a big fancy camera and seemed to know how to use it, so we shall see.

Anyway, it's nice to play for people who appreciate what you do, even if they aren't dancing or clapping, a lot of people came over to compliment us.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  19. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Last night I guested on guitar with the Paula Russell band.
    We played the Manchaca Senior Activity Center mixer dance.
    We had the dancers up instantly, and this band of friends sounded great.
    Bass player Wade's new Ibanez hollow body bass sounded great, and guitarist Greg and I worked together seamlessly.
    The drummer, Captain Billy, is a bandmate from 32 years ago.
    Yikes!
    Paula is a wonderful singer, and she has a great repertoire of classic country and rock.
    I subbed for Paula's lead guitarist, musical director, and TDPRI member Leon Grizzard.
    I occaisionally sub (on bass) for Wade in this band, too.
    I get to play with Leon on those dates.
    Big fun!

20. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Did a fete with the duo. We played really well. We are just gretsch, some acoustic guitar and some percussion with Vocals. We slammed it. Best we've played.

21. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Sunday I played a 25 minute Country set solo at church. The rest of the band was not available. Had the B Bender Tele, the Vintage Sound V15 amp, compressor, slap back, chorus, clean boost. Vocalist Live 3. Backing tracks on the iPad. Mother's Day so I had my set well practiced, but Mom was here visiting from SC and that made me nervous. I covered up a miss on one intro, but I don't think the audience could detect anything.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.