Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Taking my '63 for a Refret Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by ddewerd, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, it's finally going to happen.

I am taking my beloved, one and only 1963 Tele to Danny Shoemaker at Straight Frets in Austin, TX for some major work.

I've had this guitar since 1972, and it's been a real work horse for me. Always been my #1, and been rode hard and put up wet (although I've been a lot more careful over the past years).

It's never had a refret, and from the pics you can see there's some pretty deep divots. Danny seems like a pretty straight up guy, so I will pretty much take his advice on what I need.

I am going to have him do the frets and anything else the neck might need. He has a Plek machine so I guess that will be part of it too. The frets are thin so I'll try to keep it as close to the original size as I can (I'm not a fan of jumbo frets). And I'm also going to have him replace my volume knob - one half of the split shaft broke and I've got it cobbled together with a piece of electric tape underneath. I'll also have him do a full setup on it.

I'll try to get him to take a couple of pics of the neck date and pocket too. It's been many years since I removed the neck, but I always used to call it a '62, as that's what I remember seeing on the neck date. But the serial number is definitely '63. So I figure it was assembled in 1963, but maybe they had a '62 neck in the bin!

I'm pretty excited. I've been struggling a bit with the guitar over the past few years and kind of felt like I was fighting it. I did a lot of checking around and Danny seems like he's got the chops to do a good job.

I'm dropping it off tomorrow, but I won't get it back for a few weeks as I will be out of town. I'll report back once I get it back in my hands.

Cheers,
    Doug
    20180413_102312.jpg 20180413_102325.jpg 20180413_102348.jpg 20180413_102402.jpg 20180413_102419.jpg

Chuckster likes this.

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Is your repairman aware that vintage Fender frets were installed from the side, and should be removed and replaced the same way? Completely different from any other fret replacement.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

3. ddewerd

I am hoping he knows, as he seems to have worked on quite a few vintage instruments. But I'll mention it anyways.

FYI, his site is www.straightfrets.com

Cheers,
    Doug

4. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    ddewerd, take a look at this video for insight on how to refret vintage Fender's

lp special and Chuckster like this.

5. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Good move! It can be a big step to make but these guitars are meant to be played and good new frets are a joy to play and sound better!

6. ddewerd

That's what I'm hoping Danman!

Like I said, over the past few years I felt like I was fighting my guitar when I played it. Things like sustain, pinch harmonics, and just playing in general. It just doesn't have the same feel that it used to.

And I figure since it hasn't ever been refretted in its 55 year life, if I get a good one done, it will hopefully last my lifetime!

Cheers,
    Doug

Danman likes this.

7. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I have seen worse. Sure you want a full refret? I would try just plekking it first.

8. ddewerd

I will have him take a look and see what I need. If I can get by with a partial refret and a Plek, I'd go that route

Cheers,
    Doug

hrstrat57 likes this.

9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    It is hard to tell looking at pictures but them there frets look like there is still plenty of life in them the fella might just suggest a re-crowning

BopT likes this.

10. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Germany
    To the OP:
    it would be interesting to know whether the old frets are pulled from top or sideways (there's a rumour that Fender used to install frets sideways so the dents the studs leave in the wood are sideways, and damage may occur if they are just pulled).

To anyone: does anybody know whether that rumor is true?

11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    does the plek machine crown or just level?

12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Yes that is true. Untill way into the 70s. The best ones could fret a neck in 20 seconds!

13. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    It does both. And quite well I might add.

eclecticsynergy likes this.

14. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    How does one install a fret "sideways?" not getting the concept at all.

15. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    Watch that video posted above.......

16. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

Please, no....don't make me look at that hideous thing!

Rustbucket and Chuckster like this.

17. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod
    Are you nervous?

I think I need a refret on my '89 Strat Plus, but it still plays and sounds amazing (well, as good as it can sound with me playing it). I'm afraid it might not be the same when I get it back from a refret, so I've been hesitant.

20170401_173914.jpg

I'll be watching this thread and looking forward to hearing your experiences.

18. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I was born in ‘63 too. I probably need a refret as well...

19. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it’s great. You’re putting new life into YOUR #1 and after the work Is done, you should Get another 55 years of enjoyment out of her!

20. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    If you have a reputable luthier, you shouldn't worry. I just had my 69 RW tele refretted for around $300 and it's perfect... WAY better than the flattened dented frets I've been enduring for years.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.