Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Taking multiple Guitars to a Gig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alamo, Jan 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM.

Would this Soft Multi Case float your boat?

1. Yes sure, only one trip to the car. nice

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. No. never. I wouldn't trust it. Could break all my guitars at once

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Good Idea but needs more refinement. back to the drawing board

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  4. other

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Normally I refrain from negative comments, but this guy is terrible: The terrible stream of meaningless words presented in a terrible accent, the self-indulgance and most of all his "sense of humour".

41144, OlRedNeckHippy and Tony Forman like this.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Need to be solid, hold three guitars & bits, have wheels and transform / fold into a stand.

Alamo likes this.

3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Two guitars in a wheeled case? Definitely. That's a good idea - as are the two handles (for when a friend helps at load-in).

The combined weight of 5 guitars would offset the convenience of the unit for me.

Having pedalboards in with instruments? Not for me - the risk of 'gouging' from pedal corners is not one I wish to take.

*or* have a reinforced compartment specifically designed for sharper items.

For me, I'd look at a different solution - actual hard cases which lock together (perhaps along the flat top / bottom faces).
    Naturally each of the cases would need to be an inch (or 26mm) longer to house castors at one end, and be fitted with a handle at the other end to allow the stacked cases to be wheeled around.

*Edit* - Bruno is lovely.

nojazzhere and Alamo like this.

4. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    Occasionally I'll tale two guitars but mostly only one. All of my guitars have their own HSC and dedicated strap
    One amp, one guitar, one stuff bag (cables, mic, tubes, etc), one pedal board, one guitar stand, one mic stand (separated base & stand) all barely fits into my wrangler. Four trips to the jeep for everything. I don't mind a little walking
    I would never have one of those bags. Sorry, not my cup of tea

nojazzhere likes this.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I wonder what I would have thought if the video were 5 minutes in length, very direct and bullet pointed and hosted by a cool and calm person.

The guy in the video lost me. It was like watching an ameteur stand up comedian who's bombing.

JayFreddy likes this.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Yeah sure. Seems like a great idea. Carry that thing in one hand, balance the amp head on top of my head, carry my 4x10" with other hand.

Takes only one trip from the car. Brilliant.

41144 and nojazzhere like this.

7. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Once I realised it was "that annoying German guy" I could only tolerate 16 seconds of the vid.

8. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Looks like a pretty good idea, to me. Maybe you only bring 2 guitars, but if you can also use those other slots for stands, pedals, pedal board, chords, etc. and have wheels, it seems like it would make life a lot easier and save those extra trips to the car, risk of loss and theft, etc.

Looks like those internal panels are padded for protection and velcro-ed in, like some of my military and shooting gear bags, so you can rearrange them to fit different guitars (i.e., pull one out and make a space for an acoustic).

Alamo likes this.

9. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Do you currently carry 2 or more separate guitar cases and the amp head and the speaker cab in one trip?

10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    No thanks. Ridiculous product.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't currently gig, but when I did it was still with one guitar, one head and one cab. I never attempted to carry all 3 at once.

12. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I sorta like the idea but the case would have to be able to stand upright half way safe.
    I probably wouldn't use it much for transport, maybe to take a variety of guitars to a studio, or jam.
    it would be nice at home and at rehearsal place as it wouldn't take up much space. the guits would be snug fit and ready to grab.
    guitars stacked up in big cases are usually hard to get at, then need guitar stands and the empty cases moved out of the way.
    In no way is the product intended to replace flightcases for trucking band-on-the-road use.
    look elsewhere.

Prag2.jpg
    btw, why waste your time & comment about the guy in the video?
    it's not about him, it's the product. I'd rather like to talk about that.

if you don't have anything nice to say....

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Looking at the photo, I'd say no. It probably weighs a ton when it's packed full like that, and won't offer the protection that individual hard cases would.

nojazzhere likes this.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

There are wheels on this bag already (~10:40 in the video, but watch close it is in passing, ~20 minutes he rolls it around).

Most of the guitar/gear thefts I have heard about have happened while loading/unloading from the car at a gig. So if you can make it all in one trip you are likely to be a lot safer. A clip strap to bundle an amp on it might help since it has wheels.

Gigging players want to carry two guitars to have one as backup. The number of players that need three is less and the number that need four or five are even fewer. Unless the gig is a session recording artist. Then they don't know what tones the studio/artist will want and so they would take more and five covers all the basic guitar style food groups.

Alamo likes this.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Gig bags are great for people that are only transporting one or two guitars in their personal vehicles. If you're at the point where you're hauling five guitars, you're likely to be using a van or trailer, where the guitars should be in hard cases to protect them from damage in transit anyway.

A five-guitar soft case is a solution to a problem that nobody has.

Dennyf and SheldonP like this.

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yeah - you have to be an actual rock star to need five guitars at a gig, at which point you have roadies to think about this stuff. I think the "backup guitar" idea is even a little silly. Get your main guitar in proper working order, it should be perfectly reliable.

17. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    Ditto.

The strap on my bag let go in the subway the other day and it went straight to the granite platform. It is a very tough gig bag, thankfully, and it contains my favorite axe, which is not the most expensive one. That axe is also very lightweight, which is why, coming sort of full circle, it's the one I grab when going out.

18. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    I play out with six guitars now. All tuned differently. They go in double bags, last thing in the Suburban, first thing out. Never a problem.

19. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I admit, I didn't even watch the video. But I'd never buy it, partly because I used to have a two-guitar gig bag, and even that was too heavy to be comfortable/practical.

(Oh, who am I kidding, it's because I'm too lazy to take more than one guitar to a gig anyway.)

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Some gigs I only take one or two guitar's, also loading guitar's into a crammed vehicle is easier with single or double gig bags. Because they go over your shoulder, your hand is great to grab the door of the venue.

This would require extra space in a vehicle and would create another trip.

Also each guitar has a pocket or two so that I can have a separate strap, tools, etc. kit to go with every guitar I gig.

Because of the size of this, it would likely be loaded into vehicle early, so that is impractical as it wouldn't be good to stack heavy things on top of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.