Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Talc Powder...on fretting hand

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by historicus146, Dec 1, 2012.

1. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    Saw Keith Richards throw some talc on his fretting hand in a replay of the Stones at the MAX (2010)..

then I remembered an old Ray Flacke instructional video where he recommended the same...

I guess if you get your strings for free and someone else changes them out, why not?

Anyone subscribe to this? Just curious.

2. Phat-o-Caster

Phat-o-Caster Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    I keep a little bottle of baby powder on top of my amp and if things get to sticky I'll dust my left hand+ it's good if you want to shoot a little pool too. Never had any issues gunkin' up strings.

3. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    Playing a gig during the hot and humid months, especially outdoors...yep, I use it all the time. It helps quite a bit. Just clean your strings with a little rubbing alcohol on a rag if you're concerned the talc will gunk them up. Actually, that's a good thing to do any time after playing.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I seem to remember seeing Jeff Beck using talc on his hands on one of the Crossroads dvd's. I guess these gigs in the US in mid summer can get a bit sweaty!

6. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2008
    Antioch, IL
    He also gave some to Bill Murray while they were backstage. Not sure why....maybe it helped keep his punchlines from sticking.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The other guitar player in my band uses it all the time. I've never noticed his strings being funky or anything. Seems to work fine.

8. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    I have an Ashbory bass (with the silicone strings), and keep a talcum bag (available at bowling alley pro shops) for the fretting hand (well, if it had frets).

9. ddewerd

ddewerd Tele-Afflicted

I occasionally use it, but only on the palm (for the back of the neck) and never on my fingers. I guess I want my hand to slide but my fingers to stick

Cheers,
    Doug

10. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

May 16, 2009
    NJ
    I lived in the tropics for a spell and use to do this. Actually, I preferred Ammens Powder. Anyway, it was great in those conditions. Never had trouble with strings. +1 to the rubbing alcohol comment, but I also used Fast Fret. Between the two it kept the guitar in good shape. If it's sweaty, the powder actually cleans and buffs up the guitar nicely. If the poster of the Beach Guitar" thread isn't following this, we should move this over there.

11. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    Frank Zappa used it all the time too.

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm not a sweaty guy.

13. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

May 12, 2003
    Both Beck and Ray Flacke use talc on their fretting hands. I wouldn't want powder all over my guitar, but hey, that's me.

:lol:PJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.