Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Talk About Your Last Gig Here

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    You're absolutely right, we would have played anyway. It was a bit of a surprise, and you are right, if they had mentioned it first and apologised we would have felt better about it. We were left feeling that the pub had pulled a fast one because they didn't mention it up front. It's all in the communication. I've always felt that telepathy is an inefficient means of communication.

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    A friend gave me a guitar! This is the second time this has happened to me at a gig in the last couple months, so now I have 2 extra ones!

teletimetx and 68Telebass like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I played at Donn's Depot last night.
    I am back playing Tuesdays there with owner/singer/pianist Donn and his drummer son, Matt.
    Our friend Kelly sat in on bass, and we sounded good.
    Great evening!
    I started playing at Donn's around 1985.
    It hasn't changed a bit (in a good way).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

4. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    USA
    I'd like my last gig to be like 'Christmas in Heaven', a glitzed out showstopper with a big modulation towards the end of the last song.

5. rosellem

rosellem TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Palm Harbor Fl
    Played our company picnic today....We had some issues... lol

snake had some unexpected issues...
    one active speaker died
    Mixer took a dump...

Luckily we brought spares and after 4/5 songs everyone was in the grove after rushing a soundcheck and starting off... We had a great time today with people staying to the very end. In fact, we ended up playing many more songs then we had prepared as the crowed wanted more. I'm exhausted!

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    When you said "Snake had unexpected issues" I thought you were talking about a real snake causing problems. I guess I've lived out west for a long time.

Glad you got things worked out and rocked!

7. rosellem

rosellem TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Palm Harbor Fl
    LOL.. well we are in florida.. Lots snakes here to...

String Tree and Paul in Colorado like this.

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    New band photo from our gig last weekend.

[​IMG]

This motley crew is me, my son Zak the bass player with the rainbow hat, Keenan our newest member, and Mark the best drummer in Houston.

We had some band drama recently and my other guitar player quit, then the lady keyboardist we had decided to also take a break.. so we added Keenan fulltime to the lineup, and man is this a fun group! We had a blast playing last Saturday night at Jimbos Roadhouse in Hockley Texas. I love being a 4 piece again, and Keenan is a tremendous guitar player, singer and song writer.

I actually played my Gibson WM-45 acoustic over half the night, since Keenan was tearing it up with his custom shop telecaster, Swart amp and nice pedal board. The rest of the night I played my stratocaster deluxe into my recently acquired 73 silverface deluxe reverb which sounded glorious. We had fun. :)

take care...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

9. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2011
    Southampton, UK
    So, who's the short bloke between Zal and Keenan? It's a bit of bad form leaving one of your band members out. You need to sharpen up Buster.

OlRedNeckHippy and Big_Bend like this.

10. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX

lmao! :D Ya we love the wooden indian there at Jimbos. He keeps the good mojo flowing for sure lol. This is not the first band photo we've taken in front of our friend... he's cool. All good lol.

68Telebass likes this.

11. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I had two today, the people were really nice, the second one got paid double plus tips, took a bunch of requests.

String Tree likes this.

12. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    You da Man!!- Someone didn't show for second gig leaving you holding the bag (of $$)?
    Sounds like a great day!

13. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Piñon Pickers played the "Staff Appreciation" at the Chinle Health Center on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona. One of our multi-instrumentalists (guitar, mandolin, vocals and soon...banjo!) is a doctor of optometry there, you see. (He was able to play our appreciation in Piñon last fall..)
    Played from about 10:45 or so to about 12:40- staff in and out as we soldiered on- appearance by OR in scrubs for the heart of the set- nice!
    Played our usual blend of country/rez two-step flavored covers (riptide, knee deep, ain't goin' nowhere, the Weight, Dixieland delight, heart of gold, 17 cents, country roads (always a crowd pleaser...), home (philip Phillips) and G Staight love's gonna make it alright)-
    Played a few of the leader's (great) originals- Ashkii Nizhoní (beautiful boy), and "Low Mountain Girls"- which we had a few requests to play again for an encore. We have that one actually recorded- and hope to hear it on Hopi Radio someday- of course the mastering..
    Well, played well- first time playing my new Jazz Bass in "anger"- went through my new Behringer BDI21 box DI to PA- set to "SVT" style, it was like having my Ampeg there, but fitting in my case Bwahahahaa!!!
    Hopefully pics to follow- me and my better half (rhythm ) had to blow directly back to Piñon and get back to work for the afternoon- Whew!
    Next up- Gallup, New Mexico- coffeehouse Saturday gig in mid May during one of the Art Walks- should be fun-

brookdalebill likes this.

14. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Thanks, 68Telebass! No, they just paid me double because they were really happy. This was a private solo gig for a really nice family and their neighbors, but I took requests that they loved and even did one I didn't know at all, didn't mess it up much I don't think.

The time for that second one changed a couple times after my first gig, and it was a surprise, so I had to go around the back of the door through a gate and stuff after hiding.

It was close getting there at the right time after load out across town from the first gig, but everything worked out great.

The first gig was drop-dead gorgeous of a room with huge stained glass and a nice stage, awesome folks.

68Telebass likes this.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I played the Pecan Street Brewery in Johnson City last night with Tracie Lynn.
    I played bass, and used both my basses.
    I played the PRS Kestrel wth tape wound strings for the first set, and my Strings &'Things PJ with rounds for the second set.
    The crowd was small but attentive, and the food was great!
    Another good one!
    I have a trio gig with TL today, with a different guitar player than last night.

16. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    From last Sunday, playing "We Are The Champions" with a church choir. Great band, great choir, always a ton of fun. (For those of you thinking, "We Are The Champions"? WTF?? The lyrics were rewritten slightly to make the song pertinent to the coming fund drive...)

[​IMG]

17. bob mason

bob mason TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    US
    Nothin like playing biker benders....always a party

rebelwoclue likes this.

18. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2003
    Denver
    The Royal Aces surf band had a great time at Denver's historic Berkeley Inn...one of those venues where you just always get a happy, responsive crowd (with someone taking artsy photos)
    berkeleyapril.jpg

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Royal Aces Rule!

I'm overdue in coming down to see you guys. I just got a Fender Jaguar and I'm working up some of the Surf Standards. I need some inspiration. Maybe do a band field trip with my music pals.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Hosted my 4th Second Thursday-of-the-month Jam the other night.
    Happy to say I was just too busy to take pictures.
    Several Bands came-out to do their thing.
    I kind of like that. It brings a different energy to the stage.

Still had all the others and it was great.
    Met a new Drummer and he just rocked our world.
    He split before I could get his contact info. Solid as a Rock, excellent Meter ...

The Bass player and I got the Hose PA up and actually running way ahead of schedule. All three of us were up on the stage acting like the world was about to end because we were in our usual hurry-up mode only to find-out, we had a full 30 minutes before we had to start! We took a deep breath and started to laugh.
    It's amazing how something so simple can set the Tone for the night.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.