Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Taking my wife for Stage 1 of citizenship tomorrow

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Long story, but for those of you unfamiliar with the process, there is virtually no difference between a Permanent Resident Alien with a Green Card, and a U.S. citizen.

Except you can't vote. Which she now wants to. And also, of course, which country you pledge allegiance to, and which passport you hold. I met her in 1988 in Venezuela, and we married there.

Married 29 years, and NOW she wants to become a citizen. Because of...well...I can't explain it. Except to say our political views vary.

That's all I have to say about this, because the mods are dying to shut this down because it will be determined as political discussion, which is banned.

I'm hoping she'll be deported tomorrow for lack of providing sex to her husband, but things are really screwed up here now.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I remember when my mother and I were naturalized. She was beaming. And the thing she wanted to do first as soon as she got that paper in her hand was to vote. It's a very powerful motivator. She instilled that importance of voting in me. I vote.

Your politics may not agree, that's ok.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    My cousin lived in New York as a consulting Engineer and CEO for years, as well as his wife, and they enjoyed living overlooking Central Park. They could reside there, work there, but , as you say, not vote. That seems natural as they were never US citizens.
    Congratulations to your wife who wishes to have her say. It's compulsory here $100 fine if you are registered and don't vote.
    Maybe they should fine your wife for non-compliance on that last one.;)

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think we need to bring in the "P" word to congratulate your wife on wanting to make it solid and complete. We all came from somewhere...

Tell her congrats and thanks!

5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Congrats to your wife for wanting to do that, and I hope the reason for you wanting her deported turns around, and fast.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Just one more way you can cancel one another out! :D

Ira7 and Toto'sDad like this.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Since I think this whole post is way beyond my meager ability to comprehend, I'll just say I hope that things turn out...

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My BIL and a Son-in-law have gone through the process. Patience is the key word and don't forget to dot all of the "i"s and cross all of the "t"s.

And I fully understand even with current events.

9. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    My dad came here in 1983 and wanted citizenship as soon as he could. He married, and did everything he could but didn't get it until maybe 1996/1997.

JuneauMike likes this.

10. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ

11. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2016
    Southern California
    My wife became a citizen, after living here over 20 years, in 2005. I was proud then, and more proud now that she has become involved in our community. Here's free advice: "If she's not happy you'll be miserable".

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    My wife also wants to start the process. She's been here 14 years and we'll be married 11 years next month.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Yay! Best of luck.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    In my experience there is no greater motivation to get it done than to tell some one they can’t do something..

15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, we’re sitting in the “waiting room” now.

Can’t find the bar.

telemnemonics and Anode100 like this.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ¡buena suerte para usted y su esposa en este esfuerzo!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Toto'sDad likes this.

17. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Good for her! Just an observation; for a couple of years I taught Social Studies in an urban high school. 10th grade was U.S. History and 11th grade U.S. government. My student population was economically and socially diverse. Students whose parents ranged from being faculty at the University of Minnesota to well to do business types and professionals to new immigrants working two jobs and as often the case the students were new as well. They were from Latin America, several countries from North and East Africa, Eastern European and, one year, a British citizen and a couple of Germans.

Their specific citizenship status I had no knowledge. Now with all the implications for teaching that comes with a diverse population, the overall ability of all the students needed to be assessed so I can modify my future instruction accordingly. One of my initial formative assessments I would give out would be one of the practice test for U.S. citizenship. 100 questions and a bubble sheet. I had 130 students.

Consistently the new immigrants, Non-U.S. citizens and 1st generation U.S. citizens performed better that those who had families with a long history in the U.S.

Just sayin'

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Lupo, Wally, awasson and 3 others like this.

18. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Sounds like you are suffering a misery of your own making.

Good on her for the self-actualizing move.

19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Hip-flask.

The sign of civilisation.

awasson likes this.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^ And Bay Rum after shave !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.